If I got into a 991 I'd probably love...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
If I got into a 991 I'd probably love...

In no particular order...

A) the auto close sunroof
B) auto headlights
C) the rear LATCH (I use a porsche seat for our daughter in the back now)
D) the intake sound piped into the interior
E) the 7 speed (4000 rpms at 90mph is too high)
F) windshield wipers that didn't come off a 944
G) lower road noise/tire roar
H) a more modern ignition switch
I) wider front track for better turn in
J) Electronic parking brake - I've never trusted the brake in my car

Things I may like less than my current 997.2...

A) electric steering
B) less bob in the front end
C) less torque at a higher peak in the 3.4 vs the 3.6 I have now

On the fence whether to get a 991 or buy my 997.2 off lease (which I retrofitted with PSE, mf heated wheel and Porsche sport software).

Might look into a 48 month lease.

Last edited by drspeed; 06-05-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
A-I ... almost all creature comforts and gizmos. I would be looking for :
1/ sufficient height for a racing helmet
2/ real exhaust sound
3/ real hand brake
4/ Space for a connected Ipad / I phone

etc
Just kidding but... I think this is exactly what is happening to the Porsche customer more gizmo's and less raw driving, combined with the relentless pursuit of police in order to eliminate any Fahrfergnuegen in the USA through fines, and insurance hikes and... guilt !!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hroussard
almost all creature comforts and gizmos. I would be looking for :
1/ sufficient height for a racing helmet
2/ real exhaust sound
3/ real hand brake
4/ Space for a connected Ipad / I phone

I think this is exactly what is happening to the Porsche customer more gizmo's and less raw driving!!!!
+1 Agree that diluting the brand is dangerous. Was the reason I left BMW. They are now luxury cars - not enough sport.

I will qualify my comments by adding that my 997.2 is my sole daily driver. I put on the snows in winter and I always have a baby seat in the back. They made that "everyday" commercial about me LOL. So yes, the only thing that interests me about the 991 is creature comforts. I'd have a 997.2 GT3 as my DD given the choice - however, I figured it makes more sense to have a base carrera for
a DD and an older dedicated track car for DE. I absolutely love driving on track - and getting a track car is on the top of my wish list. But back to the 991. As a daily driver it has some real improvements over the 997.2. As for how far the performance envelope has been increased, I think the answer to that question lies in the forthcoming GTxxx models. Judging by this ALMS season - improvement is badly needed.

P.S. I'm 6'6" and my helmet barely fits in my 997.2. The 991 is a tad lower..?

Cheers,
Drp

Last edited by drspeed; 06-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
in retrospect

I did (rather unexpectedly) get a 991 last Saturday (a base carrera - manual). I'll post pics as soon as I take some good ones.

So yes, I like all the things I listed originally. The ride of the car is much more compliant. The seats/interior are more comfortable, and it is vastly more comfortable on the highway.

but... I didn't appreciate that it really is a different car altogether. Still a 911 but a very modernized version.

The car feels large from behind the wheel - the view out the window is more like a 308 Ferrari than a 997. The doors are higher, so your arms doesn't slot up there as easily. The front end doesn't really feel light. Steering is good, but not to be compared with the 997.

There is lots of helmet room! The car sticks like glue in the bends and the engine sounds glorious through the intake piped into the interior (I don't have PSE - yet).

My 10 second analysis...if you've never driven a 911, the 991 will only impress you. If you've driven 911s previously and loved the quasi race-car minimalism to the car, that quality is almost gone (fortunately you get a lot of new goodies in return). If you drive a 911 sporadically for short distances with the windows down and really appreciate the occasion of the car - the 997 is a better experience. If you pride raw objective performance - the 991 wins hands down and lastly, if you use your car daily, you'll likely agree that the useful practicality in the 991 vs. prior models justifies any loss of "character". Its a thoroughly modern 911. I'm very curious to see how visceral they choose to make the GT3...?

Lastly, to anyone ordering a 991 - get the multifunction wheel. I had it on the 997.2 and it was not necessary since all the buttons were easily accessible. With the manual on the 991, the shifter is often in the way and there are more buttons than the 997.2 and they're smaller. I find myself thumbing my steering wheel often to no avail since I don't have MF - yet.

Happy 4th,
DRP

Last edited by drspeed; 07-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.