Third Test Drive of the 991 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 AM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by buckwheat986

I read a review recently where they said the PDCC did little for the dynamics of the car.
Do you recall where you saw this review?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tmg57
Unfortunately no....the link was on either here or RL.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Also, please don't forget the second part of my post. In the hands of a good driver on the track the PDCC may not be as relevant. It will help lap times but not as much as say a novice you goes from a car with and without PDCC.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Also, please don't forget the second part of my post. In the hands of a good driver on the track the PDCC may not be as relevant. It will help lap times but not as much as say a novice you goes from a car with and without PDCC.
For that matter, PDCC might even feel counterintuitive in the hands of a good driver. Too many cooks in the kitchen, the car doing something the driver is already trying to do.

To me, the experience of driving a sports car is supposed to be a partnership between car and driver, with their joint goal being to go fast with control. The job of the car is to respond well to driver inputs via a good mechanical design, while giving the driver as much feedback as possible regarding what's happening with the physics of the car and road (via dancing dynamics, steering feel, brake feel, warning signs of reaching grip limits, etc.). The job of the driver is to take it all in (quickly!) and provide optimal inputs to the car. When it all goes well, IMO few experiences are more enjoyable. And this why a lot of drivers prefer simpler cars - because they want to provide the inputs, rather than letting the car hog the fun stuff, plus simpler cars usually give the driver more feedback.

Last edited by Manifold; 04-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Not disputing your post, I just want to read the review. I am interested in hearing more about PDCC in real world applications. Much of the info out there right now seems to be speculative or anecdotal. Intuitively, it would seem that PDCC would be an asset to the car's performance. Generally speaking (very generally), stiffer sway bars and firmer shocks are desireable in performance applications. It seems that PDCC and PASM are just clever mechanisms for providing those characteristics when the car is pushed while allowing the car to be more comfortable in DD usage. I don't seem them as "nannies", at all. If there is a "nanny" component, I view it as nanny making a very capable high performance car more comfortable to drive.

Since I am no expert, I look forward to seeing more reviews with apples to apples comparisons, as I will be happy to change my view if the evidence so dictates.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
PDDC is definitely meant for track, take your car into your favorite corner then take 991S with PDDC to the same corner, you will feel the differences.

I did it many times against my previous Cayman S 2011 vs my new 991S with PDDC. 991S with PDDC is absolutely amazing, very little body's roll and PDDC just asking you to push more! I can go around the corners much faster in 991S.

PDDC is not new, I still remember the year 1993 in F1 where William team has developed F1 car "FW15C" which has active hydraulic suspension and it won 15/16 poles, 10/16 races (beat Honda + Ayrton Senna). It is so good that FIA has to ban it because the competitor could not catch up with this innovative active suspension.

So I can't see any reason why it would not do the same for 991S and later on... 991GT3.

Last edited by iambon; 04-29-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iambon
PDDC is definitely meant for track, take your car into your favorite corner then take 991S with PDDC to the same corner, you will feel the difference.
i think they will offer this on the 991 GT3 as well, cause it ensures sharper steering into corners and a flatter posture through bends.
by the way itīs similar to the system used on McLaren’s MP4-12C, so Porsche is not the only one using this technology

Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Not disputing your post, I just want to read the review. I am interested in hearing more about PDCC in real world applications. Much of the info out there right now seems to be speculative or anecdotal. Intuitively, it would seem that PDCC would be an asset to the car's performance. Generally speaking (very generally), stiffer sway bars and firmer shocks are desireable in performance applications. It seems that PDCC and PASM are just clever mechanisms for providing those characteristics when the car is pushed while allowing the car to be more comfortable in DD usage. I don't seem them as "nannies", at all. If there is a "nanny" component, I view it as nanny making a very capable high performance car more comfortable to drive.

Since I am no expert, I look forward to seeing more reviews with apples to apples comparisons, as I will be happy to change my view if the evidence so dictates.

Tm,

I knew you weren't disputing it. I wrote that for the people who would start getting on my case for dissing PDCC. Which I am certainly not doing.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by iambon
PDDC is definitely meant for track, take your car into your favorite corner then take 991S with PDDC to the same corner, you will feel the differences.

I did it many times against my previous Cayman S 2011 vs my new 991S with PDDC. 991S with PDDC is absolutely amazing, very little body's roll and PDDC just asking you to push more! I can go around the corners much faster in 991S.

PDDC is not new, I still remember the year 1993 in F1 where William team has developed F1 car "FW15C" which has active hydraulic suspension and it won 15/16 poles, 10/16 races (beat Honda + Ayrton Senna). It is so good that FIA has to ban it because the competitor could not catch up with this innovative active suspension.

So I can't see any reason why it would not do the same for 991S and later on... 991GT3.

But this is not apples to apples as many people here like to say.

What about the different body widths and extra hp and torque of the 991. Not sure all of that can be placed on the PDCc whendoing a cayman S and 991 s comparison.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Here ya go...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...K-PDCC/262286/

I was on the fence with this option so the review was the straw that broke the camel's back. Since I won't be tracking the 991, I ordered it w/o PDCC. Zuffenhausen delivery is set for 20 June.

Spyder

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by TSpyder
Here ya go...

I was on the fence with this option so the review was the straw that broke the camel's back. Since I won't be tracking the 991, I ordered it w/o PDCC. Zuffenhausen delivery is set for 20 June.

Spyder
Well done Spyder...

Kind of sounds like what manifold is saying. It's overkill for a street car.

z delivery....that's awesome....have a blast.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
frayed is infamous around these parts
Good review Manifold.

Having owned a number of porsches and convinced that the 991 was for me until I test drove it, I agree with your review.

I couldn't help the feeling that Stuttgart zapped the 911 out of the 991 with all the electromechanical computer controlled wizardry, and your impressions of driving the manual stripper lends credence to my initial impressions.

Some call 911 handling to be quirky and flawed (e.g., Clarkson), some refer to as charismatic and engaging (e.g., folks like me). Depending on which side of the fence you are on, you'll be enamored with the car or feel let down. I was not impressed with the loaded up S I drove.

I'll wait for the GT cars to come out to see if my complaints are fixed and the GT's are more engaging yet daily drivable.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by TSpyder
Here ya go...

Spyder
Thanks for the link, makes sense. Good luck with the new car and have fun in Europe. You can look for my car at the factory because, last I heard, it is scheduled to be built around that time!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Generally speaking (very generally), stiffer sway bars and firmer shocks are desireable in performance applications. It seems that PDCC and PASM are just clever mechanisms for providing those characteristics when the car is pushed while allowing the car to be more comfortable in DD usage.
very good post. by the way, nobody complains about the system in the MP4-12c, no journalist or owner. it is quite the opposite.
itīs one of the most planted and comfortable sportscars out there in normal mode and even in track mode it isn`t teeth shattering at all.
It seems that when it comes to Porsche, people are still allergic to those new digital gizmos, because Porsche is still considered as "old school".
people should wake up!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
very good post. by the way, nobody complains about the system in the MP4-12c, no journalist or owner. it is quite the opposite.
itīs one of the most planted and comfortable sportscars out there in normal mode and even in track mode it isn`t teeth shattering at all.
It seems that when it comes to Porsche, people are still allergic to those new digital gizmos, because Porsche is still considered as "old school".
people should wake up!
shadow,

please stop the generalities....not all porsche people are against the gizmos and not all are for it.

Certain drivers want a certain feel when driving...comfort, edginess, speed, roll over, whatever...

we have been thru this 1000 times. Not one is putting down Porsche advancements...some are just saying maybe the car now is not for their driving style.

As you can see even those not absolutely in love with the car are trying variations to find one that fits their driving style.

Chill a little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Third Test Drive of the 991 (Manifold)