Gearshift Assist, 991 MT, Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Gearshift Assist, 991 MT, Help!

The MT 991 has a Gearshift Assistant that according to the manual provides assistance during performance-oriented driving.
I can see the display showing what gear is engaged but it does not prompt me to shift gears as it is supposed to.
Do I have to activate this feature? If so, how?
I placed a call to my dealer but have not heard back yet.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
Wait until after your break-in period. Run the engine out past 5000 RPM and it will start to work.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 19hole
Wait until after your break-in period. Run the engine out past 5000 RPM and it will start to work.
Thanks! Already have 400 miles in it. Need another 1600 to go. Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
My understanding is the Gear assist comes into play when you hit the higher rpm's ... I haven't tried it yet since I only have around 700 miles

Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM
jdsc is infamous around these parts
Same issue here and only have 1,000 miles on the car so need to wait a bit longer.
19 Hole, do you have a 991 MT and can you confirm it does work as advertised? Or for that matter, anyone else that has already broken in their car and can confirm.

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:58 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
It does work as I stated above...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
jdsc is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the confirmation!!!!! Something to look forward to as well as 7,600 rpm's.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Those that have seen this... what exactly does it look like? Does the gear shift indicator number flash or something?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
It has an rotary scale that goes from gray, to yellow to red indicating that it is time to shift. It also shows the current gear in the center.

Downside is that if you are driving hard enough to be in those RPM ranges, you don't want to be looking down at the dashboard!

If you really need it to tell you when to shift an manual transmission, it may be time for a PDK.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. Sounds more gimicky than anything. Perhaps it will be subtly noticeable at night.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
so its a shift light. they should make that a heads up display or on the steering wheel like Ferrari's. yeah, it's a little gimick...

Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by 19hole
It has an rotary scale that goes from gray, to yellow to red indicating that it is time to shift. It also shows the current gear in the center.
Downside is that if you are driving hard enough to be in those RPM ranges, you don't want to be looking down at the dashboard!
If you really need it to tell you when to shift an manual transmission, it may be time for a PDK.
Agree, BUT when you are moving at high speed your eyes are on the road and the RPM needle is moving very fast so perhaps your peripheral vision can tell a lot easier that you moved from yellow-to-red rather than watching the revs counter. I have NOT tried this yet (still in break-in mode), but just a thought.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
After looking at it a couple of times, you can probably calibrate your ear to hear the proper rev.

ChuckJ

Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Zelig is infamous around these parts
Same issue. It would be nice if the owners manual said something about this. Thank goodness for Google and this forum!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
so its a shift light. they should make that a heads up display or on the steering wheel like Ferrari's....
Agreed... Or like Corvettes have had for years!
Originally Posted by nicoff
Agree, BUT when you are moving at high speed your eyes are on the road and the RPM needle is moving very fast so perhaps your peripheral vision can tell a lot easier that you moved from yellow-to-red rather than watching the revs counter. I have NOT tried this yet (still in break-in mode), but just a thought.
Exactly! I love shift lights, not because of...
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
After looking at it a couple of times, you can probably calibrate your ear to hear the proper rev.
... but because I drive MANY different cars (as much as possible), and I can't always calibrate from one car to the next between closing the door, and pushing the RPMs (on track, or just in general). Sometimes I don't have much time in the car (trading for a session, parade laps, etc...). Any indicator I have to make a correct decision when pushing a car, I'll take.

Besides, you guys think they put lights on the steering wheel on F-1 wheels as a gimmick?

Last edited by jaspergtr; 10-04-2013 at 05:52 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gearshift Assist, 991 MT, Help!