Painted Remote Key - Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Painted Remote Key DIY - Porsche 991/981/Cayenne/Panamera

Hi, I always wanted to paint my car key in white to match with my new 991S (factory optioned is way too expensive). However, I tried to search from the internet forum but I could not find the info anywhere how to disassemble Porsche key case.

However, a few days ago, I accidentally washed my car key (it was sit in my pant's pocket). The key was not able to operate... then I opened a battery cover... sad news, the battery was leaked with brownish liquid. I decided to repair it, and I will need to disassemble the key case without knowing of how to do it properly (anyway, it is already broken).

Luckily, I did it a pretty good job to disassemble the key case then using the hair dryer with brush to dry and remove all messes from the electronic parts/chips.

Thankfully, my Porsche key is alive and working again.. save me a lot of trouble (Porsche's quality is water proofed).
Since i was able to disassemble the key case with else so i decided to paint it with matt white spray then re-coat with matt clear lacquer. The result is fantastic and I really excite to show it to your guys, enjoys. I will write DIY soon.

PS. I also did a fix to my rattled left rear quarter window, so I was able to remove a whole rear seat and rear side panels to access the window assembly area. Then I used 3M tape to fix it and now there is no more rattles, I think I did a better job than OEM. (I also plan to remove the rear seat belts for both rear passengers to save some weight)

Anyone who have this window rattle's issue please let me know, i might be able to help.

Attached Images     

Last edited by iambon; 06-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Very nicely done! And lucky you that it still works!

It seems a little cheep / toyish to me. If it always was in your pocket and there was a button I could appreciate it. Do you guys who have used this for the ignition for a while like it as much as the old key?

ChuckJ

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Do I understand you right you had the whole rear seat out? Or are you referring to the seat back?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fbroen
Do I understand you right you had the whole rear seat out? Or are you referring to the seat back?
I had to remove the whole rear seat out in order to remove rear seat belt during the disassemble process of rear side panel.

Actually, it was easy

1) pull out the black / small rubber tray protection in the center of the rear seat then you will see a small plastic cover.
2) then remove a small cover then you will see the lock nut
3) remove the lock nut
4) remove rear seat belt socket covers - black plastic covers on both left / right, just simply pray it out. Then remove seat belt sockets.
5) lift up the seat on both left and right sides but leave the center part - they only use only Velcro to attach it the rear seat on both sides.
6) lift up the center arm rest cover and then lift up the rear part of the center rear seat. There are 2 small plastic clips in the front of rear seat - near the center arm rest, just simply pull it out, not very hard.

Last edited by iambon; 06-08-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by iambon
I had to remove the whole rear seat out in order to remove rear seat belt during the disassemble process of rear side panel.

Actually, it was easy

1) pull out the black / small rubber tray protection in the center of the rear seat then you will see a small plastic cover.
2) then remove a small cover then you will see the lock nut
3) remove the lock nut
4) remove rear seat belt socket - black plastic covers on both left / right, just simply pray it out. Then remove seat belt sockets.
5) pull up left and right rear seats - they only use only Velcro to attach it. Still leave the center part.
6) open the center arm rest cover and lift up the rear part of the center rear seat. There are 2 small plastic clip in the front near the center arm rest, just pull it out not hard.
pics of rear without the seat cushions? would be very interesting to see, the 997 didnt look half bad without them,

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
9114S2 is infamous around these parts
Nice on the painting - i just paid Porsche $350 for a Red Key -

Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 9114S2
Nice on the painting - i just paid Porsche $350 for a Red Key -
You did ?
Good man !
You're single handely saving the Euro. Give the man a Bell's !!!

Rainier

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
LOL - yes i did! - but, i will have the shiniest red key on the market

Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Diy

Here is DIY. It is very simple. Cheer! You only need to do step no. 1-6 in order to remove the side covers, to paint.

My matt white paint has

1 x times primer coat
4 x times matt white base coat
4 x times matt clear coat

The paint has a very strong scratch resistance. I drop it to the floor and no sign of any scratches, I am a very happy Porsche owner.

Attached Images      

Last edited by iambon; 06-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
The extra steps is what i did to repair my key.

Attached Images      
Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for back seat removal instructions. What was under center piece? Is the whole "back seat" carpeted like the 997? I would be interested in taking the rear seats all out.

Oh, and where are my manners? Key looks good. Glad you got it working again.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:07 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
awesome!

pics of rear seat area w/o the tunnel cover?

Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM
my key - factory painted.
Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  249.6 KB

Old 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
mojocowboy is infamous around these parts
Both painted keys look very cool.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by 9114S2
my key - factory painted.
Attachment 178899
biggest problem w key is that loop, the ring goes the wrong way making it impossible to "sit flat" funny every new porsche key i see everyone has the ring and hates how awkward it is... such an easy fix... but porsche doesn't notice?

never had a 997 key sit oddly in my pocket, clearly a design flaw nobody thought of.. keys are often ignored...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted Remote Key - Porsche