Recommended Tire Pressures for track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Recommended Tire Pressures for track

Getting ready for my first DE day and was wondering what you folks are using for cold initial tire pressures for the 20 inch PZeros?

SMATL mentioned that he starts around 34/39 (F/R). What do you guys use?

On a side note, I got approval for the permanent number 991. Pretty Cool!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM
parkerfe is infamous around these parts
The OM calls for 36/44 (F/R) for full load which is usually what is considered best for DE track events.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
THanks. I've been out a few times and found that 32/35 cold is much better for me.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
30/33 cold for me was great.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gleek48
THanks. I've been out a few times and found that 32/35 cold is much better for me.
One yer later and with more trials, this is also the case for me (but i mostly run R888 on the track).
The cold temperature is a bit tricky in fact. My goal is to be around 40/40 hot. I drop the pressure by ~4psi front and rear (I never have the rear up to 44) when I get at the track and bleed the tires to be at 40/40 right after the first session when the tires are hot. I keep monitoring during the day

Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Allez is infamous around these parts
I did my first track day in my own car two weeks ago and I perused the forum extensively for info on tire pressure before that. For daily driving I've been running 32/35 and noticed as the tires warmed up the pressure would increase by about four PSI. On track day I started with 36/44. By the second thirty minute session my rear pressure was at 52. So I was in a constant battle to let just enough air out but not too much. The air temp started in the mid 50 s and ended in the mid 60 s. For my next track day I think I'll start at 34/40.

I did notice the on board TPM system is pretty accurate, but I do think it is wise to have a high quality pressure gauge. Some of the more experienced drivers had air cylinders so the didn't have to be as careful about letting air out as I had to be.

Have fun!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Allez
I did my first track day in my own car two weeks ago and I perused the forum extensively for info on tire pressure before that. For daily driving I've been running 32/35 and noticed as the tires warmed up the pressure would increase by about four PSI. On track day I started with 36/44. By the second thirty minute session my rear pressure was at 52. So I was in a constant battle to let just enough air out but not too much. The air temp started in the mid 50 s and ended in the mid 60 s. For my next track day I think I'll start at 34/40.

I did notice the on board TPM system is pretty accurate, but I do think it is wise to have a high quality pressure gauge. Some of the more experienced drivers had air cylinders so the didn't have to be as careful about letting air out as I had to be.

Have fun!
That's way, way too high. Porsche recommends starting at 31/34 for normal driving, and since on the track you tend to get the wheels much hotter, it makes more sense to go lower I found if they get about 40 when hot, they get very slippery.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Attilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the rough
Optimal Tire pressures will vary quite a bit between different tires. On the stock pzero I found that I had the best grip and most consistent feel at hot temps of 28psi front and ~31psi rear. I've only done a few days of testing with the car, so I may still make adjustments.

I originally started at hot temps closer 40psi. The car didn't feel terrible, but I was getting more under steer on corner entry and over steer on exit then I was expecting. I started lowering the pressures and was amazed at what a big difference it made. It was like a different car.

At 28/32 hot I am also not getting excessive sidewall rolling over. In general the tires seem to be wearing very evenly and better than I expected. My car has SPASM, no PDCC and -1.8 camber front and -2.2 rear. It is completely stock.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
I did my first DE in my new 991S two weeks ago. The car is completely stock with PZeros and the full alphabet soup: PDK, PDCC, SPASM, PTV, PSM and (just joking here) LSMFT! (How many here remember what that stands for?)

Checking tire pressures immediately upon pitting after every session, my goal was to keep the tires at around 37/39 HOT. Temperatures were in the high 70's, so when they cooled off they were way down around 30/32 or thereabouts.

I concur with others' comments - at about 40 psi they start to get slippery. If they ever get over 40 psi I'm letting air out at the first opportunity.

Keep in mind that Porsche's "recommended" settings are for the street, and have to account for things like potholes. They also dial in understeer to keep us from driving off the road backwards, like the old 930s loved to do. In a controlled environment like a track, those recommendations are not so relevant.

Of course, bringing your tire pressures down that much means that you're going to have to air up the tires for the drive home, unless you're really careful about potholes or have much better roads than we have here in Southern California. I always bring an air compressor to the track so I can air up before the drive home.

Note that Attila's recommendations above refer to using the car in an AX event, not a DE. I think I'd run higher pressures than that at the higher DE speeds. But he was running pressures significantly lower than me at that last AX and he cleaned my clock - so I'm going to go lower next time! (I will readily concede, however, that there was more to that time difference than tire pressures. He's a really good AX'er!)

DMoore
'13 C2S
'10 Panamera 4S
PCA National DE Instructor / POC PDS Instructor / PCA AX Instructor

Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
GrayBlack is infamous around these parts
I should've searched for this thread before I hit Willow Springs today. I was running 36/44 while the temp was around 60 degrees. During my second session the temp went up to 75 and my tires were at 42/50. I ended up sliding around at almost every turn. I'd suggest staying below 40 psi or you could end up in the dirt. Besides the tire pressure, the track day was a blast!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Turn 2 eats tires for lunch.
How was your tire wear?
Did you run your street tires or a 2nd set?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
GrayBlack is infamous around these parts
I just ran my street tires. They looked melted at the days end, but there's still a decent amount of tread left.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:53 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Bumping this very useful thread to see if people have refined their tire pressure targets?

I will be doing my first DE at VIR this week end (on my stock P-Zeros). Stoked.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
As others have mentioned, pressure will somewhat depend on the tire, the track, and your driving style.

General rule of thumb, and a good starting point will always be 38-40psi hot, especially for a street tire. R Compound tires like it a tad lower.

I find the stock tires pretty good actually out on track and aim to be around 38 front and 40 rear, I have a C4S and find I get a touch less understeer mid corner with those numbers.

But you do need to play around a bit to find what works best for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Understood. Just helpful to have a starting point from those of you with experience. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire Pressures for track