First Porsche Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
PAJ
PAJ is infamous around these parts
First Porsche Build

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a bit and this is my first post. Let me start off by saying I appreciate all the information the members here provide - it has been extremely helpful!

I have placed a deposit for a late June build 991 S. This will be my first Porsche and it has been a long-time dream of mine to own a 911. I have been addicted to the build configurator and fear it is taking away the little sanity I have left. The problem is the only dealer within a few hours drive has just two 991s in their inventory. Both are optioned the same, and, of course, not close to my realistic build.

I understand that optioning out a 911 is a very personal proposition, but I am still curious to hear any recommendations you would be kind enough to share on my build. So, here it is:

2013 Carrera S 7MT
White Exterior
Black Standard Interior
Sport Seats Plus (Non-Adaptive)
Paragraph Delete
Park Assist F & R (I know, I know...)
PASM Sport Suspension
Sport Chrono Package
20-inch Carrera S Wheel Painted Platinum
Auto Dimming Mirrors
Heated & Ventilated Seats
Sport Design Steering Wheel

I've really struggled with PDK vs Manual, and have not been able to test a manual car. I've driven manuals for many years and just have it in my head that my first Porsche must be a manual.

Sport Chrono Package without PDK has also been a difficult decision.

Lastly, sport seats plus vs. adaptive sport seats plus is purely a guess. I would hate to take delivery of this car and find I can't get completely comfortable in the seats, but I don't really need the memory function or anything else in the Premium Pack (I'd prefer to not have the headlight washers).

I could financially swing adding PDK, Premium Pack, PDCC, etc, but I am at the limit (OK, a little past that limit) of what I am personally comfortable spending on a car!

I guess I am just a bit torn between two schools of thought:

1. This will be my first Porsche, and any configuration will be better than anything I have ever owned, and

2. I am already spending $100K on a freakin' car, what's $10-15K more?

Sorry for the long post. I thank you in advance for any input you may provide!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
welcome to 6speed!

you sound like you are clearly a manual guy as you have enjoyed it over many years. Porsche builds the best manuals,
so why change to automatic if you enjoy 3 pedals? i would stick to the manual!

PDCC is nice but the car is well balanced and ridicilously capable anyway, nice but not necessary!

the seats are very important, it´s like having a nice and healthy bed.
your back will say: thank you!
i would check out the adaptive and non adaptive seats in a 997 at a dealer or so, to find out if you need the extra functions.
personally i would go for adaptive seats. other than that your build looks good!
by the way, i have park assist on all of my cars. most of the time i don`t need it but sometimes i praise the lord for having it!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-18-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Welcome to 6.

I think it's easy to get carried away with options with the mind set "100K... might as well the extra 10K" the slope gets slippery fast and you'll find yourself adding and adding till ya look back and go "I am crazy or what!".

Been there done that.
I think your build looks pretty good, the only thing I'd reconsider (and have, heheh) is the adaptive seats.
Like you I really don't care for the 14 or 18 way adjust-ability however to spend a 100K+ and have a handle in order to slide your seats fore and aft... I just can't live with that.

Especially if your adding the dimming mirrors, heated seats etc anyway.
Btw, you can select the option to paint the headlight washer in exterior color in your build.

Go for the manual while you can... in a few years they may not be around anymore!

Good luck and congrats on achieving you dream!

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
I would add PSE. It's the one option I am looking forward to the most. It sounds absolutely intoxicating and it was a late addition for me as you do have the draw the line in the sand somewhere. I drew mine when I reached the boat

Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Welcome to 6.

I think it's easy to get carried away with options with the mind set "100K... might as well the extra 10K" the slope gets slippery fast and you'll find yourself adding and adding till ya look back and go "I am crazy or what!".

Been there done that.
I think your build looks pretty good, the only thing I'd reconsider (and have, heheh) is the adaptive seats.
Like you I really don't care for the 14 or 18 way adjust-ability however to spend a 100K+ and have a handle in order to slide your seats fore and aft... I just can't live with that.

Especially if your adding the dimming mirrors, heated seats etc anyway.
Btw, you can select the option to paint the headlight washer in exterior color in your build.

Go for the manual while you can... in a few years they may not be around anymore!

Good luck and congrats on achieving you dream!

Cheers!
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
I would add PSE. It's the one option I am looking forward to the most. It sounds absolutely intoxicating and it was a late addition for me as you do have the draw the line in the sand somewhere. I drew mine when I reached the boat
PSE is great BUT as Tromero said:

Originally Posted by tromero
....my base car has the standard exhaust and it's important to note the standard exhaust on the 991 = the PSE on the 997. ...
so the standard exhaust is already really crisp, if you want to save a few bucks...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Damn how could I have missed that!!
Yep get the PSE, not for everyone but I absolutely love it!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I like this build. Mine is somewhat similar:

I had a few differences:

PDCC with SPASM
Full Leather
PSE
Platinum Wheels
Silver Seat Belts (to break up the interior a little). If I did it again, probably would order red seat belts.

For a White/Black car, I really think (personal preference) that the Platinum matte wheels look great. I also think that PSE should be the top option - make that requirement. The others (PDCC and Full Leather) are just to taste.

Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM
PAJ
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, guys - I really appreciate your thoughts.

I will probably end up going with the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus - thus just getting the premium package as I am already getting mirrors and heated seats.

PSE is a bit more difficult for me to decide. I do love the sound of PSE, but just not sure it is a "must have" for me. More for me to ponder...

Thanks again for your insight and welcoming words!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! I agree with Sid about the seats - I have the 14 way and they are very good. I agree with Gleek48 about the wheels - I have them and love them, but my car is silver. I disagree, respectfully, about the PSE. The car is plenty loud in sport mode. This is one option that I expect the novelty to wear off quickly. But, i have heard the car with it and it does sound great - Not $2k+ great, but that is my opinion

I like the PDCC+ SPASM, and have it, but it is expensive and these are much improved in stability overpast versions. It is a tough call, but I like it.

What about stereo? The Bose is expensive and not great. You might do better with a basic and put the money into aftermarket. I also love the voice control.

Enjoy!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM
PAJ
Originally Posted by gleek48
I like this build. Mine is somewhat similar:

For a White/Black car, I really think (personal preference) that the Platinum matte wheels look great. I also think that PSE should be the top option - make that requirement. The others (PDCC and Full Leather) are just to taste.
gleek48-

Your car looks fantastic!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
PAJ
Originally Posted by AG991
Congrats! I agree with Sid about the seats - I have the 14 way and they are very good. I agree with Gleek48 about the wheels - I have them and love them, but my car is silver. I disagree, respectfully, about the PSE. The car is plenty loud in sport mode. This is one option that I expect the novelty to wear off quickly. But, i have heard the car with it and it does sound great - Not $2k+ great, but that is my opinion

I like the PDCC+ SPASM, and have it, but it is expensive and these are much improved in stability overpast versions. It is a tough call, but I like it.

What about stereo? The Bose is expensive and not great. You might do better with a basic and put the money into aftermarket. I also love the voice control.

Enjoy!
Thanks, AG991.

For the stereo, it is all or nothing for me (Burmeister or base). I'm going base, see how it goes, and maybe do something aftermarket if I feel the need.

BTW, I see you are a Mustang guy. I'll be leaving a GT500 for the 991S. Love to have both, but I have a wife I want to keep!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PAJ
Thanks, AG991.

For the stereo, it is all or nothing for me (Burmeister or base). I'm going base, see how it goes, and maybe do something aftermarket if I feel the need.

BTW, I see you are a Mustang guy. I'll be leaving a GT500 for the 991S. Love to have both, but I have a wife I want to keep!
I was shocked when mine let me keep both. They certainly drive differently. Both great. But very different.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I think the importance of the exhaust note is a personal choice (like everything else). My journey to my new 991 started (no joke) with wanting to get a new, nicer sounding exhaust for my 997.2. A few days later I got the present from Porsche announcing the 991 and next thing I know, I ordered a 991. Porsche marketing does work!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
pratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nice
Congrats!!

btw, how do you think the 2013 pure white(0Q) compared with the Carrara white(B4)?

Last edited by pratas; 04-18-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
PAJ -

I am also in the final stages of a potential purchase on a 2013 car .

A few comments -

1) I debated the manual as well . A few things stopped me . I didn't like the position of the lever plus i felt the dash is luxurious . I felt that the manual was out of place for this car .
More importantly --the PDK is greatly improved in the 991 .

2) PSE - I wrestled with this too but PSE also gives the sport tailpipes and the ability to turn it off or on .

3) 10-15K in options ? LOL .. I hear ya . My thinking on this is that the option you miss getting is really missed but the ones you dont need are only felt on the day you sell or trade it in .

4) PDCC --That was also a tough one for me . My thinking is that the most important aspect of a 911 is supposed to be performance so buying an incomplete system leaves out the intended package. I want the full monte!!!

5) I speced about 10 different cars . Every time I tried to save on cost .. I started adding things. I also speced a few lavish cars but in order to buy one I's have to sell my Turbo and I am keeping it .. so the 991S has to be a middle ground to remain within financial limits for me too.

On more thing on the manual --
This video shows them both --
When the PDK car overtakes the 7 speed the message although subliminal implied to me that gadgetry is the new direction of what once was a simplistic car . it was hard for me to digest .. but I am taking baby steps with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Porsche Build