Gearshift Assist, 991 MT, Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zelig
Same issue. It would be nice if the owners manual said something about this. Thank goodness for Google and this forum!!!
Haven't checked the printed manual, but the iManual has a brief description.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...hift-assistant

Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
The big dial in the middle of the dash is my gear shift assistant. Shift at redline.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 19hole
It has an rotary scale that goes from gray, to yellow to red indicating that it is time to shift. It also shows the current gear in the center.

Downside is that if you are driving hard enough to be in those RPM ranges, you don't want to be looking down at the dashboard!

If you really need it to tell you when to shift an manual transmission, it may be time for a PDK.
+1

I always thought that all it took to tell me when to shift was the Tach, until I took my first DE course. Then I had the instructor yelling in my ear when to shift.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:50 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
The big dial in the middle of the dash is my gear shift assistant. Shift at redline.
If you are looking down at your tach, you're either:

#1 Going straight
#2 Going too slow

Lights can be perceived a little easier, using peripheral vision...

... soft eyes, right?
Originally Posted by lrattner
+1

I always thought that all it took to tell me when to shift was the Tach, until I took my first DE course. Then I had the instructor yelling in my ear when to shift.
Exactly!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Zelig is infamous around these parts
I use the sound and feel of the car plus the tach. If the car didn't have a tach like old beetles when the car felt maxed out in gear and sounded like it was straining too hard you upshifted. Old beetles were great to learn to learn on.

My question related to why the shift assistant wasn't lighting up as mentioned in the owners manual (imanual says the same thing). The answer I have gotten is you need to hit 5,000 RPM to activate it which you're not supposed to do until the engine is broken in.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
You have to drive the car very aggressive for it to work....

Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
ae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to beholdae911 is a splendid one to behold
I did not use it on the track and would recommend not to use it... you will know when to change gears. Rev-matching is a blast but something that happened to one of the other drivers with MT and myself was the clutch pedal getting stuck, revs high and not going anywhere. Hard to explain but it was like the car was telling us not to try a more aggressive start off the line...