991 posts at RL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bonehead
IB owns both forums.
thanks BH, just learned that from HC...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
He doesn't need a defense...he can post what he likes and you can ignore what you like and you can post what you like.

IMO he has not taken any more of a passionate approach to posting on the 991 debate than on other debates. Its his style. That's all I'm saying.

But its the same old stuff from each side:

pro 991: better car; newer technology, 997 guys cant afford it.better styling
pro 997: better feel, more trackable, more of a 911, better styling

Pro 991 wish to justify the high price on the 991 so they get defensive....997 guys take exception that they cant afford it or they are against progress....they get defensive.

SOSDD
Close... Is it my style? Is 'style' taking a position and offering an argument? I do it, the others do it too - it's a forum of ideas. The difference is that 991 early adopters cannot admit dissent. Do I dissent? You bet I do. I differ in accepting the 991, but I do not put it down as I consider it a great car, on par with R8/Aston/XK, but not so much an 11, that's all folks!

And thanks buckwheat986 for taking a lucid position!

Edit Note: Edited the price argument objection I previously posted, as I see it's not your opinion but an argument the Pro-991 guys often use - and is often wrong.

Last edited by adias; 04-25-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Leave the pricing crap out of the discussions. It doesn't fly.
I was going to respond to one of the pro's for the 991 (997 guys can't afford it, according to your previous post). But I see you were summarizing, and not posting your personal opinion.

I agree, at this level, cost is relative to the object. Around $100k, there are a lot of cars available, so choices must be made. They are typically preferences, not bound by a simple budget.

For example - I want a DCT, mid-engined, 500+HP, AWD car... Until the new R8 comes out, I don't know of any such car. This is a preference, not a monetary thing. Wow... I think I just found my next car. Holy crap. I've got to go home...

Last edited by jaspergtr; 04-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
thanks BH, just learned that from HC...
Sorry, obviously missed that when I posted.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
The repeated posts on RL over the last few months to me seem to indicate there's more to it. The reasons stated above might make sense if you had posted your opinion once or twice, but the volume of negative posts (your posting of the links in this thread being a great example) betray something else. I am trying to understand what compels you to do this.
Sapster, perhaps you should stop harping.. you have your opinion and others have theirs. It think you should have a much more open mind and listen more to what other people are telling the forum (nothing personal of course). Porsche has decided to develop " the product AKA 911" in a certain way and it is not sitting well with a part of their fan base for whatever reason. So from my perspective, I would be interested in understanding, as it is a first year release product, what the car looks like after all the paid-for news and articles have done their bit and now the car is being driven in the real world. I feel each and every comment is as good as anybody else and even if this is politically incorrect... who the heck cares. You have no problem calling people out ... so have fun doing that. This is not a forum to please Porsche . It is a forum to give the good, the bad and the ugly. So let's hear it from anybody... How is the DFI engine doing?? How is the oil usage nowadays?? Those are questions I would like to hear answers on... no matter what the 991 fan club and Spezial 991 Polizei is saying. Must say... I prefer the Singer too but do not have the cash assigned to that itch. In fact, I assume that for the next generation there will be a bunch of electric motors whirling around in the GEN 99X car. Well, count me out... That's not what I think a car should look like. But give me a hard hitting diesel engine in that same 99x, then count me in!

Last edited by hroussard; 04-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
He doesn't need a defense...he can post what he likes and you can ignore what you like and you can post what you like.
You said it was a defense, not me. I never said it needed to be defended, I just want to understand the motivation.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hroussard
Sapster, perhaps you should stop harping..
How exactly am I harping? I am pointing to someone else's repetitive posts. Maybe you could explain how I am harping when I am simply asking about an individual repeating themselves and questioning what is driving it. Surely it is them who is harping?

I think you either have the term harping confused or neglected to think before typing.

So let's hear it from anybody... How is the DFI engine doing?? How is the oil usage nowadays?? Those are questions I would like to hear answers on...
I couldn't agree more on this.

no matter what the 991 fan club and Spezial 991 Polizei is saying.
Here we go again.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Its vestigial pendulum effect is only noticed at insanely high limits
This is incorrect. I have twice test driven a 991. Both times I was conscious of the fact I was in charge of someone else's property so I did not drive at "insane speeds". I could clearly feel the rear engined driving characteristics that include what you like to call the "pendulum effect".

Once I was back in my 997 I drove the same roads as my 991 test. The 997 turn in understeer wasn't as bad I remembered, the ride wasn't as bouncy and the steering wasn't as jiggly as I expected it to be. The difference between the two cars felt less pronounced in this context.

If you make an argument that the 991 is lacking some charisma, I would probably agree, but that's a different conversation.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Royalton
OK having owned an 06 cabS, and a10 Coupe S, I will say that the 991 cab is vastly superior to both with regard to torsional stiffness from what I can feel. Im no professional driver, but have driven a wide variety of the vehicles, and this one is the stiffest. It seems to have little to no noticable flex, and is absolutely a vast improvement over 06 Cab! The vehicle feels as glued to the road as my 997.2 coupe, and will probably be more often on the track than the last Cab, given these considerations.
Wonderful to hear!!

Thanks

ChuckJ

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
How exactly am I harping? I am pointing to someone else's repetitive posts. Maybe you could explain how I am harping when I am simply asking about an individual repeating themselves and questioning what is driving it. Surely it is them who is harping?

I think you either have the term harping confused or neglected to think before typing.

I couldn't agree more on this.

Here we go again.

Exactly Sapster... you are harping so expect a fair amount of push back.. AKA hit between the eyes... It's someone's opinion so leave it at that... you may not agree.. But thanks for reading my little note on the subject. Looking forward to hear more about the actual performance by a lot of different drivers.. Do not care too much how or why the OP got to their opinion. Just saying... I'd rather hear you give some valuable input and your experience about the car in question.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
You said it was a defense, not me. I never said it needed to be defended, I just want to understand the motivation.
the defense was against you constantly asking him to explain his reason for his negative posts....

Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Ultimately, I think it comes down to how the cars feel to each person, which is somewhat subjective. We can look at physical design parameters and performance numbers, but the driving experience is really the key question.

To me, the 991 feels different enough that it's no longer a 911, but I respect the fact that you have a long history with the 911 and your feeling is different.

The fact that we, as 911 fans, can have different feelings about the same car is itself interesting, and that's part of the reason why I'm not yet tired of these debates about the 991. Plus, I'm continuing to listen to the opinions of others and continuing my test drives in the hope that the 991 will grow on me (the first time I drove a 911 it felt weird to me, especially the feeling of the nose becoming light under acceleration, but it grew on me with time and as I learned to drive it, to the point where it now feels like heaven on wheels ).
You are absolutely right the everyone gets to make their own decision to keep their car, wait for the next model or get a 991. And I'm not making a value judgement as to whether they made the wrong decision. I'm just surprised when people think the 991 is any not a 911- after 6 significant versions that had some pretty big changes. I, for one would not like my icon to stand still and let competitors improve their models.

Respectfully,

ChuckJ

Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Adam2S is infamous around these parts
I think the fact threads like this are posted in the 991 forum rather than the 997 forum is quite significant. Posted here it is a negative post which has the purpose of trying to "put down" the 991 - if it was in the 997 forum then I think it would be a postitive post trying to promote the 997.

To me there is no logic in trying to compare the 991 to the 997 with the aim of drawing a conclusion over which is a better car. Quite simply the 997 is now an old car - if you prefer it then fine, but Im sure many many people will now longer be interested in buying the old model and will simply decide if they do or dont like the 991 based upon its own merits - not if its better or worse than the 997. Personally I am one of those people - I have owned 2 997's and they were superb cars - I dont care if the 997 is better, it is now out of my interest zone and all I care about is if I like the 991 or not (which so far I do - but then I havnt driven one yet!)

Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The repeated posts on RL over the last few months to me seem to indicate there's more to it. The reasons stated above might make sense if you had posted your opinion once or twice, but the volume of negative posts (your posting of the links in this thread being a great example) betray something else. I am trying to understand what compels you to do this.
Speaking for myself and surely many others, there is something more to it, something deeper.

Many of us grew up with the 911 always around as a sports car icon, defiantly doing things its own way, and succeeding in the process. Other brands didn't even try to copy the recipe, probably because they knew that the resulting car would just look like a ripoff of the original.

Now that we're all grown up (at least on the surface), it's hard to accept that the 911 we've known and loved could finally be dead and gone, replaced with a more 'modern' car which abandons much of the classic feel in order to compete with younger hotshots.

Surely there's some irrational nostalgia and attachment involved in this sentiment, but there's also the argument that the 911 was still so good that it didn't need to be fundamentally tampered with. Same way that you can't fundamentally tamper with a Les Paul without making it no longer a Les Paul (another legend that been around for half a century and still going strong).

Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Exactly Sapster... you are harping so expect a fair amount of push back.. AKA hit between the eyes... It's someone's opinion so leave it at that... you may not agree.. But thanks for reading my little note on the subject. Looking forward to hear more about the actual performance by a lot of different drivers.. Do not care too much how or why the OP got to their opinion. Just saying... I'd rather hear you give some valuable input and your experience about the car in question.
You may call this harping, but I don't think it is unjustified. For months this same individual has been posting negatively over and over about the 991. All I am doing is asking why. It is not unreasonable to ask, but since I haven't got anything approaching an answer from the OP, I am going to leave it at that. Others have suggested answers and I think some of them may be a lot closer to the truth than the OP cares to admit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 posts at RL