Adding sunroof for resale value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
elam is infamous around these parts
Adding sunroof for resale value?

I was spec'ing out a 991s build with my sales guy. He urged me to add a sunroof for resale purposes (he said especially in California). I have had sunroof/moonroof in my past cars and I've never really used them. Maybe I will use the tilt function when the car is parked under the sun in a really hot day (like once or twice a year). Other than that, I really don't use it and its just another thing that may break.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
No offense but... buy what you want, not what the next guy wants. I'm sure that 8 out of 10 of used P car buyers in S. CA wouldn't be excited to purchase your used car if it doesn't have a sunroof but the other 2 owners might be hardcore P car enthusiasts who don't want the added weight/complexity, etc.... So yes, not having a sunroof is likely to affect your resale but it might just add to resale to the rigth buyer and really... who cares? Cars are HORRIBLE investments anyway... buy what makes YOU happy.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
^this

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
sunroof? what sunroof. that thing barely opens.
Don't get it. I don't remember when is the last time i used it.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Is it going to add as much in resale as it does in new option cost? To me that's the real question, and I seriously doubt the answer is "yes". Get it the way you want it. The only time I usually use the sunroof is to vent air when it's parked in the warm months. I wish I could have gotten one w/out a sunroof, but that wasn't an option on the 997 Carreras.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I really dont care for the sunroof, but at this price range, it is a must have option on any car, wether you like it or not. iMO...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM
poot991 is infamous around these parts
Seems strange to me that you guys have to add this as an option in the first place. It comes standard here and I can't even delete it - but on a car this pricey it should be standard with a delete option. I say get it. You don't have to open it if you don't want to, any addition to weight will surely be negligible and I don't think it looks too different from the outside when closed? Also, if you don't get it, would there be (more) empty buttons on the centre console?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, someone will give you 1500 for a sunroof... thats a joke... tell em it's lighter and a true sportscar buyer would say "yeaaaahhhh thats what i want"

it's quite a bit lighter..

it's like the stupid people who didn't order a carbon roof on the latest m3=stupid!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
never like it & never use it. oh maybe i do, when i have food in the car. i know i shouldn't.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
I say don't get it since you are more concerned about the resale value instead of actually using it. Just my .02

Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 PM
elam is infamous around these parts
Thanks everyone for their inputs. I realized I phrased the question incorrectly. The idea was that the lack of a sunroof may be a deal killer for certain used car buyers.

In any case, I've decided to order mine without a sunroof. I rest my case.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elam
Thanks everyone for their inputs. I realized I phrased the question incorrectly. The idea was that the lack of a sunroof may be a deal killer for certain used car buyers.

In any case, I've decided to order mine without a sunroof. I rest my case.
good move. i order my car the way i want and careless what the next buyer needs. that's the priviledge of buying a new car.

the roof is pretty stupid. it opens about 2/3 or normal roof. i love open air driving but will not buy this if i were ordering one. i would either go coupe without roof or get a cabriolet for full on open air. the little extra money you save can be spend on other costly options. sigh...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
your biggest factor in resale will be the color you pick,
ask the sales guy the price difference on trade between silver and speed yellow.
will be 3-5 grand

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tonka858
your biggest factor in resale will be the color you pick,
ask the sales guy the price difference on trade between silver and speed yellow.
will be 3-5 grand
Or racing green.

which I love.

Congrats on your order. Best thing to do is to follow your gut. You can't go wrong when you do that.

Last edited by Inglorious; 05-18-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Funny, I had mine without it because I never use the one I have, but then decided to get it because I thought the resale market would be reduced significantly if it didn't have it. Then someone said that by lifting the rear it solved the buffeting problem, confirming my thoughts. It doesn't matter for me now though BECAUSE MINE IS ON THE BOAT!!

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding sunroof for resale value?