My Front Plate Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmmk
I'd get the retractable plates and keep them hidden all the time until I was pulled over. When the policeman came to the window to tell me why I was being stopped I would tell him, "Are you sure? Last time I looked they were there. Show me."

Think it would work?
If he had a good sense of humor, but if he had a bad day yours might be the same.

ChuckJ

Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
Generally, police don't pull you over for not having the plate, its the meter maid that has the hard on for no front plates. Thats why its perfect to have the retractable one, when you park in public streets, display it, when your driving, drop it.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
Generally, police don't pull you over for not having the plate, its the meter maid that has the hard on for no front plates. Thats why its perfect to have the retractable one, when you park in public streets, display it, when your driving, drop it.
I have NEVER got a ticket from a parking maid for not having a front license plate (in fact, I am not sure if they have the legal authority to write you up for it). In Virginia I have been pulled over and ticketed by police several times solely for not having the front plate.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Actually, I've never gotten a "revenue" ticket for no front plates. I've been stopped and warned a few times but the tickets said no further action required. The first time was in 1970. The next time was in 1991. I was stopped twice in 2000.

I don't now and haven't had front plates since 1981. They don't care around here. Even if they stop you for something else, they don't mention the plates.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BrandonH
Heres a neat idea.....retractable plate.

http://youtu.be/Vp5NBFGwga8
I think we need retractable door protectors in body color that hide in the door and extend when the door is opened.

I saw this in another post.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
I live in NYC.
I've been stopped at the Lincoln Tunnel Toll entrance and warned that if I go by again (which I do very often) without a front plate I'll get a 'summons' as it's a legal requirement. He let me off since I showed him I had the front plate (took it out from behind the seat to show him).
I asked a meter maid in Brooklyn about whether I have to have a front plate or risk a ticket and she said the 'rules have recently changed' (?) and that for her the plate needs only to be visible at the front (i.e. on dash in windshield) and that's enough.
Put a tow hook mounted bracket on...

Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
jnkk1 is infamous around these parts
+1 on the tow hook mounting bracket.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
pfan12000 is infamous around these partspfan12000 is infamous around these parts
I just go to Staples and Xeroxed the plate on a large mailing label with plastic lamination. Made 5 for less than $20 and stick it on my bumper (protected by wrap). Haven't been stopped yet.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I used magnets...centered and removable without leaving holes.
What kind of magnets? Rare earth? Do you have pictures and more importantly, did the plate ever come off in rough handling?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chancludo
What kind of magnets? Rare earth? Do you have pictures and more importantly, did the plate ever come off in rough handling?
And does it ever look askew?

ChuckJ

Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chancludo
5x 30lb rare earth magnets with steel cups on each side so 10 total. I'll try and post pictures later on.

Last edited by Johnny DB; 06-28-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
And does it ever look askew?

ChuckJ
Never! I checked many times when I first put it on and it never even moved.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Fantastic!! Where you got the magnets would be good also.

ChuckJ

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I found a pic I took when I removed the bumper and glued the magnets on the inside. The magnets have the steel cups on them. I will post a picture of the holder when I get home.

This is where I bought them: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...t=1,42348&ap=1

I've tested this concept up to 140mph on a closed course and it never moved.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Johnny DB; 06-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the purchase info. Why didn't you just epoxy the magnets to the bumper?

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Front Plate Install