Not sure about sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I had no intention of getting the sport chrono and at the last minute I added it after I asked the dealer if I should and he said he never orders a car without it.

Now that I have my car for almost 3 months I cannot tell you how important I think this option is and i have a manual transmission.

It isn't the dial on the dash but is because of the dynamic engine mounts ... Wow does it make a difference from regular to sport to sport plus. The feel of the car changes and it brings the engine to a more rigid mode which takes the car from really comfortable to really in touch with the road.

I will also tell you if I switch modes from one to the other on a small drive it seems like a small minor change, it takes you to own the car and drive in sport plus mode and then 20 minutes later going to regular mode ... That is when you feel a big difference ... Sorry I am not trying to spend your Money but now after owning a 911 without it and now having it I will always order it on my future porsches

People might think I'm nuts but I'd rather have a non s with sport chrono than a s without it ...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Not nuts; just a man who has a feel for his car.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Pvp2 is infamous around these parts
Going with sc

Appreciate all the input. I'm adding sc if for no other reason than that I'd hate to leave it off and later find out I wanted it. I also struggled with paddle shift or multifunction steering wheel to go with PDK. Went with multifunction for a variety of reasons.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
Smart move-you will not regret the decision.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
parkerfe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pvp2
Appreciate all the input. I'm adding sc if for no other reason than that I'd hate to leave it off and later find out I wanted it. I also struggled with paddle shift or multifunction steering wheel to go with PDK. Went with multifunction for a variety of reasons.
Get the 7MT. If you later decide that you want an auto car too, buy a used Kia with an auto. Just do not buy a Porsche 911 with an auto gearbox! If you do, you will regret it.

Last edited by parkerfe; 07-05-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by parkerfe
Get the 7MT. If you later decide that you want an auto car too, buy a used Kia with an auto. Just do not buy a Porsche 911 with an auto gearbox! If you do, you will regret it.

here we go again.

Porsche provides more options than I have seen for any other vehicle for what appears to be a really good reason: this car appeals to folks who are hard core track and race participants to those who mostly polish the fenders and leave it in the garage between brief trips outside.

The car also has a Jekyll and Hyde personality in that it can provide a luxury, comfort ride for the occupants or a screaming banshee that outruns its paint job.

I'm getting tired of reading from racing poseurs denigrating choices made by others. This is a community of those who appreciate, own or drive or just merely are interested in a Porsche automobile.

It has been said "that's why they make chocolate and vanilla"....well, that's why they make PDK, 7M, PCCB, Screaming Yellow paint, Bose Systems, Sunroofs, 20 in wheels, limited slip vector systems, PASM...it's all about personal choice.

If you're not laying out the $100,000 + for someone's car, keep it to your self.

Just my 5 cents.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rnl
here we go again.

Porsche provides more options than I have seen for any other vehicle for what appears to be a really good reason: this car appeals to folks who are hard core track and race participants to those who mostly polish the fenders and leave it in the garage between brief trips outside.

The car also has a Jekyll and Hyde personality in that it can provide a luxury, comfort ride for the occupants or a screaming banshee that outruns its paint job.

I'm getting tired of reading from racing poseurs denigrating choices made by others. This is a community of those who appreciate, own or drive or just merely are interested in a Porsche automobile.

It has been said "that's why they make chocolate and vanilla"....well, that's why they make PDK, 7M, PCCB, Screaming Yellow paint, Bose Systems, Sunroofs, 20 in wheels, limited slip vector systems, PASM...it's all about personal choice.

If you're not laying out the $100,000 + for someone's car, keep it to your self.

Just my 5 cents.
I agree, however it is ok to express ones opinions as long as the everyone realizes that we all have them.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sloopy
I agree, however it is ok to express ones opinions as long as the everyone realizes that we all have them.
Oh, I agree. However, it's not the opinion, it's the tone of the opinions to which I am objecting.

There are knowledgeable and experienced folks on this site and I have solicited and appreciated their opinions.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pvp2
I tried to keep the cost down also and thought about the SC for a long time before I added it. I HAVE NO REGRETS- IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I ended up not getting the paddles and now that I am used to the steering wheel transmission switches I like them very much and use them all the time. You can get them after you have the car, but it is much more costly so better that you come to a comfortable decision before the car gets locked in.

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Clearly we all come to the configuration issue from different perspectives. As for me, I'm primarily interested is the essential goodness of Porsche engineering and aesthetics and not the cutting edge technologies which cut a few seconds off the Nurburgring time. Since I don't go to the track, this is a semi-DD which will share driving time with a more pedestrian around town car. I don't anticipate a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic since I don't commute, nor do I see long road trips due to the lack of a spare tire. So, in my case the two main considerations are (1) S versus base; and, (2) PDK versus manual. In that regard, the base likely provides plenty of power, notwithstanding some negative comments about low end torque, since I don't foresee using the extra power or braking ability, and I'm leaning toward the MT. I wish there were a real hybrid transmission which offered a third pedal manual with a automatic mode for those days when I don't feel like shifting or when the wife is in the car, but having owned a DCT M3, for me there really is no substitute for the enjoyment of rowing the gears, although I greatly admire the PDK technology. As for the menu of options, price isn't an issue to me. It's more like going to a steakhouse and not ordering the 16 ounce strip when you know 12 ounces will fill you to the gills.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Dichasen,
Nicely put. A third consideration (maybe): a cab or coupe. :-)

Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dlchasen
Clearly we all come to the configuration issue from different perspectives. As for me, I'm primarily interested is the essential goodness of Porsche engineering and aesthetics and not the cutting edge technologies which cut a few seconds off the Nurburgring time. Since I don't go to the track, this is a semi-DD which will share driving time with a more pedestrian around town car. I don't anticipate a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic since I don't commute, nor do I see long road trips due to the lack of a spare tire. So, in my case the two main considerations are (1) S versus base; and, (2) PDK versus manual. In that regard, the base likely provides plenty of power, notwithstanding some negative comments about low end torque, since I don't foresee using the extra power or braking ability, and I'm leaning toward the MT. I wish there were a real hybrid transmission which offered a third pedal manual with a automatic mode for those days when I don't feel like shifting or when the wife is in the car, but having owned a DCT M3, for me there really is no substitute for the enjoyment of rowing the gears, although I greatly admire the PDK technology. As for the menu of options, price isn't an issue to me. It's more like going to a steakhouse and not ordering the 16 ounce strip when you know 12 ounces will fill you to the gills.
My base with PDK and SC is so smooth and quiet at idle sometimes I'm not sure it's running. I credit that to the engine mounts that come with SC. That may not be correct (it could be the new injectors by themselves), but my 2009 997S was not smooth at idle to the point of being annoying.

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Originally Posted by nicoff
Dichasen,
Nicely put. A third consideration (maybe): a cab or coupe. :-)
True.

ChuckJ,

Just curious, do you track your car?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by rnl
here we go again.

Just my 5 cents.
I agree 100%. That's why I recommend that if you want a 911 primarily for a DD, like me, the 7 speed MT is the way to go. If you are a hard-core track junkie, the PDK is the best option.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by dlchasen
I agree with you too. THe PDK is the best option for an avid track junky only. For me to use as a DD and maybe 1-2 track events a year, I went with the 7 speed MT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Not sure about sport Chrono