Glass Sunroof Production Delay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by TSpyder
Yes, dark blue metallic. IMO looks far better in the bright sun than in the shade...or at night.
Looks very nice.... Congrats.....

Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 AM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sammy72
love it. so did you do a euro delivery? fantastic trip and really wish i could do the same for mine but unfortunately couldnt get away from work.

i think the blue is too dark to really notice the glass sunroof; one would need to get a light coloured car to really accentuate the lines.

having said that, for me i ordered to glass sunroof (with agate grey)so i can get a lighter interior.

enjoy the ride!!
Thx for the kind words!

Yes, this is my 3rd ED--first two were BMWs--and Wifey and I are enjoying the trip, and car, immensely.

As I noted earlier, the glass s/r does not alter the appearance of a dark color, like my DBM, appreciably. This is not in any way an esthetic observation, but rather to simply note that if one wishes to alter the looks of the 991 with this option, best go with a lighter color. Functionally, the glass s/r is terrific; similar to the moonroof in my 650, except it actually opens when desired.

Spyder

Last edited by TSpyder; 06-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Thx for the kind words!

Yes, this is my 3rd ED--first two were BMWs--and Wifey and I are enjoying the trip, and car, immensely.

As I noted earlier, the glass s/r does not alter the appearance of a dark color, like my DBM, appreciably. This is not in any way an esthetic observation, but rather to simply note that if one wishes to alter the looks of the 991 with this option, best go with a lighter color. Functionally, the glass s/r is terrific; similar to the moonroof in my 650, except it actually opens when desired.

Spyder
Nice - always thought that 6er should have had the sliding glass roof; would have made it so much better.

Congrats on the car I am curious to see how this compares to the current Targa roof as I am thinking of replacing my ride very soon.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Thx for the kind words!

Spyder
And this one didn't cost you extra!!

ChuckJ

Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
And this one didn't cost you extra!!

ChuckJ
You lost me, Chuck. The moonroof on the 650 coupe is mandatory and free, while both the standard and glass s/r on the 991 cost about $2k.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You lost me, Chuck. The moonroof on the 650 coupe is mandatory and free, while both the standard and glass s/r on the 991 cost about $2k.
I was talking about the fact that they now no longer charge extra for picking it up at the factory.

ChuckJ

Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Yes, dark blue metallic. IMO looks far better in the bright sun than in the shade...or at night.
dark blue transformed into aqua metallic blue under the bright sun light, nice pix.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:13 PM
SoCalRick is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tachyon
dark blue transformed into aqua metallic blue under the bright sun light, nice pix.
That's the first thing that I thought too when I saw that picture!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 AM
I was talking about the fact that they now no longer charge extra for picking it up at the factory.

ChuckJ
Ah yes, my bad. You also get a night at a 5* hotel in STR, a nice lunch, and some bargaining power with the dealer.

Last edited by TSpyder; 07-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Euro Delivery Pricing at Porsche

I was talking about the fact that they now no longer charge extra for picking it up at the factory. ChuckJ
It all depends on how you negotiate a deal, Chuck. It is my understanding that PAG and PCNA have set it so that the dealer is charged an extra fee for European Delivery of the customer's car. If the customer is paying MSRP or near it, the dealer might swallow the charge and you may come to think of it as a no cost option. But if you negotiate a very 'tight' deal from invoice up, the dealer will more likely pass the ED charge on to you since he is being charged for it by PCNA and it's a deduction from his normal profit margin on each car sold.

Like TSpyder I have done several BMW European Delivery (3 in total). The BMW system is much more 'customer' friendly. Euro delivery pricing - MSRP and Invoice - is lower than US BMW MSRP and Invoice on any given model. BMW doesn't charge back dealers a fee for ED. And if you negotiate like I do from invoice up plus small profit margin for dealer, BMW European Delivery pricing is best deal going for any German auto maker today!

Euro Delivery special pricing dates back from the Wirtschaftswunder ('Economic Miracle') policies of the post-war German government in the 1950's. The later gave German auto makers tax incentives to promote two things that were (in their eyes) equally important: a) sales of German automobiles, and b) tourism in West Germany. Porsche used to be the leader in this program for West Germany in the late fifties and sixties! The ED experiences created customer ties to the automaker and the country it produces it that transcend any other 'dealer pick-up' experience one could possibly have! And it is a proven method to bind an owner to that brand for 'life'.

PAG and PCNA have to make the current ED even more attractive to make it competitive with BMW and get more of us to use it! It will pay enormous dividends on the long run! If BMW can offer these kinds of discounts, Porsche should too - especially now that the VW ownership wants to increase Porsche market share in the US!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

PS I have also done two European Deliveries with Porsche. Both in the 1980's went there was still a nice discount on ED pricing and special allocations for ED cars which help you negotiate a better deal with your US dealer since it didn't effect his regular allotment! Enclosed photos of badges of earlier PCA Factory Treffens where often 50 new Porsches or more were delivered to US customers on a single day at the factory! Those were the good old days of Porsche's ED...

Attached Images   

Last edited by Z356; 06-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the details and congratulations on the deal. I also negotiate from the invoice up. I normally don't pay anything over invoice, but in this case I did.

ChuckJ

Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Z356
It all depends on how you negotiate a deal, Chuck. It is my understanding that PAG and PCNA have set it so that the dealer is charged an extra fee for European Delivery of the customer's car. If the customer is paying MSRP or near it, the dealer might swallow the charge and you may come to think of it as a no cost option. But if you negotiate a very 'tight' deal from invoice up, the dealer will more likely pass the ED charge on to you since he is being charged for it by PCNA and it's a deduction from his normal profit margin on each car sold.
The dealer fee for ED essentially pays for the 16 days of comprehensive ins Porsche provides while the customer takes his new car on a Euro vacation. In return, the dealer is allocated an extra car for normal domestic sale. In a high-demand market like LA, the profit from the sale of that extra car more than compensates for the ED fee paid by the dealer. That was my rationale during negotiation, and it worked to my advantage as my purchase price ended up being about 3% less than what LA dealers were demanding for the 991 several mos ago. All this was verified by the sales mngr who I later befriended. Now, in a slower market where cars remain unsold on the lot, this ED negotiating tactic would obviously not apply, and you could very well end up paying the dealer ED fee one way or another as you suggest.

Spyder

Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, after 3k+ km, I'll be dropping off the 991 back at the factory tomorrow. While I think of it, I'll add one more observation on the glass s/r: with the s/r closed and the shade fully retracted, the "moonroof" area above spans the entire s/r opening as opposed to only about 60-70% opening when the s/r (glass or steel) is retracted. That adds significantly to the natural light aspect of the interior. Unless you're not a s/r fan at all, IMO the glass roof is the way tp go.

Spyder

Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 AM
mojocowboy is infamous around these parts
Glad you like the s/r Sypder. Any other thoughts on the car?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Just dropped off the car, so now the long, painful wait begins.

This is my first P-car, so I'm not hampered by expectations based on prior incarnations of the 911. I moved away from BMW b/c they were simply getting too heavy, and I prefer naturally aspirated motors. Since I work on my cars--just had a lift installed in my garage--I've avoided Porsche in the past, but realistically, I can do everything on the 991 that I can do on any German car, eg, fluids, brakes, some electronics and filters.

I wanted a replacement for my 650 DD, and after 2k mi on the 991, I think I made a great choice. On a long hwy drive, or stuck in traffic, they are surprisingly similar, but I also drive canyon roads in the Santa Monica Mts every day. That's where the half-ton lighter 991 will shine. I got the PDK for a daily commute in traffic. It is a terrific box. And this from a guy who has never been w/o a MT. A 91 NSX remains in my garage as a weekend cyn carver and hobby car.

Spyder

Last edited by TSpyder; 07-04-2012 at 08:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Glass Sunroof Production Delay?