Sport Design Package Measurement Request

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Sport Design Package Measurement Request

I know this is a long shot, but can anyone on here that has access to a 991 with the Sport Design package please take a measurement of the minimum front ground clearance at the revised front bumper?

Also, please make a note of what suspension you have on the car if you can help (PASM, SPASM, PDCC, S+PDCC).

I've ordered the Sport Design package on my car and am trying to get a sense of how low it will be (and whether or not changing to SPASM will make it too low for NYC driving). I want to compare it to my current car.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
lol. My order will have locked by then, but thanks for the offer.

Can't wait to see pics of yours!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
stamsky is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brianja
lol. My order will have locked by then, but thanks for the offer.

Can't wait to see pics of yours!
I will share this - my order has locked today and I ordered Sport Design + PASM -20m/PDCC - and check out my location (they normally drive Tahoes here ...heh ... but some Murcelagos as well to be fair). But I think it should be worth it. I am aiming to use it for track days pretty often and having seen some really controversial experiences with KW / Bilsteins from fellow 997 Carrera owners - I just decided I rather go for factory improved suspension rather than anything else. Mine is scheduled to arrive mid-November just before the infamous Russian winter - that will be fun!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by stamsky
I will share this - my order has locked today and I ordered Sport Design + PASM -20m/PDCC - and check out my location (they normally drive Tahoes here ...heh ... but some Murcelagos as well to be fair). But I think it should be worth it. I am aiming to use it for track days pretty often and having seen some really controversial experiences with KW / Bilsteins from fellow 997 Carrera owners - I just decided I rather go for factory improved suspension rather than anything else. Mine is scheduled to arrive mid-November just before the infamous Russian winter - that will be fun!
Thanks for the input. I'm really concerned because there are some pretty steep driveways and garage entrances around here that I don't want to be scraping on all of the time.

Maybe the best bet for me is keeping the stock suspension for now and then changing down the line (even if it is only springs). I have had an excellent experience with the change to aftermarket coilovers on my current car, so I can only hope for the same again.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
dlbonder is infamous around these parts
Hey, Got mine 2 weeks ago and just measured it at 6 3/8 inches from bottom edge, which is painted. Dont be surprised when it comes in that the lower piece is not on and inside the car for dealer to install, Also got the ducktail and it is sweet. Mine is an S Cab, standard suspension...see my post from 3 weeks ago for pics !

Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM
You rock! +1 rep to you

Thank you so much for taking that measurement. That's just about the exact height of my lowered RS4 (where I have had very few problems with scraping). I guess I will stick to the standard suspension for now and wait to see how it is when it comes in.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by dlbonder
Mine is an S Cab, standard suspension...see my post from 3 weeks ago for pics !
Just checked out the photos of your car. Great combo! Your 991 looks fantastic.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brianja
That's just about the exact height of my lowered RS4 (where I have had very few problems with scraping).
How similar are the overhangs, though?

For what it's worth, I have had no scraping issues with -20 SPASM and the SPASM lip. I see others have scraped the lip, but I think a lot has to do with how much care is taken on steeper breakovers.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
From looking at pics it seems like the overhangs are fairly similar. I had thought about that too, but wasn't going to ask for more measurements from people.

Thanks for the input on the SPASM drop. I'm typically pretty careful and make an effort to approach this stuff on an angle to avoid scraping as much as possible.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Unrelated, but RS4 pic is money.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks. It was my first time experimenting with off-camera flash work. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Unrelated, but RS4 pic is money.
No doubt!!!! You can take a picture of my car any day!!!

ChuckJ

Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
dlbonder is infamous around these parts
By the way, as mine is an "S" PASM is standard and the suspension is lowered .39 inch ! When I reported the measurement and said I had "standard" suspension, wanted to be sure you knew !

Old 09-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
No doubt!!!! You can take a picture of my car any day!!!

ChuckJ
haha... Thanks. If you were in the NYC area I would happily take some shots for you. I'm always looking for more subjects.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by dlbonder
By the way, as mine is an "S" PASM is standard and the suspension is lowered .39 inch ! When I reported the measurement and said I had "standard" suspension, wanted to be sure you knew !
oh... I wasn't clear on that at all. I assumed it was the standard, non-sport suspension.

If that is with the SPASM then I'd be pretty comfortable that that height would be ok. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Design Package Measurement Request