991 10 day test on Pistonheads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
whats the point of this link?

Its a 991 discussion..(11 pages long).

Is there something there that I AM (edited from we) missing here?

Last edited by buck986; 05-09-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
whats the point of this link?

Its a 991 discussion..(11 pages long).

Is there something there that we are missing here?
What's the point? It is a well written account by a part time journalist of his 10 day interaction with the 991. It seems a fitting link in the 991 forum.

I am not sure what you are missing. (BTW Are you representing people other than yourself with the 'we' comment? I didn't know you spoke for others.)

Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Good discussion there at PH. Echoes much of what we've discussed in 6speed, and my own view of the 991 is a blend of what was said at PH.

IMO, the bottom line is that the 997 is a better choice for people who want to hang on to more of the feel of the older 911s, and the 991 is a better choice for people who would rather give up a good bit of that feel in order to get greater and more accessible performance. Both are great cars, but genuinely different, so it's important for people to take the time to know themselves and the cars, and then pick the one they like better.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 AM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sapster
It is a well written account by a part time journalist of his 10 day interaction with the 991. It seems a fitting link in the 991 forum.
Agreed. Reading the posts of some of the "experts" who felt obliged to chime in was a little tiresome, but the OP was definitely worth following.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Good discussion there at PH. Echoes much of what we've discussed in 6speed, and my own view of the 991 is a blend of what was said at PH.

IMO, the bottom line is that the 997 is a better choice for people who want to hang on to more of the feel of the older 911s, and the 991 is a better choice for people who would rather give up a good bit of that feel in order to get greater and more accessible performance. Both are great cars, but genuinely different, so it's important for people to take the time to know themselves and the cars, and then pick the one they like better.
this is my point...it just like we have here...why post someone else's thread.

It doesn't offer anything difference.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM
What's the point? It is a well written account by a part time journalist of his 10 day interaction with the 991. It seems a fitting link in the 991 forum.

I am not sure what you are missing. (BTW Are you representing people other than yourself with the 'we' comment? I didn't know you spoke for others.)
OK...

But is 11 pages long and all I asked was what the point of pointing out the thread .

does it contain anything that has not been discussed here?

I can read reviews from people here that have had the car for months.

OK..he's a journalist...where's the article and why is it in a forum section.

And i understand your comment on the "we". I made a mistake. I have seen enough of your posts on RL to understand where you come from.

I will edit it.

Actually I just reread my post...by we I was referring to the forum as a whole...Are we missing some discussion piece that is brought up in that thread.

Last edited by buck986; 05-09-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
OK...

But is 11 pages long and all I asked was what the point of pointing out the thread .

does it contain anything that has not been discussed here?

I can read reviews from people here that have had the car for months.

OK..he's a journalist...where's the article and why is it in a forum section.

And i understand your comment on the "we". I made a mistake. I have seen enough of your posts on RL to understand where you come from.

I will edit it.

Actually I just reread my post...by we I was referring to the forum as a whole...Are we missing some discussion piece that is brought up in that thread.
It is another insight into the 991 and one I found interesting coming from where he did. My main take away from it is that it may take some time to appreciate the 991. In any case, I am sorry you don't find it worth reading, but it seems some others do.

When you posted that you were only the one who claimed to be missing something, that's why I don't understand why you said we.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
this is my point...it just like we have here...why post someone else's thread.

It doesn't offer anything difference.
I would say the PH discussion is similar, but I still found it worth reading. Since I'm still exploring the idea of getting a 991, I'd rather read more of this stuff than less.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
I have more or less the same feeling as Chris Harris, the car just grown on me over the time.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by iambon
I have more or less the same feeling as Chris Harris, the car just grown on me over the time.
It may be a matter of gradually letting go of how the 991 is not like the older 911s (ie, expectations), and learning to embrace what the car offers instead. It's a new and different car - "not your father's (911)".

Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 AM
It is another insight into the 991 and one I found interesting coming from where he did. My main take away from it is that it may take some time to appreciate the 991. In any case, I am sorry you don't find it worth reading, but it seems some others do.

When you posted that you were only the one who claimed to be missing something, that's why I don't understand why you said we.
Never said is wasn't worth reading...but I wanted to get an idea of what it was about before I looked thru 11 pages.

the point about it growing on people over time is a very valid one.

And should not be understated...thanks for posting it

Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I would say the PH discussion is similar, but I still found it worth reading. Since I'm still exploring the idea of getting a 991, I'd rather read more of this stuff than less.
+1.
Originally Posted by iambon
I hate that this is true. It's as if car companies count on this.

"We'll change the car to appeal a new democraphic, and to move forward with new features/regulation requirements. Those who are new will like it, those who are existing will come around to it, because there is no better alternative, they will embrace it (eventually), and it will be successful.

(I draw a similar comparison to the 993 -> 996 route)

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I hate that this is true. It's as if car companies count on this.

"We'll change the car to appeal a new democraphic, and to move forward with new features/regulation requirements. Those who are new will like it, those who are existing will come around to it, because there is no better alternative, they will embrace it (eventually), and it will be successful.

(I draw a similar comparison to the 993 -> 996 route)
It's not so bad, though, if the new car is improved in some real and important ways, which the 991 is. As was the 996.

The solution for people who prefer an older generation (which isn't unreasonable) is to get one, and fortunately a good number are available, though I fear that I may really want a 993 or 997 GT3 and be unable to find one meeting my requirements at a price I can accept. The 1980s 911s I drove were also really cool, but they lacked power, and the more powerful versions are much harder to find (and more expensive).

Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
It's not so bad, though, if the new car is improved in some real and important ways, which the 991 is. As was the 996.

The solution for people who prefer an older generation (which isn't unreasonable) is to get one, and fortunately a good number are available, though I fear that I may really want a 993 or 997 GT3 and be unable to find one meeting my requirements at a price I can accept. The 1980s 911s I drove were also really cool, but they lacked power, and the more powerful versions are much harder to find (and more expensive).
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm one of those guys that likes new directions. Even if things were GREAT as they once were, they usually don't get worse (except for the design of the Mustang during the '70s, '80s and '90s). I like the new 991... A LOT! The rear end finally looks 'right'. The interior finally looks like a place I wouldn't mind spending my time for long periods. Don't get me wrong - I liked the stripped down nature of previous 911s, but the time for those have gone, and the touring car setup is selling everywhere. As long as companies like Lotus, Caterham, and Ariel are in business, we can buy scaffolding with an engine, and have fun. Anything more than that is a bonus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 10 day test on Pistonheads