Multifunction vs Sport Steering Wheel: I'm Confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Haku
You're quite right in your assessment RB but... the SD wheel just looks so much better!
Again, a to each his own observation, just simple opinion here. Whatever wheel chosen, hope everyone is happy, you do need to sit down and think about it though.

When I first ordered my 991 I had the SD wheel square in my sights,....then I actually took a good look at it and although the paddles are of course the rage today, in my eyes they just didn't look "Porsche" like. I also thought the SD wheel was going to be a real aluminum & leather combination, turns out its just a faux type plastic painted covering on a normal type wheel,....turned me off big time. Looks good in pictures and a few feet away, but up close it was a disappointment,...at least to me.

One of the things I have on my list is check out is a TechArt MF wheel with paddles. You can custom design everything on them.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
You're quite right in your assessment RB but... the SD wheel just looks so much better!
Agree, the SD stalk is not as intuitive as the MF, but also I find the plastic buttons in the MF not as intuitive as the Paddles for PDK manual shifting.
The thicker and sportier SD wheel with the large alloy paddles (Left - / Right +), enhances the PDK driving experience IMO.
In a manual car I would take the MF steering wheel any day.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by galion
Agree, the SD stalk is not as intuitive as the MF, but also I find the plastic buttons in the MF not as intuitive as the Paddles for PDK manual shifting.
The thicker and sportier SD wheel with the large alloy paddles (Left - / Right +), enhances the PDK driving experience IMO.
In a manual car I would take the MF steering wheel any day.
Where did you get the idea that it was a thicker steering wheel? I haven't seen it mentioned in any documentation and my comparison at the dealer showed both to be the same. There used to be a thicker wheel option up to the 997.2 series, and then they all became the same I believe.

Depends on where you are coming from for the intuitive part,....being this will be my first PDK my first intuition will be to press down on a pedal with my left foot and shift with my right hand. So far I don't have any intuition for paddles or buttons!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:36 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Where did you get the idea that it was a thicker steering wheel? I haven't seen it mentioned in any documentation and my comparison at the dealer showed both to be the same. There used to be a thicker wheel option up to the 997.2 series, and then they all became the same I believe.
I had the std wheel (same as MF but w/o controls) in my first Base 991 and the SD stering in my current 991, I find the later noticiable thicker and with a more pronounced cut in the countoured grips for easier paddle access.

As far as the intuitive part of PDK, Youll get used to manually drive it, its very fun.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
I use my 991 as a daily drive. I came from the technology rich X5M. I really wanted the multi-function wheel but hate the buttons. I got the multi-function wheel and gave the buttons a try. They suck. Every race car I can think of that has a sequential shift has paddles and or a stick that upshifts when you pull back. Porsche just got these wrong. So I took the wheel off and sent it to Championship Motors. I had them put on their PDK paddles. They are OK. Not perfect but better than the buttons.

Attached Images    
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
+1, and it feels better

Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Glassman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by doogiedoc
Got it, thanks! (OBTW, I had no thought about buying a yellow car, but this one was gorgeous with black interior and yellow seat belts. It screamed, "come here and give me a ticket, officer!)
I have always loved, but never planned to buy, a yellow or Guards Red car, for fear of drawing the unwanted attention of the highway constabulary.

Then I saw my dream car in Guards Red, and, well...now it's in my garage!

"Eternal vigilance...is the price of liberty."* Especially for Guards Red and Race (or Speed) Yellow!

*Andrew Jackson March, 1837

Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
No one has mentioned...

You can get heat on mf wheel. No dice on the SD (which I have ). I'm contemplating a switch just for that reason....

DRP

Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed
You can get heat on mf wheel. No dice on the SD (which I have ). I'm contemplating a switch just for that reason....

DRP
"dice" ?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion

Nope, you get an aditional stalk by the lower right of the SD steering wheel to navigate through all the exact same functions, phone, stereo, car menus, sub menus, blah, blah. Works like a joystick so theres no need to take your hands off the wheel. Took me a couple of days to figure out how to do it right, now I can navigate as fast as I did on my Cayenne MF steering wheel.

It's a to each his own selection....

Yes the SD wheel does have the stalk to control most but not all functions of the MF wheel, but after working with both the SD lever flat out does not have the same ease of operation at all. If you want to have very quick access to everything that is PCM, NAV, sound system, engine data, etc. the MF wheel is simply hands down the better choice,...and as stated, volume control which is probably the most often used steering wheel control is not on the SD wheel. You can do everything on the MF wheel without removing any hand for levers, volume changes or gear changes.

Although the buttons on the MF wheel have been bagged on a bunch, they perform the same gear change functions just as fast as the DS wheel does with an added bonus,...up or down changes from either side with either hand.

Porsche just needs to offer a MF wheel with either paddles or buttons and make everyone happy.
Sometimes you never learn from the sales guys about these things..that are in fact..important! I ALWAYS LOVED the look of SD ...it looks so Porsche 911 classic + Sporty...who cares if it's not "real shiny metal"...as long as it feels good. IMO, it's a MUST for PDK!

Today, I called my sales guy and changed my config from MF to SD !!!

thanks to you

Last edited by Fester; 09-25-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Edward1212 is infamous around these parts
When I first ordered my 991 I had the SD wheel square in my sights,....then I actually took a good look at it and although the paddles are of course the rage today, in my eyes they just didn't look "Porsche" like. I also thought the SD wheel was going to be a real aluminum & leather combination, turns out its just a faux type plastic painted covering on a normal type wheel,....turned me off big time. Looks good in pictures and a few feet away, but up close it was a disappointment,...at least to me.
Oh wow, I thought that was aluminum or stainless steel on the sport steering wheel. You're telling me thats all just "silver plastic?" If so, thats a huge disappointment. Are the paddle shifters at least metal, or are they hard plastic also?

On the Multifunction wheel, are the shifter buttons plastic too or are those metal?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed

DRP
You can get heat on both... this from the 2013 brochure:

Steering Wheel Heating
For increased comfort on cold days, steering wheel heating is available as an option for the sport steering wheel and multifunction steering wheel (only in conjunction with seat heating).

Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward1212
Oh wow, I thought that was aluminum or stainless steel on the sport steering wheel. You're telling me thats all just "silver plastic?" If so, thats a huge disappointment. Are the paddle shifters at least metal, or are they hard plastic also?

On the Multifunction wheel, are the shifter buttons plastic too or are those metal?
Once again this from the 2013 brochure:

SportDesign Steering Wheel

The optional SportDesign steering wheel employs high-grip moldings and, in conjunction with PDK, two gearshift paddles. These are made from a strong alloy and are ergonomically located behind the left- and right-hand steering- wheel spokes.

--------

On a side note Edward, don't be hugely disappointed with the wheel not being all metal. The plus side is less weight and... it is very good quality plastic!

Sorry for the jibe hehehe.

I'll stick to the point I made before. Both wheels are functional and whatever floats your boat is the right one for you. One thing is for sure.... the Sport Design wheel looks much nicer!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I have it and didnt know it was plastic, looks and feels more like metal alloy to me. Still its beautiful and a very well made piece.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Edward1212

They are all plastic buttons or paddles I believe,...although I haven't had the opportunity to cut one down to be 100% sure.

The SD wheel facing is plastic with faux aluminum type accents. It's made to look like it has two aluminum spokes on either side, but it's a plastic cover with no air space between the spokes, it's black plastic.

IMO I'd rather have it cost twice as much and be constructed differently with genuine aluminum spokes. I like the design, just the implementation of it that's kinda cheesy.

All that matters most is if the owner likes it though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multifunction vs Sport Steering Wheel: I'm Confused