PASM versus SPASM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 AM
nsblue is infamous around these parts
PASM versus SPASM

I have searched the forums for comments and opinions on the difference between PASM and SPASM. I know what you get with SPASM but before I order it I would like a sense of how much stiffer the suspension is in all modes. Also can you really tell much of a difference in appearance with 10 mm.

Planning on ordering a 991S coupe non PDCC that will do occasional track days and be a second vehicle.

Thanks for any comments or opinions!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
The suspension is not stiffer, just lower.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
After agonizing over this very question for weeks, I have just sent off an e-mail to my dealer to see if it is not yet too late to change my build from PASM to SPASM.

My only concerns were the additional 10mm ground clearance as I'm somewhat "challenged" with that kind of thing here.
After seeing a SPASM in person I think the difference is pretty small and it seems still fine.
I would perhaps like to take this on a track at times, just for fun. I used to race motor cycles when I was still young and stupid. Now I'm only stupid.
Hope I'm not going to regret this.

Rainier

Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I just found this, according to Porsche.com:

"The new PASM sports suspension is available as an option for both models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) or Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus). The ride height is 20 mm lower than with the standard suspension or 10 mm compared with the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has a more sporty geometry, the rear spoiler extends even further. These not only further reduce lift at the front axle, but also provide downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better performance."

19hole, I'm not trying to be difficult but it appears the springs are harder and shorter.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I drove an SPASM the other day and in normal mode it felt stiffer than my Non PASM Base, stiffer but never harsh, and thats a good thing in a sports car.

The aditional -10mm is definetely noticeable.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
I drove an SPASM the other day and in normal mode it felt stiffer than my Non PASM Base, stiffer but never harsh, and thats a good thing in a sports car.

The aditional -10mm is definetely noticeable.
I went with SpeedArt/H&R aftermarket springs (maybe a bit more aggressive/lower than SPASM) and the comfort is still OK, so SPASM should not be an issue.

OP, If you think you will be tracking the car, go SPASM+PDCC!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I have SPASM on my 2012 GTS and I like it. I was a little concerned initially that it might be too firm for daily use, but it is not. SPASM on my GTS is slightly firmer than regular PASM, but not harsh at all. On the 997, SPASM also comes with a limited slip differential, which is nice. All things considered, I would get it. I do not think you will be disappointed. The extra 10 mm lowering also makes the car look better. I am assuming that the SPASM on a 991 is similar to the 997.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm thinking I should go with the standard PASM and not take chances with the SPASM being too firm in normal mode. I am not ordering for another month or so, perhaps I'll get a bit more information in the meantime.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
iambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud ofiambon has much to be proud of
Hi I am the one who really like normal PASM, the ride is really smooth, and if I need a sport set up then just pust the suspension button. To be honest, I hardly use sport suspension on normal road since it is a bit too harsh for everyday. If I go to express way with smooth road surface then no problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Not sure about everyone's clearance concerns but SPASM is low and while it looks great I am pretty sure the front spoiler would eventually scrape off (my 997's did). My driveway more then anything was the main culprit here.

Whether to order or not - got for it. Its actually a small price to pay for the lower stance and gives you that extra sport setting.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Not sure about everyone's clearance concerns but SPASM is low and while it looks great I am pretty sure the front spoiler would eventually scrape off (my 997's did). My driveway more then anything was the main culprit here.

Whether to order or not - got for it. Its actually a small price to pay for the lower stance and gives you that extra sport setting.
Thanks uhn2000. Can you please explain what you meant by extra sport setting. Is there an extra or additional setting?

Did the car in your video test drive have SPASM and if so did you find the normal mode too stiff?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I went with SpeedArt/H&R aftermarket springs (maybe a bit more aggressive/lower than SPASM) and the comfort is still OK, so SPASM should not be an issue.

OP, If you think you will be tracking the car, go SPASM+PDCC!
PDCC option is too high a price to pay here (about $5000) for just occasional, non-competitive track use so I'll stick with SPASM.
H&R springs like yours are great (and looks right) but definitely too low for me, I'll be plowing the speed bumps in the road here with those !

Rainier

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=Rainier;3572663]PDCC option is too high a price to pay here (about $5000) for just occasional, non-competitive track use so I'll stick with SPASM.
H&R springs like yours are great (and looks right) but definitely too low for me, I'll be plowing the speed bumps in the road here with those !

Rainier[/QUOTE
Agreed, PDCC is nice and probably necessary if you want to win races, but my experiences without it says that at .8Gs you have no idea the car is leaning.

ChuckJ

Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
PASM is great for allowing larger rims to be comfortable (acceptable) on the street and have fun on back roads when wanted.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
BnB
BnB is infamous around these parts
[quote=ChuckJ;3572681]
Originally Posted by Rainier
PDCC option is too high a price to pay here (about $5000) for just occasional, non-competitive track use so I'll stick with SPASM.

Rainier[/QUOTE
Agreed, PDCC is nice and probably necessary if you want to win races, but my experiences without it says that at .8Gs you have no idea the car is leaning.

ChuckJ
That's because it isn't.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PASM versus SPASM