Don't get the 991 in BLACK!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
Here are some more shots taken using a polarizing filter which, depending on the setting changes the impact of the sun's reflection off the car.
I have never owned a 997 so I can't comment on the difference between S-PASM and regular PASM. Suffice to say though that I find the car very smooth to drive - meaning not overly harsh. Also, the lowered suspension (-10mm more than PASM) is also a difference in the stance of the car.

Attached Images      
Old 07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
poot991 is infamous around these parts
^ just shows what an epic fail this thread is! Looks awesome, thanks for posting these pics - and with the exception of trim strips and beige interior mine is going to look v similar!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM
lv2spd is infamous around these parts
are those upgraded premium wheels from dealer or options 295/305. Looks nice.....

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
JB-991 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by braindoc1
I agree basalt black metallic is an amazing color for this car. Vegas your car looks awesome. I ordered black w beige and got the sport pipes.... The contrast is amazing and really works well. The trick that I've learned with my last three black metallic cars is that, yes, they are much more work but cleaning with water only, no car wash substance of any kind, and hand washing keeps the shine longer and with less swirls. My last car I did the invisiline protection on front but only covered a part of the hood. I was watching the technician recently placing it on a f430 and was covering the entire hood and it looked awesome. That is my plan for when my 991s arrives.
Cleaning with water only? Never heard of doing that. Anyone else?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JB-991
Cleaning with water only? Never heard of doing that. Anyone else?
Agreed. Soap acts as a lubricant and cleaning agent to REDUCE drag while wiping with a mitt. I've never heard of just cleaning with water.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
The first Person I heard recommend water only was the father of a good friend of mine in high school. He was rebuilding a Model A. He said never wash with any detergent of any kind. Now I recognize that in the last 30 yrs the products have gotten better and are less toxic to the clear coat, but my last car was a black dinan 335is and I only used water with microfiber towels/mitts and it held its shine about 3 times longer than my previous X5 and S5 that I used the first place finish product provided me by the dealer. It makes a difference and I never had a problem getting the car clean. Hot water only, try it.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Learn something new every day....

Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Water only doesnt make much sense to me....I dont know a single high end detailer that doesnt use soap....and in addition to soap they use a pre-wash foam.

Seems like without a pre-wash and soap your rubbing small dust and dirt particles into the paint......I'm no professional detailer so I could be completely wrong but again, not a single professional detailer uses water only (that I'm aware of)......curious to hear what their opinion would be.

Last edited by BrandonH; 07-26-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
thought i would post another ugly black 991 picture:

Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Ugh, fugly.....

Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Yes you are right, it is so ugly you have no choice but to give it to me so I can hide it in my Garage where I have kept a secure place so nobody can see it and damage their eyes. PM me for the address and delivery instructions.

Rainier

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
thought i would post another ugly black 991 picture:

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Agreed. Soap acts as a lubricant and cleaning agent to REDUCE drag while wiping with a mitt. I've never heard of just cleaning with water.
Sorry to stay off topic but while we're on the subject, what is your opinion about cleaning the car once a week using only detailing spray and microcloths (then maybe finishing with a spray on wax) and washing with water and soap only every couple months?

This process is much quicker and more convenient for than washing and the car looks spotless and glossy when done. I figure it's also taking off less of the wax and polish from the detailing, which I plan to get done 2-3x a year.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i try to power wash it once a week and finnish with a wax rinse & then mineral free.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Any more pics of basalt black... some different angles?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 AM
97c2s993 is infamous around these parts
Basalt Black yesterday under cloudy skies at PCA DE event at Lime Rock Park - got washed out halfway into 2nd session (in case anyone wonders the number comes from the last 3 digits of the VIN)...also added two other pics with other angles...

Attached Images      

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Don't get the 991 in BLACK!