Multi Function Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fester
Ok...I went to dealership and tested both MF and SD side by side after connecting my iPhone via wire for songs as well as Bluetooth for phone functions. SD is perfectly fine with stalk and phone controls right there in the center console so ergonomically placed. Again, you find MF in base Cayennes/Panas V6 etc and need this on those cars because they're so big that you have to reach out for the controls vs 991 plus true sports models like GTS come with SD...IMO if you're owning a legendary sports car SD is a way to go...I'm so sure this time that I've selected the right option for my 4S! Again, it's just my opinion...
completely agree

Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fester
Ok...I went to dealership and tested both MF and SD side by side after connecting my iPhone via wire for songs as well as Bluetooth for phone functions. SD is perfectly fine with stalk and phone controls right there in the center console so ergonomically placed. Again, you find MF in base Cayennes/Panas V6 etc and need this on those cars because they're so big that you have to reach out for the controls vs 991 plus true sports models like GTS come with SD...IMO if you're owning a legendary sports car SD is a way to go...I'm so sure this time that I've selected the right option for my 4S! Again, it's just my opinion...

Really? ,....can't say how many 997s, 991s, 997 Turbos, Pani & Cayenne Turbos and other more expensive cars than a C4S have the MF wheel, and yes they are all the same wheel, go figure.

Have you even sat in a Cayenne or Panamera? Their dash controls are actually easier compared to a 991 as they are set higher up and in a more open space, they are much easier to operate compared to a 991. That is one very important reason I chose the MF wheel for my 991 as important functions such as volume, nav, etc are all much easier to get with it, I probably wouldn't need it on a Cayenne.

True sports cars only come with SD wheel?....now your just being ignorant. I'm sure everyone here that has a MF wheel will love to hear this,....shame on them for thinking they bought a legendary sports car only to find out that with a MF wheel it's not!

Glad your happy with your decision, hope it works out the best for you.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Really? ,....can't say how many 997s, 991s, 997 Turbos, Pani & Cayenne Turbos and other more expensive cars than a C4S have the MF wheel, and yes they are all the same wheel, go figure.

Have you even sat in a Cayenne or Panamera? Their dash controls are actually easier compared to a 991 as they are set higher up and in a more open space, they are much easier to operate compared to a 991. That is one very important reason I chose the MF wheel for my 991 as important functions such as volume, nav, etc are all much easier to get with it, I probably wouldn't need it on a Cayenne.

True sports cars only come with SD wheel?....now your just being ignorant. I'm sure everyone here that has a MF wheel will love to hear this,....shame on them for thinking they bought a legendary sports car only to find out that with a MF wheel it's not!

Glad your happy with your decision, hope it works out the best for you.
Yep, the MF wheel i looked at was in cayenne and SD was in Carerra 991... Everyone has an opinion, you have yours and I have mine..my order isn't locked so I can change anytime but I won't....peace brother

Last edited by Fester; 10-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:21 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
^^^Its true that the SportDesign steering wheel comes standard in sportier versions like the GTS models.
In our market, the MF steering wheel comes standard in Cayennes and Panameras.

I have to admit that I didnt choose the SD wheel on my first order because I didnt know about the stalk (yes, being my first 911 I was ignorant).
I got really pissed when I found out that there was a stalk and I could easely control EVERYTHING without taking my hands off the steering wheel except volume level, which is within easy reach BTW. It was a no brainer the second time.
Everyone dealing with this decision should do what Fester did, go test both with your phone, ipod and try to navigate through the stalk.
Needless to say that my heart is with the SD wheel with paddles, imo it just screams 911, besides that, I didnt want to have the same steering wheel that my wife's Cayenne V6 has.
To each his own.

Last edited by galion; 10-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by galion
^^^Its true that the SportDesign steering wheel comes standard in sportier versions like the GTS models.
In our market, the MF steering wheel comes standard in Cayennes and Panameras.

I have to admit that I didnt choose the SD wheel on my first order because I didnt know about the stalk (yes, being my first 911 I was ignorant).
I got really pissed when I found out that there was a stalk and I could easely control EVERYTHING without taking my hands off the steering wheel except volume level, which is within easy reach BTW. It was a no brainer the second time.
Everyone dealing with this decision should do what Fester did, go test both with your phone, ipod and try to navigate through the stalk.
Needless to say that my heart is with the SD wheel with paddles, imo it just screams 911, besides that, I didnt want to have the same steering wheel that my wife's Cayenne V6 has.
To each his own.

So the premise here is that the MF wheel is not suited for the 911 because it is also used on many other Porsches some not a 911?, seriously?,...even with it even being standard on a Panamera Turbo S?....the most sporting of all Panameras? That is just ridiculous period.

How in the heck does an SD wheel scream 911?.....there's no historic look to it....and paddles were certainly not a Porsche idea, so where is the connection? I guess people that order an SD wheel on a base Boxster or Cayman really should not? I mean, it's not a 911 so what business do they have ordering one?

What about people that stick with a base wheel on a 991, what do they scream?,....I guess they can't be real 911 owners then. Why do you have an SD wheel on your 991 when certainly it's won't be the most sporting 911 out there in the coming months? Did you opt for the Sport Design wheels like I did? If you didn't your clearly not as "sporting" in that department. I mean they offer a more sporting look and drive for sure. See how stupid this sounds?

I know there's supporters of both wheels for very good reasons, but don't conjure up absurd arguments such as these as it's strictly a personal choice as neither wheel drives the car any better compared to the other.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 10-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:59 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
^^^ Hehe, Whatever rocks your boat man. I am glad you like the MF wheel, I like it too in my wifes Cayenne, its one beautiful steering wheel. What I ment to say is that it screams 911 because it looks and feels sportier, you cant argue with that, and it has its practical side too, Paddles may not be Porsche but they have a sportier feeling too, Have you tried Sport Plus Paddle shifting with PSE on? Youll love it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by galion
^^^ Hehe, Whatever rocks your boat man. I am glad you like the MF wheel, I like it too in my wifes Cayenne, its one beautiful steering wheel. What I ment to say is that it screams 911 because it looks and feels sportier, you cant argue with that, and it has its practical side too, Paddles may not be Porsche but they have a sportier feeling too, Have you tried Sport Plus Paddle shifting with PSE on? Youll love it.
Well I guess that's what the debate is here,....yes, seen the SD wheel many times and I wasn't that impressed with its looks, especially up close. It pretty much feels like the MF wheel, not much difference there. Both feel great in the hands.

"Looks" are totally subjective, just like car color. For me I happen to think the MF wheel looks plenty sporting especially in black leather, and in carbon fiber, wow!

Yes, I've tried Sport Plus shifting with both wheels and it works exactly the same on each (very cool of course, same here with PSE),....the only thing different is buttons vs. paddles, neither is faster than the other as far as PDK shift execution, they both respond exactly the same. I don't dislike paddles at all, just the all around usefulness of the MF wheel won me over.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Always enjoy reading these comments. Reminds me of the time someone averred that drifting around a turn was more efficient than proper braking and accelerating probably because they had seen too many auto TV program reviews of the 911 with crappy drivers claiming to be experts.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Here is another reason why I think the buttons are the dumbest thing on the planet. Tracking a Panamera with the stupid buttons this past weekend. My hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel. When making aggressive turns, the heal of my thumb would hit the button and downshift. Needless to say at very inappropriate times.

Two choices. Get the sport wheel with paddles or the multi-function and swap the buttons for Champion paddles.

The Porsche buttons are a cruel joke being played on me.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Some of my instructors claim that 9 and 3 are not optimal for evasive and defensive driving. They claim 8 and 4 are better. I still think the movie Dumb and Dumber is ummm dumber.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
They are probably taking about 8 and 4 for when you are shuffling your hands on the wheel. They are correct for defensive and evasive. Probably not best for track. I keep mine at 9 and 3 and still have the ability to shuffle if needed.

My personal opinion. I was taught by several pro drivers and am friends with several who teach the Feds what would best be called "aggressive driving".

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, but I have not experienced a problem with the MF wheel no matter where my hands are on the wheel. Shuffling is optimal at 8 and 4, but that's not the sole purpose. You get a greater range of motion even with one hand on the wheel and hence a greater, faster turn angle than using 9 and 3. I was resistant too at first but would probably not be wise for me brag about how or why I really think 8 and 4 is the best. I realize, however, it's just my two cents to the discussion. No offense intended.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I actually think its great that 998M actually came up with valid reasoning of why he personally didn't like the MF wheel,....for a minute I there I thought he was going to say something like "I don't like it because it might also be offered on the Pani Sport Turismo or Mecan" or "You can't shift with it",....which purely in his case wasn't a problem, just not when he wanted. Great progress here.....

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by VikingMariner
You get a greater range of motion even with one hand on the wheel and hence a greater, faster turn angle than using 9 and 3.
I can see that you could get a greater range. I might have to try it. It is just so easy to get lazy and flop your thumbs over the place where I removed the buttons.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I actually think its great that 998M actually came up with valid reasoning of why he personally didn't like the MF wheel,....for a minute I there I thought he was going to say something like "I don't like it because it might also be offered on the Pani Sport Turismo or Mecan" or "You can't shift with it",....which purely in his case wasn't a problem, just not when he wanted. Great progress here.....

What?!? they are going to be on the Mecan?!? What crap! I am selling my car.

No, I personally hate them because I think they are not intuitive… at all. Me having fat hands and accidently shifting just adds to my personal distaste for them. (Notice I have a lot of “I”s and “personally” listed. My therapy is working)

There are others who like the buttons. To each his own. Then again Pontiac did sell over 27,000 Azteks. Just saying J

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi Function Steering wheel