Going to Barber on Aug 4th or 5th?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by caveatesq
I am headed down to Birmingham tomorrow afternoon for the 2-day Porsche Driving School Program on Wednesday and Thursday. Can't wait.
How was it?

I'm there tomorrow and am quite excited.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by Haku
How was it?

I'm there tomorrow and am quite excited.
Sorry - I just got back yesterday and had to catch up at work. The program was absolutely fantastic. Extremely organized and well run. In addition to being incredible drivers, the instructors all possess great teaching abilities. The roster is like a who's who of current and former professionals and they are a great, friendly bunch. Barber is also a beautiful facility and the track is pretty challenging with lots of elevation changes and turns but limited high speed straights.

Half of the two day program is spent on the track in various Porsche models - 991S (pdk and manuals), PDK Boxster S and Panamera GTS. On the second day, I drove the manual 991 exclusively on the track. Other activities includes wet skid pad control, various braking exercises, Boxster S autocross, heel toe downshifting (this was a bit intimidating for me as my size 13 Nikes didn't work so well in a Cayman and the legendary Hurley Haywood was riding in the passenger seat with me), some launch control runs in the 911 Turbo and a little off roading in the the Cayenne. All in all, it was a great time and I feel much more confident behind the wheel of my 991. I am looking at signing up for the Masters program.

Attached Images      
Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
How fun! I have done it twice (once with my brother, and then again with my brother and dad) and also had a chance to learn from Hurley. Great guy, and great program. Tell me a bit about the Panamera GTS - which driving exercises did you use this car for?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by JCBH
How fun! I have done it twice (once with my brother, and then again with my brother and dad) and also had a chance to learn from Hurley. Great guy, and great program. Tell me a bit about the Panamera GTS - which driving exercises did you use this car for?
The Panamera GTS is a recent addition to the school - I think that they arrived only a few weeks ago. We drove the Panamera on the track on the first day of the program. It was not used for any of the other drills and on day two, track work was conducted exclusively in the sports cars.

The School's Panamera GTS' are all fully loaded with PDCC and ceramic composite brakes. I have say that it is the most impressive sedan that I have ever driven and was amazing on the track. Several of the instructors noted that its their favorite car in the current line up.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
What an blast!

I just got back home after the one day PDS experience and my oh my... it was one day that I will savour for a long time. I loved it!

I've posted a new thread here with some pics:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3610503

Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by caveatesq
Sorry - I just got back yesterday and had to catch up at work. The program was absolutely fantastic. Extremely organized and well run. In addition to being incredible drivers, the instructors all possess great teaching abilities. The roster is like a who's who of current and former professionals and they are a great, friendly bunch. Barber is also a beautiful facility and the track is pretty challenging with lots of elevation changes and turns but limited high speed straights.

Thank you for your reply and pics. I couldn't reply earlier due to a lack of internet service at the hotel. Your post and pods got me fired up and boy I was not disappointed!

It really is the best thing one can do in order to appreciate a Porsche. I loved the day.

Thank you.