Base or BOSE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
Question Base or BOSE?

Still deciding on options for the car. I know what I want for everything except for one item: the sound system
I very rarely listen to music while I'm driving sports cars, so Burmester is not one of my choices. I mainly listen to talk radio or audiobooks during long drives, or nothing at all during regular ones. I will mainly just listen to the PSE that I will be ordering to be honest.
I have read on here that the BOSE is not that good. Should I might as well stick with base? Is there much of a difference between them in quality?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Still deciding on options for the car. I know what I want for everything except for one item: the sound system
I very rarely listen to music while I'm driving sports cars, so Burmester is not one of my choices. I mainly listen to talk radio or audiobooks during long drives, or nothing at all during regular ones. I will mainly just listen to the PSE that I will be ordering to be honest.
I have read on here that the BOSE is not that good. Should I might as well stick with base? Is there much of a difference between them in quality?
If you are not listening to music, put your $ toward performance options and pass on the Bose.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
The Bose is not so bad. If you select "sound" on the PCM them select "option" then check the box for "linear" you then get a much more audiophile experience. Granted its not a burmeister, but very good. Bose is a nice compromise for me without spending $$$

Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Base is terrible. Unfortunately Bose isn't that great but far better than base.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I like my Base stereo, very crisp and clear sound. With a 235w independent amp, the Base stereo is light years ahead of the base sound system in the 997.
Imo the Bose sounds louder, but muted with no highs and lows.
You'll be fine with the Base, it handles pretty well my daughter's electronic tunes, at least thats what she says.

Last edited by galion; 05-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Your listening habits sound similiar to mine ... below is a thread I had started ...
I am very happy with the Base system and for the once in a while I crank it up it is very good .... much better than the BOSE in my 997.1

I got very nervous once I placed the order and started to think I made a mistake until I went and listened to it at the dealer.

Now after living with it I am happy and actually surprised it is a base system ... it is much better than expected.

Click link ...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...eo-system.html

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM
ArashApollo is infamous around these partsArashApollo is infamous around these parts
Great replies, and there was a lot of good info on that other thread. I'll be sticking with base, but order an HD radio receiver as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Great replies, and there was a lot of good info on that other thread. I'll be sticking with base, but order an HD radio receiver as well.
That's what I did, I wanted to save my money for performance options. I'll let you know how that experiment worked.

ChuckJ

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 PM
mojocowboy is infamous around these parts
Chuckj, how's that experiment?

Would you get the base again?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts
I love music, however I only listen to the radio when I'm at a stoplight, otherwise the engine noise is all the noise I want to hear. I went with the Bose and I think it provides very good sound.
This is in comparison to the standard stereo system in my other car - a 328xi.
Sorry, can't compare to any other Porsche stereos as I'm a first time owner here.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM
cat1pro is infamous around these partscat1pro is infamous around these parts
I just got my car and the bose is pretty good. It's not a high end system, but it's pretty good when you are not listening to the sound of the engine.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mojocowboy
Chuckj, how's that experiment?

Would you get the base again?
If I could have afforded the S I would have gotten it. But I'm assuming it will be an acceptable trade-off because my current S has 385 and is heavier. The power to weight is close and that's probably okay for the old man. I'll let you know if I made a mistake and would not get the base again after I drive the car a while.

ChuckJ

Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
I think its interesting that folks question spending 2% extra when the base car costs $100K. I went with Burmester.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
If anything, get it for re-sale value..Unless you're gonna keep the car for 10 years.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
If I had gotten a coupe I would have considered the Burmester, but in the cab the Bose is sufficient. With the roof down, you cannot tell the difference. With the roof up, the Bose sounds significantly better than previous Bose systems I have had (though not a patch on the premium stereos I have had in BMWs.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base or BOSE?