Reactions from the general public with your 991, post your stories here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
Talking Reactions from the general public you get from your 991, post your stories here

Whenever I drive my 991, I noticed a lot more people following me as opposed to my daily driver (1994 Defender90). Generally I always see someone doing the 5 dollar footlong gesture, I think they are trying to explain to their girlfriends that my butt is fat. Last week I was driving up Rodeo drive and this guy followed my car on foot a whole block oggling my rear end all the way to the front. It felt like being naked It's changed me a bit also, now when I look at girls crossing the street or sidewalk, I don't look away in shame when they notice me checking them out. Any of you guys have funny stories with your 991?

Last edited by Neil Mccauley; 04-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
I've seen people turn to look, but I think that is the amazing engine sound from a downshift that gets their attention.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Nothing really out of the ordinary yet.....guy almost got into an accident trying to catch me in traffic to ask me to rev it up....mostly people ask "is that the new one?"

Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
is that a Robert de Niro thread? he certainly likes the 991

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I'd be more curious how many non car enthusiast spectators pick out the difference c/w the 997.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AJag
I'd be more curious how many non car enthusiast spectators pick out the difference c/w the 997.

i consider myself a true carfanatic and i had to look twice this week, when a gray 991 was driving in the opposite lane.
the DRLs look almost the same when switched on but i could identify the rear when the car was driving past me (esp. with that characteristic Porsche lettering on the back). no non-carfanatic will ever spot the difference!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
is that a Robert de Niro thread? he certainly likes the 991

For me, more of his character Neil McCauley in HEAT, not the actual man. It's a shame in reality Deniro is a staunch supporter of the very people that want to re-distribute his wealth.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
i consider myself a true carfanatic and i had to look twice this week, when a gray 991 was driving in the opposite lane.
the DRLs look almost the same when switched on but i could identify the rear when the car was driving past me (esp. with that characteristic Porsche lettering on the back). no non-carfanatic will ever spot the difference!
The changes are definitely subtle. When I talk to non-car enthusiasts they all do seem to feel that the newer model is somehow "fresher" even though they can't describe what specific attributes gives them that feeling.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
For me, more of his character Neil McCauley in HEAT, not the actual man. It's a shame in reality Deniro is a staunch supporter of the very people that want to re-distribute his wealth.

from what i have seen and read it looks like that De Niro is frequently a c*nt in real life, brilliant actor tho.
on the other hand pacino is such a nice, funny, humble and modest person. i love heat, such a great movie and not the typical happy end, all will be good hollywood movie. my favourite scene, in fact this is one of the best movie scenes of all time for me.
sorry, for getting a bit off topic here.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
The first day I drove it home, pulling up to a light with the PSE, I heard a young male saying "that SOUND", and he then ran up to my window to tell me 'amazing car, man!'.

I think the sound differentiates the car more than the look, for non Porsche-philes.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by strife_wy
The changes are definitely subtle. When I talk to non-car enthusiasts they all do seem to feel that the newer model is somehow "fresher" even though they can't describe what specific attributes gives them that feeling.

definitely a great update to the 997, it`s just when the 991 drives by you don`t notice those subtle changes that much. of course itīs different when itīs parking etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
I don't think de Niro is bad. He has his opinions, and is entitled to them, as is anyone else. I can disagree with someone and do so in a civil manner. On a related note, I wish the political opinions could stay in the appropriate forums set aside for them.

Back to thread topic, I notice more looks when I am in sports mode with PSE going then any other time. I get 1/10th the looks and thumbs up as I received in the 997.1 turbo I had.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
it happens to me every time i drive my turbo.. has nothing to do with the car! LOL

Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have PSE, but people have stopped traffic to comment on the car. I don't think non-car nuts can list the differences, especially on the fly. But looking at it, seeing it move, it is clearly a 911, but it is clearly different. To me, for reasons I can't articulate clearly enough, it evokes the 993, but modernized and refined. Just my opinion.

But it is not about what others see, think or feel. It is the way it makes me feel. I won't say it is better looking than my 997 was - the 997 is beautiful. But the more subtile and complex curvature of the hood, and the new rear are to me, sleeker and more elegant - less raw power and more streamlined. I can see 911fans hating it. I saw it, I drove it and I bought it. It took all of an hour to go from very happy owner of an incredible Porsche to not thinking twice about trading it up. I had no real choice. And I love sitting in the ****pit! I don't care what others think or drive. That is their problem. I keep thinking about that song from Outcast, "I love the way you move".

Sorry, perhaps too much. But that is it for me. In most of my life it is all about others, my family, my clients and partners, and they are all great. When I am in this car. Like no other I have had, it is just me.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with AG!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reactions from the general public with your 991, post your stories here