Should I have waited for the 4s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Midlifecrisisguy is infamous around these parts
Should I have waited for the 4s?

First time poster here. Great forum, have picked up lots of info. Recently finalised my 991 order for late May delivery, as follows:

Carrera S
PDK, PDCC, Sport Chrono, 14-way seats, SportDesign Steering Wheel, Burmester, Debadged.
Anthracite Brown Metallic exterior/Luxor Beige full leather.

Drove sportscars in my 20's (M3's mainly), for last 20 years though have driven only "sensible" cars, mainly Landrovers, BMW's and Audi's, all AWD. Love driving, but will likely not track the car. Will drive the car as a DD fairly often in wet and rainy conditions, but almost never on snow and ice.

Am excited to get the car, but have a nagging worry I should have held out for the 4S. My question, directed at those who have experience with both RWD and AWD on the 996 and 997 platforms: would I notice the difference to any appreciable extent in normal spirited road driving?

Last edited by Midlifecrisisguy; 04-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
In dry I think most people prefer the RWD...in very wet the AWD gives better stability.

If you are going to be in the wet fairly often I would have considered the AWD or another alternative is to go with a difference tire then ultra high performance. One that is better in the wet.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Midlifecrisisguy
First time poster here. Great forum, have picked up lots of info. Recently finalised my 991 order for late May delivery, as follows:

Carrera S
PDK, PDCC, Sport Chrono, 14-way seats, SportDesign Steering Wheel, Burmester, Debadged.

Drove sportscars in my 20's (M3's mainly), for last 20 years though have driven only "sensible" cars, mainly Landrovers, BMW's and Audi's, all AWD. Love driving, but will likely not track the car. Will drive the car as a DD fairly often in wet and rainy conditions, but almost never on snow and ice.

Am excited to get the car, but have a nagging worry I should have held out for the 4S. My question, directed at those who have experience with both RWD and AWD on the 996 and 997 platforms: would I notice the difference to any appreciable extent in normal spirited road driving?
Welcome to 6!
I think you'll love the 991, it's become very "user friendly" as a DD.
I find it's as comfortable as my Benz E class but in sport/sport+ mode it turns into a pure sports car.
So you're getting 2 cars for the price of 1 (kinda...).

I placed an order for the C2S but decided to wait for the C4S 991 instead (although the wait is killing me!!!!).
The C2S is more nimble and tail happy (all though the later is greatly reduced in the 991) so some would say it's more "fun" to drive.
The C4S is more planted ( 4wd, wider track and rubber) but the flip side is that it does come at the expense of giving up a bit of the "fun" factor.
That said, you have to really push it in order to notice and if you don't track the car it's minimal at best.

Where you do notice a big difference is when it gets slippery (or pushing to the limit of traction) 'cause the 4WD will go from the 5% to 40% of traction in the front.

I love the look/feel of the C4S and know I would be wishing I'd waited for the wide body every time a 991 C4S drives by so I'm being patient for once in my life... reaaaaal tough to do though!

Hope that answered your question.

Cheers!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
2s is fine specially in Cali! 4s as BuckWheat and Sid say is better on wet surfaces. Another thing 4s will have is a 2.25 inch or so wider rear and a reflector connecting the tail lights.

Congrats and welcome

Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DS997c2s
2s is fine specially in Cali! 4s as BuckWheat and Sid say is better on wet surfaces. Another thing 4s will have is a 2.25 inch or so wider rear and a reflector connecting the tail lights.

Congrats and welcome
My main reason for getting the C4S is the design... I mean look at that @ss!!!

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 02:00 PM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
My main reason for getting the C4S is the design... I mean look at that @ss!!!
+1 Right ON... the stuff dreams are made of!!! I wonder if they will make GTS or C2S w/ wide body a regular line-up for the 991?

Last edited by muifast; 04-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by muifast
+1 Right ON... the stuff dreams are made of!!! I wonder if they will make GTS or C2S w/ wide body a regular line-up for the 991?
I'm a breast man but but with a booty like that... furget 'bout it!
Probably the GTS, although if they do it the same as the 997 line up than that won't be till all the other Gt variants have been released.
Don't think there'll be a C2S wide body though.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I would've....although there's really nothing I like about the 991 so I doubt the 4S will change my mind.

Tom

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
I have the 4S and on dry days I miss the playfulness of a 2S However its my DD and in the snow or extreme wet its great to have the mind bending stability - its glued to the floor. I am not sure why Porsche makes the 4 wide body when the RWD is really the "funner" driving version.

I would not regret the decision from a driving dynamics version but I am so use to the wide body look ... **sigh**

Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 PM
ManhattanSpin is infamous around these parts
I think it depends where you live really? I think if you live at or below NYC in the US you are probably fine without AWD.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Midlifecrisisguy

Carrera S

welcome to 6-speed

AWD cars are always a compromise (heavier, less fun in the dry).
i am currently driving 2 Audi AWD cars (S8, RS4), but we have very cold and snowy winters here, thatīs why. rain wouldn`t be an issue for me. don`t get me wrong, i love those cars to death and i laugh at all RWD cars during winter time while i am cruising down A and B roads with all the traction you can wish for.

so as long as you don`t have 600+HP or conditions like these too often, RWD is the way to go imho.

P.S. one main advantage i forgot to mention about AWD Porsches: "dat a$$!"

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
These cars have plenty of traction for wet driving. If you have lots of snowy months I could see going AWD, but AWD for rain is unnecessary IMO.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Midlifecrisisguy is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the feedback. I live in south-east England, so it's mainly occasional light rain/drizzle, and I wouldn't drive the 911 at all when there is snow or ice on the road. Sounds like the standard S will be fine.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Any one know why the 4S is offered in hot climates with very little precipitation and no snow or ice? For example I see plenty in Dubai but don't see a reason for them? Ok, the turbo was made awd to increase control and reduce accidents, but the regular 4S in a dry climate? Why?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
Any one know why the 4S is offered in hot climates with very little precipitation and no snow or ice? For example I see plenty in Dubai but don't see a reason for them? Ok, the turbo was made awd to increase control and reduce accidents, but the regular 4S in a dry climate? Why?

2 reasons: itīs safer for newbees and dat a$$!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I have waited for the 4s?