Multifunction vs Sport Steering Wheel: I'm Confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM
doogiedoc is infamous around these parts
Multifunction vs Sport Steering Wheel: I'm Confused

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I tried searching this but couldn't find an answer. I went to the dealership today to lay eyeballs on various vehicles for the first time. I was under the impression that with PDK you could only get shifter paddles on the Sport steering wheel, and that if you got the multi-function wheel, that you gave these up. Even the picture on the configurator seems to show this. However, at the dealer today, I saw a (gorgeous, might I add) yellow S with PDK, multi-function wheel, AND shift paddles that were built-in. These were not exactly like the paddles on another unit that had the Sport steering wheel, more like paddles/buttons. Am I losing my mind or can you get MF with "paddles?"

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Attilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the rough
With MF you get buttons. With sport design you get true paddles.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
You probably saw a standard Multi-Function wheel,...it comes with shift "buttons" on either side of the wheel. Press forward on either to move up a gear, or tap back to go down a gear. The non-MF wheel also has these "buttons". The Sport Wheel offers the true shift paddles,....but only a lever arm for all MF type functions.

Both wheels have their pros & cons,...just pick the one you like using the most.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
No, you cant get the MF steering with paddles from factory.
I think that the Sportdesign steering wheel with paddles is beautiful and really enhances the driving experience, I am loving using the paddles for upshifting/downshifting in sport plus. its a freaking fast and aggresive mode.
You can always navigate through all the PCM functions (except volume level) without taking your hands off the steering wheel, It may take some time to get used to since its not as intuitive as the MF wheel, but it works great.
OTOH if you prefer the MF, you can always get the Techart paddle kit, best of both worlds.

Last edited by galion; 09-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
doogiedoc is infamous around these parts
Got it, thanks! (OBTW, I had no thought about buying a yellow car, but this one was gorgeous with black interior and yellow seat belts. It screamed, "come here and give me a ticket, officer!)

Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
You can always navigate through all the PCM functions (except volume level) without taking your hands off the steering wheel, It may take some time to get used to since its not as intuitive as the MF wheel, but it works great.
I didn't know that. I thought there's NO WAY to use controls on the SD steering wheel, hence the key reason for me getting the MF.... if you're referring to voice control, that's a different story but not same as controlling from MF while keeping your mouth shut...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fester
I didn't know that. I thought there's NO WAY to use controls on the SD steering wheel, hence the key reason for me getting the MF.... if you're referring to voice control, that's a different story but not same as controlling from MF while keeping your mouth shut...
Nope, you get an aditional stalk by the lower right of the SD steering wheel to navigate through all the exact same functions, phone, stereo, car menus, sub menus, blah, blah. Works like a joystick so theres no need to take your hands off the wheel. Took me a couple of days to figure out how to do it right, now I can navigate as fast as I did on my Cayenne MF steering wheel.

Last edited by galion; 09-24-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM
BnB
BnB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by galion
Nope, you get an aditional stalk by the lower right of the SD steering wheel to navigate through all the exact same functions, phone, stereo, car menus, sub menus, blah, blah. Works like a joystick so theres no need to take your hands off the wheel. Took me a couple of days to figure out how to do it right, now I can navigate as fast as I did on my Cayenne MF steering wheel.
Agreed. MFSW would be entirely redundant if not for the volume controls on the wheel. Everything else (and more) is already accessible from the little lever on the bottom right.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by BnB
Agreed. MFSW would be entirely redundant if not for the volume controls on the wheel. Everything else (and more) is already accessible from the little lever on the bottom right.
What about voice control? does that not work well?

Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 AM
BnB
BnB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by arthurk
I'm afraid I've no idea. No voice control on my car.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by arthurk
I don't have it but know that VC controls all PCM commands...that's why I'm getting it (it's optional equipment)

Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 AM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Exactly right, with the stalk and voice control then you can get rid of the mf wheel and go sports paddle

Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Dont know if Porsche improved VC in the 991, but I didnt like it in my 958 Cayenne, tried it a couples of times and forget about it, took forever to access the menus.
Nothing beats BMW VC user friendliness IMO.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fester
It's a to each his own selection....

Yes the SD wheel does have the stalk to control most but not all functions of the MF wheel, but after working with both the SD lever flat out does not have the same ease of operation at all. If you want to have very quick access to everything that is PCM, NAV, sound system, engine data, etc. the MF wheel is simply hands down the better choice,...and as stated, volume control which is probably the most often used steering wheel control is not on the SD wheel. You can do everything on the MF wheel without removing any hand for levers, volume changes or gear changes.

Although the buttons on the MF wheel have been bagged on a bunch, they perform the same gear change functions just as fast as the DS wheel does with an added bonus,...up or down changes from either side with either hand.

Porsche just needs to offer a MF wheel with either paddles or buttons and make everyone happy.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
It's a to each his own selection....

Yes the SD wheel does have the stalk to control most but not all functions of the MF wheel, but after working with both the SD lever flat out does not have the same ease of operation at all. If you want to have very quick access to everything that is PCM, NAV, sound system, engine data, etc. the MF wheel is simply hands down the better choice,...and as stated, volume control which is probably the most often used steering wheel control is not on the SD wheel. You can do everything on the MF wheel without removing any hand for levers, volume changes or gear changes.

Although the buttons on the MF wheel have been bagged on a bunch, they perform the same gear change functions just as fast as the DS wheel does with an added bonus,...up or down changes from either side with either hand.

Porsche just needs to offer a MF wheel with either paddles or buttons and make everyone happy.
You're quite right in your assessment RB but... the SD wheel just looks so much better!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multifunction vs Sport Steering Wheel: I'm Confused