I'll throw this out for your discussion.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by nicoff
Thanks! Your response made me check out what Wikipedia had to say and here is what I found (the bold emphasis is mine):

"The 997 was revised in 2008 for the 2009 model year. The updated Porsche 911 (called 997 Gen II internally at Porsche) included following changes:
  • A revised suspension
  • A revised front bumper with larger air intakes
  • Headlamps with newly optional dual HID projectors, a new LED taillamp shape, and LED turnsignals
  • New direct injection engines with redesigned Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)
  • Redesigned PCM system with optional touch-screen hard-drive navigation
  • Tiptronic S option was replaced by PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplung) 7-speed dual clutch transmission."
So if Porsche was calling the revised 997 their "997 Gen II", then Porsche led the way for the use of the 997.2 nomenclature. That would make the previous 997 the Gen I 997 or 997.1 for short. Based on the 997 history, if and when a Gen II 991 comes out, then the existing 991 will become 991.1.

I also read that Porsche added a few extra HPs to the 997.2 engine as well (maybe a benefit from the direct injection).

A side note: Apparently Porsche developed PDK in the 80's, but did not use it on production Porsches until the 997.2 and only after BMW, Nissan, and others beat Porsche to market with advanced dual-clutch transmissions for their top-line production cars.
Yes I remember all that. That's why I bought one. Even for me, 2009 was not that long ago.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mseligson
Seems like it's "Microsoft -speak" too, which has kind of taken over as a colloquial way of labeling things. Windows 98.1, etc.....
No, it's not Microsoft speak. That was my original reason for posting. Windows 98 would be version one. Version two would be 98.1. Minor revisions would be 98.11.

Look it up. I can't believe you don't get this.

Nobody but computer people would use the decimal (or .1, .2, etc.) version of numbering revisions. To car people it would be version 1 or 2, not .1 or .2. The trendy copy of the Microsoft speak is incorrect as far as computer colloquials go.

I don't mind it being one way or the other, don't get me wrong. I just find it funny, first that it was gotten "wrong" and second that it's being defended as if it is the correct way of numbering versions. It's not correct but is okay if that's what everyone wants to do. What's correct is Porsche's way of doing it. The other is just shorthand and flawed shorthand at that.

Go ask on a computer board.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hayabusa
The 991 IS already a 991.1

You just haven't come out of the closet with it yet!
Does that mean that the 991.2 will out the 991.1?

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
997.2 is the mid life facelift version of 997. All Porsche forum members are used to this. Some magazine will use 997.5 instead.

Yes, there will be a 991.2 version 3 years from now.
Interesting. I have never seen it called the 997.5.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Hayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to beholdHayabusa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Does that mean that the 991.2 will out the 991.1?
It's funny the silly stuff we obsess with, isn't it?!