Drove 997.1 GT3 back to back with my 991 3.4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Drove 997.1 GT3 back to back with my 991 3.4

As some of you know from my previous posts I have been not entirely happy with my new 991 3.4. I have been toying with the idea of going back to a 997, perhaps either a GT3 or a GTS. I found a 997.1 GT3 with 3k miles on the clock and went to go drive it yesterday. My first impressions were the immediate recognition that the interior of the GT3 was far inferior to the supple luxurious cabin of the 991. It was nice however to hold a proper key in my hand again. The GT3 engine snarled to life and the whole cabin seemed to vibrate. Even at idle the car was very loud and business like. It took a few minutes to get used to the lower shifter and as I pulled out of the dealer lot the first thing I immediately noticed was the steering and what proper steering should feel like. After living with the 991 for three months I had almost forgotten how good the steering used to be on the 911. The GT3 seemed unhappy at lower revs and anything less than 4k rpms felt almost as if you were lugging the engine. However, one I nailed it I was shocked by violent acceleration. Comparing the GT3 to the 991 is like comparing riding a fast roller coaster with twists and violent turns to riding a subtle subway commuter train. The commuter train gets you to your destination more comfortably and without fuss but the roller coaster makes your heart race and gives you a feeling that cannot be duplicated by the commuter train. That basically sums up the difference in my opinion. I could have swapped my 991 for that car for even money but I chose to keep it since I actually prefer the more subtle and luxurious 991 for my daily commute, short though it may be. The GT3 would be an ideal 2nd car and weekend car but not a daily driver. I think I will explore the idea of a GTS which give you an ideal combination of GT3 thrills + daily livability. Getting back into my 991 after exiting the GT3 was yet another reminder that I will never be fully happy with the 991. I need to feel excited by my car and although I like the 991 and it turns alot of heads at the end of the day I need something more and that something I feel has been engineered out of the car for good. If anyone out there knows anyone who has a manual GTS and wants to swap please PM me.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I went to look at a 991 but the salesman also wanted me to look at a 997 Turbo that was in the showroom. I was afraid to drive it because I didn't want to like it. I didn't want to be disappointed in the 991. Since I have never driven any Porsche, I'm sure I'll be happy with the 991. It'sbetter this way.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
As some of you know from my previous posts I have been not entirely happy with my new 991 3.4. I have been toying with the idea of going back to a 997, perhaps either a GT3 or a GTS. I found a 997.1 GT3 with 3k miles on the clock and went to go drive it yesterday. My first impressions were the immediate recognition that the interior of the GT3 was far inferior to the supple luxurious cabin of the 991. It was nice however to hold a proper key in my hand again. The GT3 engine snarled to life and the whole cabin seemed to vibrate. Even at idle the car was very loud and business like. It took a few minutes to get used to the lower shifter and as I pulled out of the dealer lot the first thing I immediately noticed was the steering and what proper steering should feel like. After living with the 991 for three months I had almost forgotten how good the steering used to be on the 911. The GT3 seemed unhappy at lower revs and anything less than 4k rpms felt almost as if you were lugging the engine. However, one I nailed it I was shocked by violent acceleration. Comparing the GT3 to the 991 is like comparing riding a fast roller coaster with twists and violent turns to riding a subtle subway commuter train. The commuter train gets you to your destination more comfortably and without fuss but the roller coaster makes your heart race and gives you a feeling that cannot be duplicated by the commuter train. That basically sums up the difference in my opinion. I could have swapped my 991 for that car for even money but I chose to keep it since I actually prefer the more subtle and luxurious 991 for my daily commute, short though it may be. The GT3 would be an ideal 2nd car and weekend car but not a daily driver. I think I will explore the idea of a GTS which give you an ideal combination of GT3 thrills + daily livability. Getting back into my 991 after exiting the GT3 was yet another reminder that I will never be fully happy with the 991. I need to feel excited by my car and although I like the 991 and it turns alot of heads at the end of the day I need something more and that something I feel has been engineered out of the car for good. If anyone out there knows anyone who has a manual GTS and wants to swap please PM me.
Maybe you should wait until the GT version of the 991 comes out before you make any decisions. And you should check with you dealer to see if the steering software has be updated and you have the latest; on a straight road I feel the road better than I did in my 997.

ChuckJ

Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
Do you guys have power steering plus? It seems to me, with the cars I've driven, that the steering is muted at lower speeds with that option.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flyanddive
Do you guys have power steering plus? It seems to me, with the cars I've driven, that the steering is muted at lower speeds with that option.
I don't have the plus and I'm glad I don't having driven it in a demo car.

ChuckJ

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I do not have power steering plus either. The GT3 seeemed to respond instantly to my steering inputs while my 991 has just a very slight delay it seemed. The 991 steering felt muted while the GT3 was "alive" if that makes any sense.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 AM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
The 991 is more dynamically stable than the 997, that's the difference you're feeling. The response time is actually quicker with the electric steering. Drive a 991 with a smaller set of wheels and see if there is a difference for you.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
surathdp is infamous around these partssurathdp is infamous around these partssurathdp is infamous around these parts
I think you are practically comparing apples to oranges. GT3 is a stripped down race-ready 911 with an engine that redlines at over 8000 rpm. And the suspension setup and the exhaust... OMG! I bet it has track tires on too. It's not a fair comparison at all. GTS versus 991 is a better test. I have a 997.1 and a 991S on order. I am keeping both.

Take 991 to a DE and max it out. You might have a different opinion about it. I watched 991 go around Barber a weekend ago, my god that thing was fast. And the exhaust over- run when down shifting into the corner from the front straight was intoxicating. It was as fast as the GT3s in the advanced group. So don't give up just yet. Track it, it will come alive and you will have a whole new appreciation for the car.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Great write up. What you wrote basically summed up my hesitation to step into a 991.

What I have bolded especially rings true for me.

Originally Posted by ice350
I went to look at a 991 but the salesman also wanted me to look at a 997 Turbo that was in the showroom. I was afraid to drive it because I didn't want to like it. I didn't want to be disappointed in the 991. Since I have never driven any Porsche, I'm sure I'll be happy with the 991. It'sbetter this way.
So you are saying that ignorance is bliss?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of911Konigin has much to be proud of
Great description

Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
check with you dealer to see if the steering software has be updated and you have the latest; on a straight road I feel the road better than I did in my 997.
Is there such a thing as an update to the steering? I have seen questions about this and a PDK update, but never gotten clarity if either exists?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by surathdp
Take 991 to a DE and max it out. You might have a different opinion about it.
You nailed it.

First, you should compare apples to apples: 991S vs 997S. All other 911 versions (TT, GT3, etc.) have their specific niche and there will be a 991 version coming later. a 997TT and a 991S have completely different personalities and you would not buy them for the same reasons, so think about what you want from a car (Turbo vs. NA behavior, AWD or RWD, brute force or power build up, track or daily driving...) and then make your decision.

Second, it is true that the 991 is 'softer' and more composed. It does not mean that it is boring or disconnected, it means you can( or have to) push it faster and to get the same thrill. Those endless 991 vs 997 discussions are becoming a bit vain IMO.

Pick the car in which YOU have fun and enjoy it.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Tromero, I just test drove the 981 and felt a lot of the same things you felt when I compared it to my current 987.

Overall there's less of a visceral feel about it. It's a smoother ride. It feels less alive. The exhaust is a lot quieter. I've driven the sport exhaust, but this was the normal one. What's strange about it, is unless you're accelerating relatively hard the exhaust quiet. On my current Cayman there is a constant burble to the engine note a constant pleasing baritone note mixed with nice mechanical noises sprinkled in. This one is near silent unless you're accelerating. Sport exhaust is a little tiny bit louder, but the same thing holds true in that it really only makes noise when you're on the gas.

The engine itself is much quieter. You don't hear or feel the engine as much in the cabin as you use to. Forget the exhaust sound, I'm talking about the beautiful mechanical noise of the engine itself. It's missing. At stop lights, you almost can't feel if it's on or off. (And yes I had the auto start/stop disabled so it was on). Like the exhaust note, this is a HUGE part of the character of the Porsche and this concerns me a lot.

The leather surfaces felt cheaper. The ones you touch the most the steering wheel and shift lever don't have a thick leather feel to them. They feel like a very thin low quality leather. Almost a fake leather. It's strange. My current Cayman doesn't have the leather package or anything special, but the leather surfaces on my steering wheel and shift lever feel much richer.

Porsches always had a nice balance of rough feel and polish. This feels too polished. Feels more like a 135is and less like a Porsche.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
While this does concern me slightly as I think many people will get bored with the techno version of the 911, I think it's not a fair comparison as the 997 GT3 had a hard time duplicating the exhilaration of the 996 GT3 let alone a 997 3.4.

That being said, the stage is set for gap between the base 991 and the 991 GT3 to be the smallest most meaningless ever. This is a huge gamble to Porsche, and lap times won't fill the void. 930man ditched his and was happy to see it go after only a few months. The 991 may not have staying power for those looking for meaningful drives.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
SUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura aboutSUB-ZERO has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Well, comparing a standard 991 to a 997 GT3 is really apples to oranges. My 997tt feels like a Caddy compared to a GT3. The ride on a GT3 is far rougher than a 997tt with Sport Mode turned on. I'm sure the suspension on a 991 is softer than both a 997 Turbo and Gt3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove 997.1 GT3 back to back with my 991 3.4