Where to buy Ducktail for 2013 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sebljo is infamous around these parts
Where to buy Ducktail for 2013 991?

Hello all. Does anyone know where I could buy an aftermarket Ducktail for a 2013 991 which I have on order? Would like to get it in Guards Red. Is install a big headache? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
If you're talking about the Porsche 'ducktail' that's part of the $5,000 Sport Design Package then Porsche doesn't want you to have it without the front chin spoiler as well. They say they don't offer it as an individual add-on because it will aerodynamically destabilize the car at speed. Not sure if you can find somewhere to install just the ducktail.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I would order it from Porsche... I have Aero Cup that has ducktail + wing + the front spoiler on order....

Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Try Suncoast, they usually can get anything!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
We can get them: 991 Aerokit Options

So far we can't get the spoiler by itself, and I don't beleive Porsche recommends installing the wing only. Might cause unusual handling at higher speeds.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
They say they don't offer it as an individual add-on because it will aerodynamically destabilize the car at speed. Not sure if you can find somewhere to install just the ducktail.
I'd like to call BS on this (not on what hawk reports but on Porsche's statement ). I'd really like to see it substantiated by some numbers about lbs of lift or downforce at the front/back of the car with the ducktail vs. the regular spoiler. I am running a Speedart spoiler with the standard apron and have noticed any difference in stability even at -very high- speed. I would certainly concur with Porsche's statement in the case of big GT3RS/cup car spoilers or wings, but arguing about the simple ducktail seems a lot more to be a stance of their marketing department to sell the full kit...

Just my personal opinion

Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I'd like to call BS on this (not on what hawk reports but on Porsche's statement ). I'd really like to see it substantiated by some numbers about lbs of lift or downforce at the front/back of the car with the ducktail vs. the regular spoiler. I am running a Speedart spoiler with the standard apron and have noticed any difference in stability even at -very high- speed. I would certainly concur with Porsche's statement in the case of big GT3RS/cup car spoilers or wings, but arguing about the simple ducktail seems a lot more to be a stance of their marketing department to sell the full kit...

Just my personal opinion
My take is this: they create a new front for a new rear spoiler. They must have tested the combinations in wind tunnels and on tracks when product developing. Maybe a 150 mph all is ok, but what would happen closer to 185? I bet Porsche didn't like something in the metrics and made the front the way it is. That duckbill will dramatically alter airflow in the down position.

I'd recommend the full package for looks and dynamic balance, if you allow me to spend your money.

Last edited by PT Doc; 08-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PT Doc
That duckbill will dramatically alter airflow in the down position. What happens in the up position would be even more dramatic.
The duckbill doesn't change positions. It's just there.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawc
The duckbill doesn't change positions. It's just there.
I thought it might not but speculated, wrongly. Nevertheless, the duckbill has a drastically different shape than other spoilers and will move air differently.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light

Just my personal opinion
I can't remember where I read it, however in Porsche material they did do wind tunnel tests and it is adds substantially more than regular spoiler at 80 mph. Since most aero devises don't work until this speed anyway this seems like a pretty good addition. Balance would be important, however front does not *** as much as the back so as speed increases there should be more of a tendency to under steer.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !

Just my personal opinion
The old guy remembers that's what they said back in the days with the original duck tail. I was in Germany at the time and a friend of mine had to replace his front bumper to put on the duck tail. I'm not sure if that one or the new one had any empirical testing (but I certainly hope so).

ChuckJ

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute

Just installed the sport design wing. Dig it?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Porsche says you can't put the Sports Design rear wing on without the front. Makes it aerodynamically unstable.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Basic Sponsor
Installed as requested. Not a problem for this customer though, she won't be at the track or driving at autobahn speeds. More of a country club cruiser, she's the sweetest lady. She loves it.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Caio is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Installed as requested. Not a problem for this customer though, she won't be at the track or driving at autobahn speeds. More of a country club cruiser, she's the sweetest lady. She loves it.
So did you install the ducktail only?

How much that would cost on racing yellow? Cab, same as the picture!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where to buy Ducktail for 2013 991?