G-Force data. The competition is on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 AM
Banned
johnmiller is infamous around these parts
your results are satisfactory.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Assuming they do this 8 hours a day with no breaks they would manage 96 launches per day (every 5 minutes right ?).
So, if they do that every day they would need a tad over 166 days, make it 1/2 a year to reach that number.
Assuming each launch consumes 500 meters total distance including ready for the next one (and that is optimistic) we would be traveling 8000Km or somewhat under 6000 miles, at least half of that (say 3000 miles) under effectively a fully stressed engine. No mechanical work on the engine or gearbox ?

Hmm, somehow I do not quite want to believe that - but it's a nice thought anyway...

Rainier

Originally Posted by hawc
I was at the Porsche World Roadshow where they had a 997.2 Turbo S to demonstrate launch control. They launched it about every 5 minutes all day long.

One of the instructors said that car has been launched 16,000 times. Sixteen-thousand times!!! And has not needed any maintanence.

This is not your M3 or GT-R sensitive dual clutch. This is a Porsche.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If it's true, I'm impressed; although I think most motorcycles use a wet clutch and I don't hear much about them having maintenance issues.

ChuckJ

Old 08-10-2012, 04:34 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Getting back to the topic....

Here's one for the 3.4 manual crowd! - Went to Limerack yesterday, 93 ambient - 111 track temp. Bone stock on the pirellis (not a good as the pilot super sports)

All the posts seem to be PDK S cars so far.

I believe the S has a wider front track than the base car.

And, PDCC cars will post higher Gs at lower corner speeds - fact

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
drspeed:
Great Job!!!!

ChuckJ

Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Mine is below from 2 day track at event at NJMP (was a guest at Members days). Ran Thunderbolt yesterday and Lightning today. All stock setup as per my signature, OEM Pirellis (surprisingly good tire but still can't wait to get some MPSS on this baby).

I continue to be amazed by the capabilities of the 991S as a track vehicle. This time around, since I took up the speed from my first track event with the car, what stuck out most was the safety net the car puts around you. I overcooked it a few times here and there but as long as you keep the car on the track and don't do anything crazy abrupt, the electronics save the day and you just use that tremendous rear traction to get the speed back up. Also, in the chicane (and in the S-turns on Lightning) the PDCC really shined through.

Yes Buckwheat, since I know you will ask, we DID run the chicane (for a change) at T-bolt.

I took some track video I will post in the coming days.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flyanddive
I'd like to know at what side G load, under normal pavement conditions, that the car spins out at.
A loaded question. The car could potentially pull a lot more if the corner was banked. A lot less of it was off camber. And when traction is exceed, it may not spin out but just slide off into the weeds.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
PCA DE at Road America with stock tires.

What this tells me is the car needs more POWER

(sorry just realized the picture is turned, damn it)

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Kcarrigan is infamous around these parts
An updated set of max values after my track day at Laguna Seca.

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Kcarrigan, a cursory look indicates you beat Randy Pobst (the Motor Trend race car driver in the article that picked Porsche as the best driver's car) at the same course. Do you know your lap time?

ChuckJ
PS I know it's not statistically significant, but still fun.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Kcarrigan is infamous around these parts
I might have matched his braking or cornering for a moment in a single turn, but he's stringing those forces together consistently. He's outpacing me by 4 or 5 seconds a lap. Take off a couple for the power differential up the hill, and he's still showing that my driving is quite amateur!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Kcarrigan
I might have matched his braking or cornering for a moment in a single turn, but he's stringing those forces together consistently. He's outpacing me by 4 or 5 seconds a lap. Take off a couple for the power differential up the hill, and he's still showing that my driving is quite amateur!
Still pretty good!!

ChuckJ

Old 08-25-2012, 05:28 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
After last Sunday @ Barber.
Nowhere near Kcarrigan though!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7860025404/

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
WOW, 16,000 times! That is hard to believe, but very nice to hear!!!! I never did it in my 2009S as I can't figure out where to do it without drawing great ire from the authorities. In the mean time, I do use the mini-launch control that brings the RPM up to 3000 at the start.

ChuckJ
Tell me more about the mini-launch control, Chuck! Do you do this just to get the revs up for a snappier start? Does the launch-control light go on, briefly?

I wonder if the computer records this as a launch, as my understanding is every launch is recorded in the car's digital records.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by ArthurH
Tell me more about the mini-launch control, Chuck! Do you do this just to get the revs up for a snappier start? Does the launch-control light go on, briefly?

I wonder if the computer records this as a launch, as my understanding is every launch is recorded in the car's digital records.
I haven't fully explored this yet as I'm still under 2000 miles and I'm keeping it below 4000. I just use a quick 1/4 peddle and it instantly moves up to 3000, then grabs and comes on strong because it's up on the torque curve. At first I thought it maybe I was spinning a wheel, but I can't see any evidence of that. Interestingly if I just hold the brake and apply power, it does not do this; it stays in the 1200-1600 RPM range. In my 2009S PDK if I just tromped on it, it would not slip and starve itself before coming on a couple hundred milliseconds later. This happened in a 2010 C2 that I drove also. I'll be interested to see if this technique works when one just tromps on it.

It may have something to do with the 3.4 to compensate for it's reduced torque at low RPM. Or it may be a compensating technique if one doesn't have a limited slip differential. Do you have a 3.4 or 3.8, Arthur? I'll be interested to hear if this works for you.

ChuckJ
PS Don't know if it's recorded and yes, it is much more exhilarating. Next time I do it I'll check to see if any lights come on, but I haven't noticed any yet.

Last edited by ChuckJ; 08-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G-Force data. The competition is on.