991 Direct Injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brianja
Both of you guys have a nice number of miles on your cars. That's very encouraging! Any problems with a rough idle on cold starts (especially in low ambient temperatures)?

The problem with Audi's carbon buildup is that it happens so gradually that you really don't notice the power loss. I have a series of dyno plots I made with a friend's car over the first few years of ownership. We dyno'd it a few times as he racked up the miles. He didn't feel any difference in driving it, but the numbers don't lie. After a carbon cleaning we re-dyno'd to see a bump of 40whp. It felt like a different car.
No rough idle at cold starts but for the first few feet of driving, the car tends to stutter. This only occurs if the car has been cold soaked below, say, 50 degrees overnight and I'm just using light throttle. There was a high pressure fuel pump replacement campaign that Porsche performed voluntarily on certain VIN's that I thought would help this but it didn't. Otherwise, the car starts up and goes on its way perfectly.

I'm sure you're right regarding an insidious loss of power. I've never dyno'd the car to know for sure but all outward signs are showing a healthy car. I'm very interested in this topic, as well. Can't wait to see the inside of one of these engines.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM
PAJ
PAJ is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input. Were you active on any of the RS4 boards while you owned? I'm pretty active on Quattroworld (Audiworld before that) and I check in on a lot of the others. I organized the NYC Spring RS4 drive for a few years.
I was primarily a lurker on Audiworld and still get most of my news from Quattroworld Off-Topic forum. I'm not an active poster, but an avid reader of the forums.

Thanks for bringing this topic up - I had been wondering if this was going to be an issue (not that it prevented me from placing an order. )

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
It is definitely a US gas issue. You'll see considerable deposits with 87 (don't use it) octane versus 91/93 octane. Lexus also has the same issue.

You can spike once in a while:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-2-93-a.html

Also could 991 owners confirm if 91 octane is recommended, unlike on 997s?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
The recommendation for octane rating for the 991 is 93 (US), like the 997GT2.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM
PAJ
PAJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DS997c2s
It is definitely a US gas issue. You'll see considerable deposits with 87 (don't use it) octane versus 91/93 octane. Lexus also has the same issue.

You can spike once in a while:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-2-93-a.html

Also could 991 owners confirm if 91 octane is recommended, unlike on 997s?
US gas may be a factor, but, at least with the RS4, owners in Europe were having the same problems at similar mileage intevals.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
If this is an issue it will start showing up as people put more miles on their cars. Its a wait and see.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by medpilot105
No rough idle at cold starts but for the first few feet of driving, the car tends to stutter. This only occurs if the car has been cold soaked below, say, 50 degrees overnight and I'm just using light throttle. There was a high pressure fuel pump replacement campaign that Porsche performed voluntarily on certain VIN's that I thought would help this but it didn't. Otherwise, the car starts up and goes on its way perfectly.

I'm sure you're right regarding an insidious loss of power. I've never dyno'd the car to know for sure but all outward signs are showing a healthy car. I'm very interested in this topic, as well. Can't wait to see the inside of one of these engines.
Woah, your experience sounds very similar to my 09 S cab. In fact, the HPFP on my car was replaced 3 times. After a cold start, the first 50 feet or so the engine stutters on acceleration, but clears up after slight warmup.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
I'm planning on ordering a 991 C4S when they are announced, but I'm a bit worried about going from the frying pan into the fire. Maybe Porsche did something to prevent the problem with the design of the new model?

Thanks for any input / insight you guys can give.
brianja,
I understand your concerns and would like to offer my services. Let me borrow your new 991 for a day a month and I will make sure to blow out any carbon buildup. Because I am a nice guy, I will do it for free. This is just the king of guy that I am.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
I guess what I would like to know is how you get carbon buildup on an intake valve? It should be closed when combustion takes place. With DFI it only opens to let air in. ???
Someone please explain if you know. If it is on the bottom of the valve just run the **** out of your car like I do!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 998M
brianja,
I understand your concerns and would like to offer my services. Let me borrow your new 991 for a day a month and I will make sure to blow out any carbon buildup. Because I am a nice guy, I will do it for free. This is just the king of guy that I am.

haha. I can take care of that part myself, thank you very much. I'm used to a nice puff of smoke from my RS4 at WOT.

Originally Posted by stevefrommn
I guess what I would like to know is how you get carbon buildup on an intake valve? It should be closed when combustion takes place. With DFI it only opens to let air in. ???
Someone please explain if you know. If it is on the bottom of the valve just run the **** out of your car like I do!
There is typically some overlap when both the exhaust and intake vales are open simultaneously. That's when some of the exhaust can wind up back above the valves and settle carbon on the backs of the intake valves. Then the heat of the engine bakes it on.

Originally Posted by PAJ
I was primarily a lurker on Audiworld and still get most of my news from Quattroworld Off-Topic forum. I'm not an active poster, but an avid reader of the forums.

Thanks for bringing this topic up - I had been wondering if this was going to be an issue (not that it prevented me from placing an order. )
What about the 1st rule? Sheesh. I'm on OT too.

I'm glad to bring up the subject for discussion. It's nice to see a civilized discussion of it on here.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I had never considered DI being a bad thing... I can't imagine (although this is an assumption) that Porsche would overlook something like this.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Can't compare a VW/Audi engine to a Porsche...... I have 34k on my DI 997.2 and there is no carbon inside on outside of the car.... I do have 4 dirty exhuast tips...

Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Can't compare a VW/Audi engine to a Porsche...... I have 34k on my DI 997.2 and there is no carbon inside on outside of the car.... I do have 4 dirty exhuast tips...
Why yes you can....Porsche/Audi/VW whats the diff jk

There is NO documented info on P engines....because the 9A1 engine is DFI then it is THEORETICALLY at risk.

How do you know you have no crud on your valves? Have you unroofed and taken a peek? Pics?

I will be replacing my valves with an X51 kit (in shop now), I will extensively photograph my valves...this on a 2010 C2S with 26K miles.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
Please post what you find! Thanks in advance!