Multi Function Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Zero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to allZero911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KevinC
I was going to order the Sport Design because I like the paddles a lot more than the buttons (and I think it looks better than the Multi Function), but my salesperson convinced me to order the Multi Function. I love the PDK and don't shift manually that often. Due to the way I use the car I'm glad my salesperson pushed me to the Multi Function.
I was always under the impression that because of the shifters, the SD was the way to go - also for resale value. What did he say to convince you to go multi function?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Sure, I've seen many of these in Kias and Hyundais,...
Buttons on 3 spoke steering wheel, yep

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Exclamation The Latest & Greatest Porsche Steering Wheel

If you really want to, do-it-right, here's the way to go...

I mean, if money was no object...

Here is the GT3, where the Steering Wheel resides...

Attached Images   

Last edited by See U n Rear View; 10-04-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dhill911
+1. IMO, Porsche needs to completely redesign the standard and Multifunction steering wheels. Aesthetically, they are the only disappointment on the car.
+1 with a caveat...

I think the wheels are nice. However, the whole 991 is new. The 911 hence should have new bespoke wheel choices. I don't like the fact that the Cayenne and Panameras offer the same wheel options.

Maybe with the GT3/turbo, some new options will emerge?

DRP

Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
If you really want to, do-it-right, here's the way to go...

I mean, if money was no object...

Here is the GT3, where the Steering Wheel resides...
Sorry, behind the times, it should be a Touch-Screen.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Zero911
I was always under the impression that because of the shifters, the SD was the way to go - also for resale value. What did he say to convince you to go multi function?
He told me two things that pushed me to the multi function. (1) he asked me to think about other cars I own (or owned) and how frequently I used the controls on the steering wheel for changing volume, songs (ipod), stations (FM or satellite), etc.; and (2) while he readily admitted the paddles on the SD are preferable to the buttons on the multi function, he had me drive the PDK demo car and shift from the PDK shifter which I thought was a good way to shift manually if I really didn't like the buttons. As I mentioned in my post, the SD looks a lot better IMO, but I chose the functionality and am happy I did.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I'm getting to really like the buttons and drive it manually most of the time.

ChuckJ

Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I'm getting to really like the buttons and drive it manually most of the time. ChuckJ
I like the buttons too, I liked them on my test drive and I do use the MF features frequently. I am using the buttons about 50% of the time.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
I'm not expert on this but it seems to me that the paddle shift is just copying F1 race cars. With all of the controls loaded onto their steering wheels there was just no room left for thumb button shifters on the wheel in a tiny c o c kpit (dang dirty word blockers, haha) so the paddles became the only way. Again--I'm no expert. My comment comes from watching F1 early in the morning with one eye open and tripping over myself to make coffee. Ferrari copied the paddle concept for their street cars. They copied a bunch of other steering wheel buttons and rotary switches too that should have been left elsewhere for better ergonomics. I still maintain that the paddle shifters are not optimal for quick shifts in comparison to the Porsche MFW setup, which requires less hand movement to shift gears. Both wheels SD and MF are ugly in my humble opinion, but I don't mind so much.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 10-02-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM
The paddle shifters definitely win the "cool" contest. Which set up is best is definitely a personal preference thing. As far as how the wheels look I never thought about it, I guess they look fine to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Lightbulb "Big wheel keeps on turning..."

Here's a few that were are talking about. I would like some sort of either partial or custom Alcantara option in our build...

Attached Images      
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Here's a few that were are talking about. I would like some sort of either partial or custom Alcantara option in our build...
Well Suncoast appears to have it...is this what you are talking about?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ASE_InteriorAL

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Why not do what I did with my Panamera GTS?

Get the MF wheel and add TechArt paddles? Best of both worlds!

Will post a pic in a bit...

J

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I just ordered a 991S Cab (December production) and order the Paddle shift wheel. I drove a 991S last week in Germany with the buttons and found myself shifting down instead of up way too often. I have paddle shifting wheel in my 996 TT Cab and the paddles feel far more comfortable and user friendly. Also my present BMW 650 Cab is paddle so with two cars being paddle I wanted that on the new one (but the BMW is going away in January to make garage room for the 991S) with paddles also. I've had and used both.

John in Vancouver

Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Ok...I went to dealership and tested both MF and SD side by side after connecting my iPhone via wire for songs as well as Bluetooth for phone functions. SD is perfectly fine with stalk and phone controls right there in the center console so ergonomically placed. Again, you find MF in base Cayennes/Panas V6 etc and need this on those cars because they're so big that you have to reach out for the controls vs 991 plus true sports models like GTS come with SD...IMO if you're owning a legendary sports car SD is a way to go...I'm so sure this time that I've selected the right option for my 4S! Again, it's just my opinion...

Last edited by Fester; 10-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi Function Steering wheel