Opinion's on ride differences between the 997 and 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Opinion's on ride differences between the 997 and 991

I'd like to know if there are perceptible differences between the ride quality between the 997 and the 991, in as far as the shorter wheel base.

I have been test driving the New 911's but haven't had the opportunity to drive the 997.

Need some Butt-o-meter responses...thx!

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 09-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM
msf
msf is infamous around these parts
I test drove a 991S. I did not see much difference in ride comfort. My leather in the TT is a bit softer.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
good to hear...

They had a New 997 at the dealership, but it was a stick, and a coupe, and we would like a Cab...

Is the PDK in the 997.2 the same as the 991 or were there any improvements?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Had the 997 sport chrono package. Now have PDCC and chrono with 991. Apples and oranges. PDCC is the perfect means of adapting to any road conditions and yet remains very true to a sports car feel. I'm so drinking the Kool Aid. PDCC is perfect and I had major doubts prior to buying for sure.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by VikingMariner
Had the 997 sport chrono package. Now have PDCC and chrono with 991. Apples and oranges. PDCC is the perfect means of adapting to any road conditions and yet remains very true to a sports car feel. I'm so drinking the Kool Aid. PDCC is perfect and I had major doubts prior to buying for sure.
Ahh, so like this...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
I'd like to know if there are perceptible differences between the ride quality between the 997 and the 991, in as far as the shorter wheel base.

I have been test driving the New 911's but haven't had the opportunity to drive the 997.

Need some Butt-o-meter responses...thx!
This is nothing against 997's - they are amazing cars. I feel there is a real difference and so has everyone who has ridden in my car. A friend bought my 997.2, and another mutual friend who rides with both of us at different times, will not stop gushing about the 991 ride on both b-roads and the highway compared to my old car.

I just got the 991 back from a 9500ci install in Seattle. The sales consultant working with me mentioned he was able to drive the car a bit, and that it was the first 991 he has driven (he has done many 997's) and went on and on about how the car was a whole new experience.

I personally feel it is a very noticeable difference between the two generations and prefer the manual 991 over the pdk 997. After switching more cars than I'd like to admit for the last few years, I believe I really have found what I'm looking for and almost feel like Porsche designed this 991 just for me. That was very sweet of them.

And again, nothing against any other Porsche whatever numbers are on it - if you like it, buy it!

Last edited by nicoli; 09-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Any version of the 991 rides better compared to a 997,....that is one of the major goals Porsche was aiming for with the longer wheelbase.

You also don't need any high dollar options to get it either, it's that way on the base all the way up to the S. PASM added to the base might be a good option if you have a lot of rough roads.

PDCC makes the car maybe 5% more comfortable on bad roads,...on good ones you won't know the difference. Your choice if you want to spend the money on it or not, but I would urge you to take out both versions and see if it would be of any benefit for your type of driving.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Having had two 997s, personally I think everything about the 991 is better than the 997. That said, the ride of the 991C2 is better, but not an order of magnitude like so many other functional areas.

ChuckJ

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
I test drove 991s with and without the PDCC. There was a major difference in ride quality, stability, and agility. PDCC was overpriced but superior. Perhaps a personal choice. I'm very satisfied with PDCC and highly recommend it, speaking as someone who prefers twisty mountain roads over the straightaway every day. The video See U posted is spot on.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 09-28-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
hlee1169 is infamous around these parts
Comparing my 991C2S cab with PDCC to my previous 997.2C2S cab, the quality of ride is substantially better. 991 is more compliant yet feel more planted, I feel more confident going faster on the street and through the twisty mountain roads. My personal opinion is that the biggest improvement in the new 991 is the suspension. Wider front track, longer wheelbase, and PDCC makes its handling really shine.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hlee1169
Comparing my 991C2S cab with PDCC to my previous 997.2C2S cab, the quality of ride is substantially better. 991 is more compliant yet feel more planted, I feel more confident going faster on the street and through the twisty mountain roads. My personal opinion is that the biggest improvement in the new 991 is the suspension. Wider front track, longer wheelbase, and PDCC makes its handling really shine.
I agree 100%, and also contributing the dynamic engine mounts, PTV, e-diff... I came from a 997.1 Targa which has among the softer suspensions on a 997 and it doesn't hold a candle to the 991S in ride comfort, front end stability and turn in, lack of brake dive, body roll, etc. Don't get me wrong I adored the 997 and wholeheartedly recommend it if that's what the budget allows but Porsche has achieved something very special with the 991S chassis and suspension.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Had both...

997 4S cab ....more of a raw driver involved feeling to me...fun car

991S ...doesnt quite have that same raw feeling to me, even its sport plus.... but a small trade off for a faster, prettier, more refined vehicle....and the interior fit n finish combined with burmester makes for a fantastic ****pit.

Last edited by BrandonH; 09-28-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM
My 991 has far more raw sports car feeling than my 997 did and I loved my 997. My 991 is certainly more of a raw animal with PDCC, PDK, and chrono. I respectfully have a hard time understanding a different conclusion. I read all the criticism of PDCC, the new steering system, blah, blah, blah. I believed it. I test drove multiple 991s and drove home in my chrono equipped 997 each time and realized what I read was not accurate, albeit it was written by very respectable people. I say this mainly so others will at least do a test drive and find out for themselves. After owning many Porsche sports cars for decades, I can honestly say nothing comparisons to the 991 S. Not even close!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Like I said previously, I adored my 997 but the 991S as a total all-around engineering concept blows me away. I can't see how the 991 can be thought of as more raw. Sure the "raw" sports car feeling is ambiguous and highly subjective so we can argue semantics all day long. I think that for most folks, a more "raw" car -- with possibly some exceptions like a Viper SRT -- means a smaller performance envelope. That might not be the case for a pro-driver but for the 99%, on street or track, it is. Now some folks will always prefer a more "raw" (less capable car in the hands of the same driver) because they like some small amount of instability, roughness etc that always keeps them on their toes and constantly jolts them as a reminder that they are driving a sports car, not a luxury sedan.

Every 911 series has been more refined and faster than the last. Does that make them better cars? To me, except for the 996 (which gave up build quality and aesthetics in return for marginally higher performance), yes, the newer series is always a better car. That's not a shocking conclusion when you consider the brains and r&d that goes into every new series. Value of course is another question. Is it worth the difference in price from a low mileage 997.2 Only you and your accountant can answer that.

Go drive both if you want to find out which camp you fall in -- "raw" or higher performance. At the same time, be honest with yourself if you are boulevard cruiser, track rat or whatnot. For my taste, achieving the highest available safety and stability at 9/10th, the technological goodies that allow you to take turns at speeds previously unachievable, THE TOTAL PERFORMANCE, to say nothing of the creature comforts, is the thrill I'm after within my budget. And that's what the 991S delivers in spades and makes it top of the heap to me... at least until the Turbo and GT3 come to town

Last edited by KonaKai; 09-28-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:49 PM
See your point. Thanks. Raw has a different meaning for me. I'm a fan of advanced technology. I understand the age old purist argument and completely reject it with some respect though. To reject certain technology or refinements is not my interests at all least we all drive lesser, more raw sports cars without certain technological refinements like let's say ABS breaks that Porsche pioneered. If someone thinks the 991 S PDK PDCC chrono is soft like a Lexus lol they need to come with me when I flick a few key switches while already at 80 mph, for example, or start at zero with launch control executed. Coming from a manual 997 chrono I was shocked at what happened. Now if only I could move back to Stuttgart-Botnang I think it would be the best of all possible worlds! The 991 S PDK PDCC chrono is a race car disguised as a street car. Recommend test driving it.

I do not believe the purist approach is consistent with Porsche's design philosophy and never was, although I hate cup holders and refuse to look at the area without grimacing. It's okay to have a comfortable race car. All the major super car houses now recognize that is the best approach. The argument died about 20 years ago for the major design houses.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 09-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.