My cherry has been busted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
My cherry has been busted

Not a big deal, but noticed a few fairly sizable scrapes/medium scratches in my bumper. When I wiped away some dirt, i could tell there was a few medium scratches in the plastic bumper.

Do you think something like this can be buffed out? It seems deeper than clear coat.

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
hard to tell from the picture. Can you catch a finger nail on it?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brianja
hard to tell from the picture. Can you catch a finger nail on it?
Yes, more like a medium scratch vs. a gouge.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Boo. Then it probably can't be polished out, I'm afraid.

Sorry

Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
When you say "catch a nail", do you mean feel it or that my fingernail actually gets caught up in it. It's more the former that it goes from smooth to slightly/moderately abrasive.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 PM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
Did something hit your bumper?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
ouch. that hurts

Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
hard to tell on white but it looks like it will buff out to me.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Sorry to see that happen to your new car, but keep it in perspective....you have a healthy child, the means to own such a car and many more things to realize this is a non-issue.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I feel your pain! Give the buffing a try - nothing to lose! Keep us advised.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gleek48
Not a big deal, but noticed a few fairly sizable scrapes/medium scratches in my bumper. When I wiped away some dirt, i could tell there was a few medium scratches in the plastic bumper.

Do you think something like this can be buffed out? It seems deeper than clear coat.
I am pretty confident from looking at your picture that the scratch can be removed with simple rubbing compound. Use rubbing compund then wax over top of it as well.

You mention it goes from feeling "smooth to to slightly/moderately abrasive." So, at the very least, the smooth part will come off and you'll be left with a small portion of the scratch that might still be slightly visible.

You're lucky your car is white. White and silver hide blemishes better than the darker colors.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I would take it to the dealer and see what they say, but I'll bet it's repairable at a reasonable price.

ChuckJ

Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
I would try scratch x at this point, if that dosen't work I would just order the touch up paint at suncoast, brush on a small amount, a little scratch x to knock down after it dries, than the clear coat, than final buff down with scratch x, at that point it'll be hard to notice. People who don't know its there won't know, only you would know of course.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Sorry to see that happen to your new car, but keep it in perspective....you have a healthy child, the means to own such a car and many more things to realize this is a non-issue.
Great advise!

It's funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing last night. Having kid(s) will do that to your perspective. A few years back and I would have been royally pissed. Now, it's unfortunate, but just another thing on my list to take care of.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
I am pretty confident from looking at your picture that the scratch can be removed with simple rubbing compound. Use rubbing compund then wax over top of it as well.

You mention it goes from feeling "smooth to to slightly/moderately abrasive." So, at the very least, the smooth part will come off and you'll be left with a small portion of the scratch that might still be slightly visible.

You're lucky your car is white. White and silver hide blemishes better than the darker colors.
Is rubbing compound the same as one of the machine polishes from Griot's Garage? Can it be done by hand or does it need a machine polisher?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My cherry has been busted