991 Carrera S vs 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
991 Carrera S vs 997.2 GT3

http://www.streetfire.net/video/fifth-gear-21x01-20120903_part-1_2395720.htm

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
GT3RSM3 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for posting. Still a no brainer for me on the Gt3. The 991 is definitely nice but still does not look aggressive enough for me as the gt3

Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
stamsky is infamous around these parts
Just for record - they are "supposed" to tie on the Nordschelife - http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html - but this must be PDK vs Manual - so Street Fire test is a bit more like to like and hence kind of more fair.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
poot991 is infamous around these parts
Great post, thanks. If Tiff says the steering is as good as the 997, that's good enough for me!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stamsky
Just for record - they are "supposed" to tie on the Nordschelife - http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html - but this must be PDK vs Manual - so Street Fire test is a bit more like to like and hence kind of more fair.
The only way I think it would be apples to apples is if they were both on cup tires. It would be interesting to see the how much closer the lap times would be.

I would also assume that the Nurburgring times are with both cars using ceramics.

I cant wait to see what the 991 gt3 will do!

Great video, thanks! I always get a kick out of Tiff.

Last edited by thigos; 09-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Great post. Anyone putting money on the GT3 version of the 991?

ChuckJ

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
stamsky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thigos
The only way I think it would be apples to apples is if they were both on cup tires. It would be interesting to see the how much closer the lap times would be.

I would also assume that the Nurburgring times are with both cars using ceramics.

Can't say whether it was ceramics or not - and not sure it is that much relevant for anything but endurance race - aside from the impact of the lower unsprung masses - but it does say though - it was on the road tires (presumably PZero) and was equipped with the PDCC.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2012-...rgring-in-740/

And I don't even let myself think of the new GT3 - we should still enjoy Carrera S before moving on to the next level

Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
unless you want an automatic then why look at the 991 gt3 haha

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thigos

From recent personal experience, the 991S on track tires + BBK + sport springs (+a few other mods but no tune) does as well as a GT3, if not a GT3RS. This is simply from HPDE's and may be driver dependent of course, but with similar skills, you would not notice a difference in track times.
I am not talking about the 'ring and professional drivers (or the fact that the GT3 "feels" differently), but unless you can get 100% out of the car, you may not see the benefit of a GT3(RS).
Maybe it is because the 991 allows you to more easily use 90% of the car potential where a similarly skilled driver can only get 80% out of a GT3...
Just my 2 cts

Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
From recent personal experience, the 991S on track tires + BBK + sport springs (+a few other mods but no tune) does as well as a GT3, if not a GT3RS. This is simply from HPDE's and may be driver dependent of course, but with similar skills, you would not notice a difference in track times.
I am not talking about the 'ring and professional drivers (or the fact that the GT3 "feels" differently), but unless you can get 100% out of the car, you may not see the benefit of a GT3(RS).
Maybe it is because the 991 allows you to more easily use 90% of the car potential where a similarly skilled driver can only get 80% out of a GT3...
Just my 2 cts
Great thoughts, Serge.

ChuckJ

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Great video from one of the few drivers I actually listen to and trust.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Tiff's act is getting kinda stale...(as is the whole Porsche marketing dominance)