991 posts at RL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Are you all kidding me? Is it a 911? Really?

It has a rear engine. How many other cars have that, or have since the old VW beetles were scrapped? It is made by Porsche? You would think they would know. And it says so right on the car (unless you paid extra to delete it)!

If you don't like the 991 or think your prior version is better, fiine. But can every 993 driver say to 996 and 997 owners that they are driving a lie because it is water cooled - arguably a much bigger change than electric steering and PDCC?

And I don't even know who MJones is, why anyone cares what BB he is on, or why he is considered so reverently. And I don't much care. If that is the best he can do to criticize the 991, he has a lot to learn about cars and women! When the mustang was introduced it was considered a "chick car". It seems to have survived quite nicely and I know a number of very avid mustang owners who would take serious offense at any suggesting that there was anything womanly about their cars.

You don't like, don't buy it. Say your car is better, if you must But name calling?! My 997 was a 911 and my 991 is every bit as much a 911 and just as entitled to the name and heratige!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
You make some valid points, no denying that the 991 is still a great car. But I still wonder if Porsche couldn't have retained more of the beloved driving dynamics while improving performance and other things.

And I really don't see any justification for regressing in the steering feel for the sake of a miniscule gain in gas mileage.

Also, I'm not convinced that those other brands were poised to steal a lot of sales away from the 911. The 911 still had a combination of driving dynamics, measurable performance, daily drivability, pedigree, trackability, and elegant understatement which they couldn't match. I suspect that a modest styling refresh, more weight reduction, and more power would have done the trick.
The test car I drive even had the power steering option for parking and the car still felt like a 911 . The engine growl from the rear , the push and steer sensation , the lack of blind spot , intimate interior , it's all still there !!!

Added to it now is some comfort and an improved PDK that actually is more pleasant to drive .

Why did they make it larger ? Maybe they had to . The Gt3 and Turbo are not out yet so they had to make a wheelbase platform and body shell suitable for those cars too . Perhaps that's what it might take (in combination with the technology )to beat the competition when the higher HP cars arrive at a price which they can manufacture , warranty, and mass produce . Just a guess . I have to wait and see .. but for now .. I'm in !!!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
It may not seem like it, but I really want to agree with you guys that the 991 is still a true 911. I hope to do my third test drive this weekend (this time with base MT), will try to keep an open mind, and will report back on my findings (not that my opinion is authoritative in any way).

Old 04-25-2012, 07:10 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Are you all kidding me? Is it a 911? Really?

It has a rear engine. How many other cars have that, or have since the old VW beetles were scrapped? It is made by Porsche? You would think they would know. And it says so right on the car (unless you paid extra to delete it)!

If you don't like the 991 or think your prior version is better, fiine. But can every 993 driver say to 996 and 997 owners that they are driving a lie because it is water cooled - arguably a much bigger change than electric steering and PDCC?

And I don't even know who MJones is, why anyone cares what BB he is on, or why he is considered so reverently. And I don't much care. If that is the best he can do to criticize the 991, he has a lot to learn about cars and women! When the mustang was introduced it was considered a "chick car". It seems to have survived quite nicely and I know a number of very avid mustang owners who would take serious offense at any suggesting that there was anything womanly about their cars.

You don't like, don't buy it. Say your car is better, if you must But name calling?! My 997 was a 911 and my 991 is every bit as much a 911 and just as entitled to the name and heratige!
It is a 911. It says so on the back so it must be true..... Feeling better now??? But for whatever reason (most likely Euros) Porsche has to move the goal posts and they did did. Time will tell how this is going to work.... Look at the old Bangle Butt that did not work out for BMW. One the new-ness ( new word perhaps) is worn off we will see what is left. Ecstasy or disappointment by the pundits. I want to know what the actual drivers are going to say over the next 1-3 years. I want to know about the engine, the gear box, the stuff that works, the gotcha's. We will find out for sure reading these kinds of forums so we can find out straight talk, not filtered by interested parties in one kind or another. We need to nurture them and invite all so we get the skinny. Did you ever read a Car magazine that outlines the issues car owners are dealing with? I don't think so. I consider this forum as my wikipedia knowledge base. And, I am peering into the glass bowl to see what the GT etc variants are going to be like. With Porsche the good stuff comes "next year" as we all know.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hroussard
It is a 911. It says so on the back so it must be true..... Feeling better now??? But for whatever reason (most likely Euros) Porsche has to move the goal posts and they did did. Time will tell how this is going to work.... Look at the old Bangle Butt that did not work out for BMW. One the new-ness ( new word perhaps) is worn off we will see what is left. Ecstasy or disappointment by the pundits. I want to know what the actual drivers are going to say over the next 1-3 years. I want to know about the engine, the gear box, the stuff that works, the gotcha's. We will find out for sure reading these kinds of forums so we can find out straight talk, not filtered by interested parties in one kind or another. We need to nurture them and invite all so we get the skinny. Did you ever read a Car magazine that outlines the issues car owners are dealing with? I don't think so. I consider this forum as my wikipedia knowledge base. And, I am peering into the glass bowl to see what the GT etc variants are going to be like. With Porsche the good stuff comes "next year" as we all know.
What an idiot I was. I spent $137,000 now knowing full well that "the good stuff" was a year in the future. Why do I always do that? Only 400 bhp and sub 4 seconds to 60 mph. What a total disappointment. That is it. Look in the want ads tomorrow. 2012 991S coupe. One month old and under 1,000 miles. Free to a good home. There is no way I can ever be seen in it again.

Here I was thinking that all the smiles on the faces of the PCA members at my CCC this weekend were compliments when all the time they were just laughing at me for not waiting for the good stuff. What would they have thought if I had bought a basic? Oh, the shame. I can never show my face there again!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
What an idiot I was. I spent $137,000 now knowing full well that "the good stuff" was a year in the future. Why do I always do that? Only 400 bhp and sub 4 seconds to 60 mph. What a total disappointment. That is it. Look in the want ads tomorrow. 2012 991S coupe. One month old and under 1,000 miles. Free to a good home. There is no way I can ever be seen in it again.

Here I was thinking that all the smiles on the faces of the PCA members at my CCC this weekend were compliments when all the time they were just laughing at me for not waiting for the good stuff. What would they have thought if I had bought a basic? Oh, the shame. I can never show my face there again!
Okay, okay AG I'll take it and I guarantee I'll never tell anyone you once owned it! I served my country for 20 years, I adopted an 8 year old, I live in a dry climate, I never park near anyone, I wash my cars often and always change the oil on time (even if I have to turn it upside down or take the rear bumper off) and I'll promise to feed it premium gas.

ChuckJ

Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Okay, okay AG I'll take it and I guarantee I'll never tell anyone you once owned it! I served my country for 20 years, I adopted an 8 year old, I live in a dry climate, I never park near anyone, I wash my cars often and always change the oil on time (even if I have to turn it upside down or take the rear bumper off) and I'll promise to feed it premium gas.

ChuckJ
And you are obviously a man of wit and taste! . Well said! If I can't cure the buffeting issue, I may take you up on it - it's replacement will still only be a lonely S. Like my golf clubs, the limit on my game is not the equipment, but the user!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
To AG991.. see . Now we are having fun again. You are a patriot... you bought a 1st year car, with lots of bells and whistles (and expensive options).. Enjoy. I am more in tune with the souped-up versions so I am waiting some more... Hope they have solved the buffett(ing) issue by then and perhaps cleaned up the mess of the Buffett rule too. Good news... Seems you have already a buyer for your 991.... not sure about the price but... just kidding!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
All kidding aside there are two issues that I see need addressing...

the buffeting and the knee placement issue.

I was rereading the Excellence Article (April 2012, pg 58)and they quoted the Porsche developers as saying that they kept in mind that "this car would be race."

If that is so how come we have these issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
All kidding aside there are two issues that I see need addressing...

the buffeting and the knee placement issue.

I was rereading the Excellence Article (April 2012, pg 58)and they quoted the Porsche developers as saying that they kept in mind that "this car would be race."

If that is so how come we have these issues.
That's a very good question. I asked my dealer about the buffeting issue and he had not heard about it.

ChuckJ

Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
(at 3:33 and 6:07) the guy explains why it isn`t a GT but a sportscar, i couldn`t agree more: