Deposit on Pre-owned R8, but just can't the 911 Carrera S out of my mind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I haven't driven the R8, but I did drive a 2005 Gallardo yesterday, which I believe is a cousin of the R8. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the car and it took me a long time to get back to sleep (very tired now ).

The experience was unlike any Porsche or other car I've driven. In some aspects, such as the automanual transmission and the interior, the Gallardo was primitive and clunky compared to the 997 and 991. But the thrill factor was very high, because of the car's handling, power, sound, etc. Italian! And the ride quality was also excellent, at least as good as the 997 and 991.

If the R8 is like the Gallardo, I can see why someone would choose the R8. I personally can't drive a car that flashy at this stage of my life (I think?), but otherwise the appeal is very strong.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:05 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I haven't driven the R8, but I did drive a 2005 Gallardo yesterday, which I believe is a cousin of the R8. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the car and it took me a long time to get back to sleep (very tired now ).

The experience was unlike any Porsche or other car I've driven. In some aspects, such as the automanual transmission and the interior, the Gallardo was primitive and clunky compared to the 997 and 991. But the thrill factor was very high, because of the car's handling, power, sound, etc. Italian! And the ride quality was also excellent, at least as good as the 997 and 991.

If the R8 is like the Gallardo, I can see why someone would choose the R8. I personally can't drive a car that flashy at this stage of my life (I think?), but otherwise the appeal is very strong.
the R8 is a little more refined, roomy and comfortable and not as tricky and vulgar as the Gallardo. you don`t see flashy colors on it and although they carry the same engine, the R8 sounds a bit more subtle. which makes it an even harder decision, cause it is a bit more german (obviously).

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tonka858
what you bought was well north of 130k
But not much more than a Turbo S and at the same pricepoint as a R8 V10 Spider while a lot more exclusive. I bought this from one of my boy's with only 3500 miles on the clock as he is moving to a 458 spider.

Take one for an extended drive one day, the DCT is absolutely sublime, the Ferrari exhaust is exhilarating, and the hand-crafted build by Maranello artisans is a work of art. The hand-stitched interior is as fine as Hermes leather.

Last edited by surfah; 05-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold

I participated in the Gallardo roadshow and personally found the E-gear to be extremely clunky with the 1st to 2nd shift jarring. The heft of the AWD was also noticeable. Drive a LP560-4 and it is a a completely different beast. It certainly has a more hardcore, race car type feel if you don't mind the herky jerky tranny. Drive it in manual mode in traffic and you will understand what I mean.

Still the Gallardo design is starting to look dated having been around for 8 years.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
..."But not much more than a Turbo S and at the same pricepoint as a R8 V10 Spider"

Isn't the base price for a California around 200K and most are in the $225K+ range?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
..."But not much more than a Turbo S and at the same pricepoint as a R8 V10 Spider"

Isn't the base price for a California around 200K and most are in the $225K+ range?
Oh yes, you are correct sir. I was comparing my gently used model to a new R8 V10 spider or Turbo S. Not many used examples of the latter 2 around my neck of the wood. My colleague for reasons unbeknownst to me traded in his 918 TurboS and 2011 GT3RS for a Continental GT but this happened after I bought the F-car. FWIW, not having to pay excise tax on my Cali was reason enough to go through a private sale.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
porschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really niceporschefreak04 is just really nice
The fact that you have been thinking about it constantly and created a thread is proof in itself that you should get the 991. Live life with no regrets. Pick the car you enjoyed the most and never look back.