Stick Shift popular again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Stick Shift popular again

the article is not specifically about Porsche, but with the invention of the all new 7-speed in the new 991, with all those countless "manual vs automatic" debates on here and with all those prophecies that stick shifters are a dying breed, i thought that this news might be interesting for you guys, esp. for the manual lovers:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/04/stick-shift-manual-transmission-ford-focus-surprise-more-interest-------/1#.T6BG6VK26X5

"...the first quarter this year manuals were in 6.5% of new vehicles sold, and that's getting close to double each of the past five years. It's also highest since 7.2% in 2006, according to Edmunds.com.That high "take rate," as the industry calls it, is even more impressive because just 19% of the 2,360 different models on sale offer manuals..."

Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Manual is the only way to go on a Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo...... It is too bad it is not being offered on the Ferrari or even Lambo...

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Love it .. love it! I am huge proponent of manual cars and good for manufacturers to realize its importance in their positioning!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
TorontoPF has a spectacular aura aboutTorontoPF has a spectacular aura about
Just got it and love it-unlike the PDK my car does not race to be in 7th gear for fuel efficiency.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
the article is not specifically about Porsche, but with the invention of the all new 7-speed in the new 991, with all those countless "manual vs automatic" debates on here and with all those prophecies that stick shifters are a dying breed, i thought that this news might be interesting for you guys, esp. for the manual lovers:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T6BG6VK26X5

"...the first quarter this year manuals were in 6.5% of new vehicles sold, and that's getting close to double each of the past five years. It's also highest since 7.2% in 2006, according to Edmunds.com.That high "take rate," as the industry calls it, is even more impressive because just 19% of the 2,360 different models on sale offer manuals..."

So that is like, what, they sold eight more cars last year?!

There are 2,360 different models?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Manual is the only way to go on a Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo...... It is too bad it is not being offered on the Ferrari or even Lambo...
And why do you think that is...? Oh wait..., because in a car built to go fast, a manual is SLOW!

Now, if I were getting a corvette, a camero, or an Audi R8, where the automatics SUCK, I would get a manual. But in a car like the 991 where the PDK is terrific, a manual only make sense if you really like to use your left leg and don't mind loosing performance to do it.

Last edited by rdalcanto; 05-01-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TorontoPF
Just got it and love it-unlike the PDK my car does not race to be in 7th gear for fuel efficiency.
Probably won't see 7th gear except on long trips, right?

ChuckJ

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
I wouldn't buy a Ferrari if I couldn't get a MT. No clutch, no love.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
... a manual only make sense if you really like to use your left leg and don't mind loosing performance to do it.[/quote]

it's not all about performance for some people. Some people find any kind of automatic transmission boring...and yes, this CAN include the PDK, and GT-R/Ferrari/Lambo transmissions.

For some, a traditional manual is all about driver involvement so no matter how advanced, quick, or "better" today's automatics are, traditional manuals will still be preferred by some.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
Originally Posted by TorontoPF

That only occurs when not in sport or sport + mode. That's what PDK does, gives you the option.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
And why do you think that is...? Oh wait..., because in a car built to go fast, a manual is SLOW!

Now, if I were getting a corvette, a camero, or an Audi R8, where the automatics SUCK, I would get a manual. But in a car like the 991 where the PDK is terrific, a manual only make sense if you really like to use your left leg and don't mind loosing performance to do it.
In a Corvette the Automatic is great ... not getting into the pdk vs manual disagreement but just saying...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
I don't go to the track nor do I race in any format. Thus, really fast shifts are interesting and awesome, but not particularly necessary. On the other hand, slow shifts, where the rpm's drop and you re-accelerate in each gear are fun. For me, it's all about the re-acceleration -- the thrust and the sound. And, yes, I understand that I am surely in a distinct minority on this subject. If I wind up getting PDK, it's either due to a left foot injury or regular heavy traffic.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by af330i
In a Corvette the Automatic is great ... not getting into the pdk vs manual disagreement but just saying...
You must be joking! Does it even use a clutch? It is slow, and the car jerks, like any automatic in cars with torque converters (my Jeep and Suburban shift like the corvette).

Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You must be joking! Does it even use a clutch? It is slow, and the car jerks, like any automatic in cars with torque converters (my Jeep and Suburban shift like the corvette).
And the stick is not much better!

ChuckJ

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about

Totally disagree ... With the Corvette you drive the car with the gas pedal ... It downshifts and it up shifts when you want it to ... it is all driven by the tip of your right foot.
Totally different feel than the PDK and yes the PDK is incredible but I'm not comparing the two I am just saying the Corvette with the automatic is an amazing car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stick Shift popular again