Stick Shift popular again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think this is partially due to high gas prices and bad economies. Most manuals are only up against automatics with torque converters. Those primitive things, weigh more, burn more gas, and actually shift slower, and usually cost MORE to buy. The ONLY benefit a traditional automatic has over a manual is the convenience factor.

Dual clutch will never be as easy or cheap to service as a manual, but it's more efficient (according to the claims anyways) so if that becomes the standard for Auto's, this percentage number will go down even further. That is a LONG ways away though.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by af330i
Totally disagree ... With the Corvette you drive the car with the gas pedal ... It downshifts and it up shifts when you want it to ... it is all driven by the tip of your right foot.
Totally different feel than the PDK and yes the PDK is incredible but I'm not comparing the two I am just saying the Corvette with the automatic is an amazing car.
I had a C6 Corvette and thought the car had some great assets:
1. Cost
2. Creature comforts
3. Large trunk
4. Nice torsional stiffness

But it had some liabilities that made me go back to my Porsche 911 roots:
1. Sitting nearly over the rear caused back bad ride over hwy cracks / bumps
2. High, low RPM torque combined with 50/50 weight distribution caused unwanted wheel spin on asphalt.
3. Low quality interior
4. Very tiresome MT and less flexible transmission relative to the 991 (although mine was a 2005 and they may have changed that). In fully automatic mode, I felt changing gears was about the same as my 997S PDK.

ChuckJ

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by af330i
Totally disagree ... With the Corvette you drive the car with the gas pedal ... It downshifts and it up shifts when you want it to ... it is all driven by the tip of your right foot.
Totally different feel than the PDK and yes the PDK is incredible but I'm not comparing the two I am just saying the Corvette with the automatic is an amazing car.
And.. you have some serious engine braking when you release the power pedal.... that braking if for free (just in case there are any greenies that want an electric gizmo and a big capacitor that might give you a permanent erection if you touch it). Just sayin'. I LOVE a manual gear box. Damn car will change gear WHEN I SAY SO !!!