Multi Function Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 998M
What?!? they are going to be on the Mecan?!? What crap! I am selling my car.

No, I personally hate them because I think they are not intuitive… at all. Me having fat hands and accidently shifting just adds to my personal distaste for them. (Notice I have a lot of “I”s and “personally” listed. My therapy is working)

There are others who like the buttons. To each his own. Then again Pontiac did sell over 27,000 Azteks. Just saying J
LOL ,....dang, going to have park the Aztek out back now...

And millions of people watch the Kardashians,....you know the pretty/plasticky ones with no substance...., but I guess it's because they have big paddles!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
dwaynemosley is infamous around these parts
I've ordered the Techart paddle kit to convert my buttons to paddles. I get to keep my multifunction wheel and get the same paddle functions. It's less than 50% of the price of the SD wheel with re-programming and paying more for that also not required.

I like how I can mute the audio by depressing the volume wheel. I also like having the PCM NAV map available while changing the music selection in the cluster without moving my hands. Plus, I also like hanging up the phone, and changing the phone and audio volume all from the wheel. I didn't want to lose all that.

Hopefully I'll be in multifunction / paddle wheel nirvana when I install this thing. If not, I'll do something different.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Having the MF wheel and paddles is awesome. I have the Champion paddles. I didn't see the Techart when I ordered them. The Techarts look really nice. How much? The ChampionMotorsport were $1,500.

I would like your thoughts when you get them on.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Is there a way to add a poll to this thread?

I, like many others, am torn between functionality of buttons on the steering wheel vs not liking the buttons on the MF (and liking the paddles on the SD better).

I want paddles over buttons, but am thinking I'll use the MF buttons (not shifting buttons) more than anything else (including paddles). I just think the shifting buttons on the MF wheel look so ugly.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have paddle shifting and MF buttons on the wheel of my BMW 650. Only think I use the MF buttons for is volume control though. 650 is going away because I've ordered 991S Cab.

On the 991S I ordered last week I went for paddles over multi function wheel without hesitation. I've driven both and far prefer the paddles and am prepared to give up MF without any regret. My rental 991S had the normal buttons for shifting and I found it difficult to get used to given my Turbo also has been changed over to paddle shifting.

John in Vancouver

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Stop the madness. Do not pick one or the other. You can have both. With either Champion Motorsports or Techart’s paddles. I love the MF buttons. I use them all the time. Volume/mute. There is a programmable button. The phone and the ability to scroll thru the computer. Just fantastic. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 998M
Stop the madness. Do not pick one or the other. You can have both. With either Champion Motorsports or Techart’s paddles. I love the MF buttons. I use them all the time. Volume/mute. There is a programmable button. The phone and the ability to scroll thru the computer. Just fantastic. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Oh Lord. Remember to use the smiley face so you don't get flamed for being "serious" by serious people! lol Don't be like me!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
You can read my posts on this topic (and why I went with the MF in my 991S - even though I admit the SD looks a lot better IMO) on the first couple of pages. However, I spent the weekend at Sebring driving a car with a removable steering wheel with one button (radio communication) that looked very similar to this and it worked remarkably well.

Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VikingMariner
Oh Lord. Remember to use the smiley face so you don't get flamed for being "serious" by serious people! lol Don't be like me!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Sorry it took so long to post a couple of pics. I have a short attention span... LOL

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
Sorry it took so long to post a couple of pics. I have a short attention span... LOL

Sweet setup you have there! I have the MF wheel and I have finally experienced unintended upshifts at critical moments. I am considering adding paddles now. Homework time....

Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Pvp2 is infamous around these parts
I decided to go with mf and after two weeks of driving I was completely sold on it and do not regret not having paddles

Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Jason,

They look great. What are your thoughts? How do they feel? How is the distance between the paddles and the turnsignal? On the Champion paddles there is not much room.

M

Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
In my very humble opinion the MF steering wheel buttons feel like an afterthought. I had a Panamera 4S loaner and there were several issues that I observed (coming from a Sports Steering wheel).

1. Extremely flimsy buttons for what is actually quite a "chunky" steering wheel.
2. Tendencies for unintended shifts with the MF Steering is high.
3. The MF functions are not synch'ed with the PCM screen (why?).
4. You find yourself going to the PCM screen due to (3).
5. Paddles should have been considered by Porsche from day one, but Jason seems to have nailed it...

Just my $0.02 having driven both in close proximity for an extended period.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dux
3. The MF functions are not synch'ed with the PCM screen (why?).
It seems as if something was wrong with that Pana you had, or the Pana is done differently than the 991. On my 991S the PCM is always updated and accurate with the current situation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi Function Steering wheel