New car paint problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
New car paint problem

Guys, please I need some advice here.
I just noticed that my Platinum Silver 991 has a 4" round dark stain on the rear fender, looks like it is under the clear coat, very noticeable under certain angles.
I didnt notice this before delivery since I was super excited and the car looked just perfect under the showroom floor lights.

Seems like a bad paint job from factory (maybe some kind of correction made before shipping the car)
I am sooo pissed, called the dealer and they told me to bring them the car to paint the entire area and correct the problem, I said What??!! Painting my new just delivered 20 miles in the ODO, $160K car!!! No way!!!, I am considering taking the car back to them and get my money back whatever it takes. If it was a Toyota I couldnt care less, but I just love this car and I want it to be perfect.
What would you do? I am being too **** about this?

Attached Images  

Last edited by galion; 09-03-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:23 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
If they have a high quality body shop, and will offer a written warranty... I may let them paint it.

Maybe look at some of the recent work that they have done, and be the judge yourself of the quality that they are able to produce, or not produce.

If you think you can learn to live with the imperfection, then I would leave it alone.

I can feel your pain, I have had a similar issue.

Mike

Old 09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Oh boy that's no fun at all!
I'd probably get them to fix it and negotiate an extended warranty or something along those lines (for your troubles).
If they don't want to play ball I might return the car...factory paint is VERY different quality than a local paint shop.
It could be a lot worse (like a fellow 6speeder who's transmission failed on his way home from pickup!!) but you're right for a 160K car this is unacceptable.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Ferrari's are known to have bad paint jobs from the factory, new cars often often arrive with swirls in the paint job. I didn't think porsche had these problems.

I would get it repainted by the dealer if it is bothering you, if they are an authorized dealer they will get it right and you will never even be able to tell.

BTW, $160k is a lot of money for this car.

Last edited by aamersa; 09-03-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:55 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, Ive always heard that silvers were a pain to match, I have painted a few doors and fenders on other cars and you can always tell that there is a slight difference between the paints. No problem with dark colors though. I need to calm down and solve this by tomorrow.

Aamersa, Foreign luxury cars are way overpriced, stupid taxes! only cars assambled in local factories have certain tax benefits.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
If it can't be buffed out (Hopefully. . . Fingers Crossed), I would do everything in my power to get a different car with a clean factory paint job. I don't think it can ever be the same painting just the quarter panel. At $160K there is no excuse. This is my fear, especially as my car is on a boat right now during hurricane season. If the dealer is not responsive, which they should be, I would consider consulting with an attorney on your rights. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
I would get it fixed and negotiate some extra benefits that make up for the emotional distress. I had an Aston with a similar problem and they got me an extended warranty and free track day at their driving school in England.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I'm really sorry to hear that Galion!! In my mind the problem is in their definition of a car that is qualified for certification. There are specific rules for that in the amount of a body section that can be painted. I think I remember that two panels can't be repainted and still certify the car. The size of the spot determines if the panel counts as being repainted. And the problem comes in if you get a scratch on another panel and this panel is already disqualified. I looked it up one time, but I can't remember where I found it. But I think it's worth knowing the rules before talking to the dealer and Porsche North America.

ChuckJ

Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Have them repaint it and get concessions.

A *good* paint shop will be able to fade/blend it in so that you won't even know it. Ten or 20 years ago it was impossible to do this, now they have all types of computer gadgets to get it right. My previous Cayman S was Atlas Grey (very dark blue/grey metallic) and got a rear paint rash due to a parking lot swipe. Just a portion of the rear bumper was repainted, but I couldn't even tell the difference in any kind of light with a magnifying glass. It can be done. Get the guy in the paint shop that is passionate about his work,....there is usually the "one" in every shop, make him do it!

Just as an aside, every one of my 3 new Porsches have arrived with some sort of small factory paint/body problem. In fact if I could pick only one thing for Porsche to improve upon, it would be paint for sure.

Good luck with it and report back.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dhill911
If it can't be buffed out (Hopefully. . . Fingers Crossed), I would do everything in my power to get a different car with a clean factory paint job. I don't think it can ever be the same painting just the quarter panel. At $160K there is no excuse. This is my fear, especially as my car is on a boat right now during hurricane season. If the dealer is not responsive, which they should be, I would consider consulting with an attorney on your rights. Best of luck. Keep us posted.
I agree, problem may be a great paint job such that you can't tell, but when you sell it, the buyer may Leary of the history.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Have them repaint it and get concessions.

A *good* paint shop will be able to fade/blend it in so that you won't even know it. Ten or 20 years ago it was impossible to do this, now they have all types of computer gadgets to get it right. My previous Cayman S was Atlas Grey (very dark blue/grey metallic) and got a rear paint rash due to a parking lot swipe. Just a portion of the rear bumper was repainted, but I couldn't even tell the difference in any kind of light with a magnifying glass. It can be done. Get the guy in the paint shop that is passionate about his work,....there is usually the "one" in every shop, make him do it!

Just as an aside, every one of my 3 new Porsches have arrived with some sort of small factory paint/body problem. In fact if I could pick only one thing for Porsche to improve upon, it would be paint for sure.

Good luck with it and report back.
They can usually match it pretty good, but the problem is everyone used paint thickness measuring devices today (I even have one myself) and that will detect it. That's why I mentioned the size of the spot.

ChuckJ

Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Looks to me like someone tried to do a spot repair of the paint and didn't get the paint to match very well. As you said, silver can be difficult to match.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by galion
Guys, please I need some advice here.
I just noticed that my Platinum Silver 991 has a 4" round dark stain on the rear fender, looks like it is under the clear coat, very noticeable under certain angles.
I didnt notice this before delivery since I was super excited and the car looked just perfect under the showroom floor lights.

Seems like a bad paint job from factory (maybe some kind of correction made before shipping the car)
I am sooo pissed, called the dealer and they told me to bring them the car to paint the entire area and correct the problem, I said What??!! Painting my new just delivered 20 miles in the ODO, $160K car!!! No way!!!, I am considering taking the car back to them and get my money back whatever it takes. If it was a Toyota I couldnt care less, but I just love this car and I want it to be perfect.
What would you do? I am being too **** about this?
Galion:
I see the dark spot, but is the white spot an issue also or is it a reflection?

ChuckJ

Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Galion:
I see the dark spot, but is the white spot an issue also or is it a reflection?

ChuckJ
Hey Chuck, Yes its the reflection of the Garage door opener light.
The problem is the darker round spot.
Within the next few days I will take the car to get a door speaker rattle fixed and talk with the dealers manager. He already offered to paint the whole panel and install a Sport Exhaust for free!!, or give me an aditional discount on my Cayenne GTS on order. I will definetely take the exhaust, not sure about the paint, I dont think that they can do a great job and I will always know its painted.
The thing is that the dark spot is only noticiable on a cloudy day or inside my garage, so I will try learn to live with it for the next couple of months and see.
I am OK with the settlement offered, at first they didnt care much even though it was a HUGE issue for me, until I told them to cancel my GTS order and that I was going to present a claim at the Consumers Defense Office. They are mean people!!, they love to get involved not to solve your problem but to take some big monetary penalty from them.

EDIT: Checked my email and the guy ment sport tailpipes, $1500 worth, no PSE for me.
I already have them from factory so an aditional discount on my GTS is the way to go. Further negotiation needed.

Last edited by galion; 09-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM
By the time you are through, I'm sure they will understand what is required of them!!

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New car paint problem