S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM
MJA
MJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really niceMJA is just really nice
4S or wait for the Turbo...

Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
When I went from a Cayman S to 911 (997.2) I first tried the C2s and simply did not like the steering compared to the Cayman,.....just a bit too light and vague for my tastes. Then I tried a C4S and loved it. Steering was a little bit heavier and the car felt more planted. The additional width in back was also very much to my liking.

Fast forward,...I now have on order a 991s, not 4s. With the 991 the steering is now "right" in my mind (yeah, go figure) and it feels even more planted compared to the old gen 4s. I believe the width is even the same now in back. So for me, there is no real reason to go with a 4s this time,.....but other than that I have absolutely no argument against a 4s, I can only immagine the new version will be awesome.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy

Fast forward,...I now have on order a 991s, not 4s. With the 991 the steering is now "right" in my mind (yeah, go figure) and it feels even more planted compared to the old gen 4s. I believe the width is even the same now in back. So for me, there is no real reason to go with a 4s this time,.....but other than that I have absolutely no argument against a 4s, I can only immagine the new version will be awesome.
The new 991 chassis is 2in wider than the 997, which would probably put you exactly where the old 997 4s was.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Naturally aspirated 4S!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Smaller trunk, more weight, more cost. Are you really going to be driving in weather such that it matters? I know there are snow tires, but this thing is so low, as it is, you would beach on a snow drift all of 3 inches high!

If you like a big caboose, like Sid (Hi Sid!) fine and I am sure there are times that 4 drive wheels are an advantage. But for me the C2S with PDCC was the answer. Enjoy. Either will be great!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Smaller trunk, more weight, more cost. Are you really going to be driving in weather such that it matters? I know there are snow tires, but this thing is so low, as it is, you would beach on a snow drift all of 3 inches high!

If you like a big caboose, like Sid (Hi Sid!) fine and I am sure there are times that 4 drive wheels are an advantage. But for me the C2S with PDCC was the answer. Enjoy. Either will be great!
AG:
Do you drive yours in the snow in New Jersey? How does it drive? Winter tires? Chains?

ChuckJ

Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Smaller trunk...why?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
AG:
Do you drive yours in the snow in New Jersey? How does it drive? Winter tires? Chains?

ChuckJ
There was no snow to drive it in this year. I picked mine up at the end of March, but we only had snow on Halloween last year.

But I have no intention of driving in the snow. I was only partially kidding about the ground clearence. More to the I don't want to drive through all of the salt, sand and filth thatis on the roads in winter. If I can find a clear day when the roads are not totally covered with all of that, I will take it out.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Smaller trunk...why?
When I looked at the 4s of the 997, the trunk was literally half the size. The back, deeper half was taken up by the front wheel drive. I just assume that will be the case for the 991 as well.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
There was no snow to drive it in this year. I picked mine up at the end of March, but we only had snow on Halloween last year.

But I have no intention of driving in the snow. I was only partially kidding about the ground clearence. More to the I don't want to drive through all of the salt, sand and filth thatis on the roads in winter. If I can find a clear day when the roads are not totally covered with all of that, I will take it out.
That kind of what I figured, but I didn't know if you had a 997 that you had snow experience with.

ChuckJ

Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
That kind of what I figured, but I didn't know if you had a 997 that you had snow experience with.

ChuckJ
Directly no. But I have a good friend who,lives in the hills outside of Munich toward the Black Forest. He used his 997.2 Targa as a DD, including in the snow. He said the 4 wheel drive did quite well. But his car was a lease so he never intended to keep it.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 PM
When I looked at the 4s of the 997, the trunk was literally half the size. The back, deeper half was taken up by the front wheel drive. I just assume that will be the case for the 991 as well.
Ah, I hope that's not the case for 991....!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

Hey I heard that!
I just can't help myself... I LOVEEEE that wide rear end!
I do like the extra planted feel of the AWD as well but like you I do not drive the 911 in winter, too much crap on the roads (salt, gravel and sliding vehicles...) not to mention that it would turn into a snowplow pretty quickly...

That said I have taken the C4S on a few days with fresh fluffy snow covered mountain roads and even on a frozen lake with a figure 8 circuit... man that was fun and the C4S handles amazingly, truly mind boggling!

But other than that the C4S stays nice and comfy in the garage till spring.
BTW I got a confirmation from my dealer that the 991 C4S will start production in Jan with delivery in March/April.

I have never had the patience to wait this long for a car...EVER!
Must be getting old.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hey I heard that!
I just can't help myself... I LOVEEEE that wide rear end!
I do like the extra planted feel of the AWD as well but like you I do not drive the 911 in winter, too much crap on the roads (salt, gravel and sliding vehicles...) not to mention that it would turn into a snowplow pretty quickly...

That said I have taken the C4S on a few days with fresh fluffy snow covered mountain roads and even on a frozen lake with a figure 8 circuit... man that was fun and the C4S handles amazingly, truly mind boggling!

But other than that the C4S stays nice and comfy in the garage till spring.
BTW I got a confirmation from my dealer that the 991 C4S will start production in Jan with delivery in March/April.

I have never had the patience to wait this long for a car...EVER!
Must be getting old.

wow...march delivery...really...that's a long way!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Like everyone else says, AWD helps in winter but not by much. Wider rear is the only justification to buy 4S over S IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why?