Porsche detailing

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Porsche detailing

As a new member of the Porsche family, I would like to poll the audience on everyone's detailing biases. I have previously used products given to me by the first place finish company that came with my car on purchase from BMW and Audi. I have been recommended Zainos for the exterior and both lexol and water only for the leather. Thoughts?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM
JPSJR is infamous around these parts
I'm a Zymol Vintage guy, I have tried the Nano type waxes and I'm not a big fan of it. I use the Zymol Vintage and after I rinse car I use Griots Garage Speed Shine to wipe down. I wax it every two months, I never use soap, I just rinse with h2o and use wheel cleaner for the wheels. I'm sure there's 100 million ways people do this process, but this has worked for me for the last 25-30 years. I started using the Vintage for the last 10-12 years, works and looks beautiful!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I have been using a portable deionizer. The water at my house is so hard it can break dishes. I use two buckets: wash with soap and a rinse bucket. I fill both buckets with softened water and wash down the car. I rinse with softened water and dry using an air filtered high power blower. I use wash rags once only and then wash a bunch in the washing machine when they accumulate.

Wax using p21s or Fuzion. Use p21s or Fuzion soap sparingly.

The wheels are cleaned using brushes and p21s when needed and are armor all coated. Usually, there is little brake dust on the wheels...this was not so when the car had less than 2000 miles...seems to have either diminished or...heaven forbid...I'm out of brake linings and am ripping up the rotors.....

My wife insists that I have developed a porsche washing fettish. I merely reply that one always washes a baby before it's put to bed.

Last edited by rnl; 08-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by rnl
I have been using a portable deionizer. The water at my house is so hard it can break dishes. I use two buckets: wash with soap and a rinse bucket. I fill both buckets with softened water and wash down the car. I rinse with softened water and dry using an air filtered high power blower. I use wash rags once only and then wash a bunch in the washing machine when they accumulate.
What deionizer are you using? How well does it work? I have well water and I need to be really quick to avoid terrible water spotting.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by caveatesq
What deionizer are you using? How well does it work? I have well water and I need to be really quick to avoid terrible water spotting.
http://www.portablewaterdi.com/deionizers.php

Mixed bed deionizer. I too have well water, we have a public well. the water tastes great but is a problem for washing clothes and cars.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
These sites have some great information and products.

One thing I started doing recently is using a leaf blower to dry off the car....works great if you have a good coat of wax on the car.

How to Properly wash and dry a car:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Default.asp

http://www.autogeek.net/

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rnl

Wax using p21s or Fuzion. Use p21s or Fuzion soap sparingly.

The wheels are cleaned using brushes and p21s when needed and are armor all coated. Usually, there is little brake dust on the wheels...this was not so when the car had less than 2000 miles...seems to have either diminished or...heaven forbid...I'm out of brake linings and am ripping up the rotors.....

My wife insists that I have developed a porsche washing fettish. I merely reply that one always washes a baby before it's put to bed.
Half the fun owning these cars is taking care of them. I do the same its very therapeutic!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Hence the title of this thread I thought this would be a suitable place for this product....I have not tried it yet, but it looks pretty amazing....its getting a lot of attention and rave review from people who have used it.

Its called 22ple....by Esoteric Detail

After years of Research & Development to create one of the most innovative protective coating products in the detailing industry, we are happy to announce that the time has finally arrived, and 22ple Glass Coatings are now officially available here in the United States.

Offering just the right combination of brilliant gloss and durability, 22ple is available in 3 different formulas for specific application areas of the car: One for paint, one for plastic trim, and a high-temp formula for metal and rims.

The high silica-content glass coatings are applied in a thin layer as a liquid, and once cured, 22ple literally leaves a hardened glass barrier between the paint (or other protected areas) and the harmful elements. So not only does this glass barrier provide a brilliant gloss and shine, it offers a level of protection to your car that can’t be equaled by any wax or sealant. While most carnauba waxes last only a month or two, and sealants upwards of 4-6 months, you can expect 18-24 months durability with 22ple Glass Coating!

http://esotericdetail.com/22ple-glas...c-auto-detail/

Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Skinzy, I'm with you. . . . I love hanging out in my garage, with the stereo on, washing and detailing my baby. For me it is absolutely, Therapeutic!!

I use a demonized water system (CRSpotless - Costco.com has the best deal on it), a power washer, a foam cannon (coats the vehicle in car wash soap suds), 2 buckets (wash and rinse with grit guards in the bottom of each), dedicated microfiber wash mits and towels, and a leaf blower.

I am pretty **** when it comes to washing my vehicles. I've learned to embrace my OCD!! Heres My process (in shade):

1) Coat the wheels and wheel wells with diluted simple green (cheaper than wheel cleaner and works the same - Gallon jugs at Costco).
2) Rnse wheels with power washer
3) Rinse the car (top down)
4) Coat the car in car wash soap with foam cannon (completely white with suds)
5) Let sit for couple minutes (don't allow to dry) and rinse with power washer

I do all of the above to remove as much dust/dirt as possible before rubbing a microfiber wash mit over the paint. This process helps guard against getting micro scratches in your paint (swirl marks).

6) Wash vehicle from top down using microfiber wash mit. Rinse mit out often in rinse bucket and dip in soapy wash bucket to keep mit in fresh supply of soap. Do all paint work.
7) Go over wheels with soft brush or cheap Costco microfiber rag dipped in soapy water
8) Take wheel rag and wash wheel wells (I throw this rag away when done).
9) rinse vehicle with power washer (May need to do this more often to keep soap from drying on your paint).
10) Completely rinse with deionized water. Use hose without nozzle to sheet water as you rinse. The water drains off better leaving less to dry.
11) Use leaf blower to blow off as much water as possible. Be thorough with wheels, wheel wells and cracks.
12) Dry with high quality microfiber towel. I spray Meguiars Quick Detailer spray as I dry (same as Griot's Speed Shine)
13) Make sure to dry all jams, gas door, hood, engine compartment, etc.
14) Clean windows with Costco window cleaner (safe for tint) and a special microfiber towel for windows (doesn't leave lint)
15) I use Armorall on tires (only tires) and dry it off after applied (I like a satin look more than a greasy look)
16) I use a damp microfiber on the inside and I like Lexol leather products on seats only, and very rarely

I also recommend Weathertech Floorliners. I just ordered them for my 991, which I won't see for another 6 weeks. For a rubber mat, they are of the utmost quality and the custom fit is 2nd to none. I purchase them for all of my vehicles. Everytime I go to sell a vehicle, the carpet still looks brand new.

For wax, lately I have been using Autoglym HD Carnuba. I love the way it beads, which makes it easy to remove water with a leaf blower. If I need to polish I have a set Griot's Garage polishes. I also have Pinnacle Clay Bars from Autogeek.net.

I will definitely be trying the wax products mentioned above.

Hope this helps more than it makes people think I am Crazy, like my wife.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dhill911

I use a demonized water system (CRSpotless - Costco.com has the best deal on it), a power washer....
+1. Been using this Costco unit for years...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11201522

Refills aren't cheap, but since they're from Costco online, price is as low as possible. Washed our three cars this morning while awaiting our ED 991 which is scheduled to arrive in San Diego port tomorrow

Spyder

Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
I like the idea of using a leaf blower to blow dry the car. It makes me nervous for some reason? Are there anythings I should know about before trying? I know car auto washes use air so it makes sense. What about the clear bra. I hear that high pressure should not be used on them? Thanks in advance. Great description DHILL911!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
I have clear bra on all my vehicles. As long as I don't get too close to an edge, power washing is never a problem.

As long as you don't use your leaf blower as a vacuum to suck up leaves, you should be fine. Mine has this option, but I never use it because I don't want dirt and debree inside that could eventually blow out. I use a pretty strong gas powered blower.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by skinzy
I like the idea of using a leaf blower to blow dry the car. It makes me nervous for some reason? Are there anythings I should know about before trying? I know car auto washes use air so it makes sense. What about the clear bra. I hear that high pressure should not be used on them? Thanks in advance. Great description DHILL911!
Use a stihl backpack blower on mine. Sort of like driving at 200 mph standing still

Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
A chamois doesn't dry it enough?

ChuckJ

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
A chamois doesn't dry it enough?

ChuckJ
Mine certainly does. However, it is my understanding that the fewer times the car is wiped there may be fewer scratches and swirls. I may be wrong. Anyone know for certain?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porsche detailing