Multi Function Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone ever added a heated multifunction wheel replacing an non-heated multifunction wheel in a 991?

The only thing I'd change on my cab is adding a heated wheel. I drive the thing in the cold and wet and absolutely would love a heated steering wheel. I got to sample one on a loaner recently and it felt better heated than the 997 cab heated wheel I used to drive.

p.s. I emailed Suncoast about this and their reply was basically, "maybe." They hadn't done one yet.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Woodster
It seems as if something was wrong with that Pana you had, or the Pana is done differently than the 991. On my 991S the PCM is always updated and accurate with the current situation.
MF functions only displayed on instrument cluster...

You may be correct, but another owner with a MFSW also posted this observation in a prior thread regarding his 991s..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
dwaynemosley is infamous around these parts
I installed the same kit as jasonrhcastle. The paddles are so much better than the front/rear buttons. Getting the center section off the steering wheel is not for the faint of heart as it takes a large amount of prying to get it off. After that, there are a few wires to change and a couple of other minor changes. It all goes back together very easily and works great.

I like having the MF buttons for volume, changing tunes, phone functions, and cluster info access.

I used black pasti-dip on the Techart silver inserts for the front of the wheel to color the button inserts black. It turned out better than I expected. As a plasti-dip novice, I didn't get enough on one of them and it's starting to peel up on the back corner. I'll have to do it again and be sure the spray goes around to the backside of the button inserts.

Last edited by dwaynemosley; 10-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dux
MF functions only displayed on instrument cluster...

You may be correct, but another owner with a MFSW also posted this observation in a prior thread regarding his 991s..
Only on instrument cluster?....OK, sorry, I misunderstood and I agree with that. Mine shows gear selection in the appropriate place and all of the other functions the wheel controls in the "Multifunction Display" screen. As far as the PCM screen goes, I actually don't know about that. If the MFSW is not syncing to that screen, I guess it has not been a problem for me. I will check next time I drive it.

Last edited by Woodster; 10-29-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
I installed the same kit as Woodster.
Dwayne,
I have not installed it yet. It was another forum member: jasonrhcastle. I was just replying to his picture post about it.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
dwaynemosley is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Woodster
Dwayne,
I have not installed it yet. It was another forum member: jasonrhcastle. I was just replying to his picture post about it.
Thanks for the clarification. I updated my message.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
I agree with Dwayne. It is really the best of both worlds.

I had a 2012 Cayenne Turbo before, and loved it. Had the SportDesign wheel. The paddles with the SportDesign feel only slightly more sturdy, but having gotten used to the MF wheel benefits, I am VERY happy to have these.

I will, from now on, always order the MF wheel and add the TechArt paddle. The guys at TechArt are great!

J

Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Jason,

How do you like the paddles? How do they feel? Is there enough room between the paddles and turnsignals. I have the Champion paddles and while they feel good there is very little room for your fingers between turn signal stalk and paddles.

M

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nicoli
Has anyone ever added a heated multifunction wheel replacing an non-heated multifunction wheel in a 991?

p.s. I emailed Suncoast about this and their reply was basically, "maybe." They hadn't done one yet.
Funny, I just heard back from Suncoast yesterday and they said the "official" answer from Porsche is that upgrading to the MF and/or heated wheel is not possible if the car didn't come with those features.... Hmm

I wonder if Porsche's position was the same for the 997.2? I had my triangular base wheel in my 09' successfully upgraded to a 2010 style flat bottom multifunction wheel with heat... I needed an airbag, steering wheel, steering module, new clock spring and...5 trips to the dealer to figure it all out (MF worked immediately after install and activation in PIWIS, but the heat was the problem - new clock spring was the solution).

My suspicion is further fueled by the fact that the Carbon heated MF wheel for the 991 on the Suncoast Website is, according to them, compatible with all 991s? No mention in the literature for that accessory of whether the car came with MF or heated wheel...

My gut tells me its possible. If they allowed a return of the wheel, module and clock spring if it didn't work, I'd volunteer to be the Guinea Pig.

Anyone else have any input or experience with this issue. Also, does the MF wheel work for PCM or just the instrument cluster display?

Best of luck to fellow board members recovering from Sandy

Regards,
DRP

Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed
Funny, I just heard back from Suncoast yesterday and they said the "official" answer from Porsche is that upgrading to the MF and/or heated wheel is not possible if the car didn't come with those features.... Hmm

I wonder if Porsche's position was the same for the 997.2? I had my triangular base wheel in my 09' successfully upgraded to a 2010 style flat bottom multifunction wheel with heat... I needed an airbag, steering wheel, steering module, new clock spring and...5 trips to the dealer to figure it all out (MF worked immediately after install and activation in PIWIS, but the heat was the problem - new clock spring was the solution).

My suspicion is further fueled by the fact that the Carbon heated MF wheel for the 991 on the Suncoast Website is, according to them, compatible with all 991s? No mention in the literature for that accessory of whether the car came with MF or heated wheel...

My gut tells me its possible. If they allowed a return of the wheel, module and clock spring if it didn't work, I'd volunteer to be the Guinea Pig.

Anyone else have any input or experience with this issue. Also, does the MF wheel work for PCM or just the instrument cluster display?

Best of luck to fellow board members recovering from Sandy

Regards,
DRP

The suncoast website suggests that the MF wheel be installed by a professional and that if the functions are not previously activated, a visit to the dealer to activate the multi functions will be required.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drspeed
Here is the reply I got on October 25th:
---------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Suncoast Parts.

We have not installed too many of these and the ones we did we were not trying to retrofit a heated wheel into a car without that option. As of right now we cannot confirm or deny that it will work. I would like to think they are like the 997 which can be retrofit-able, but again I have nothing from Porsche confirming this.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you out with.

Ryan Butor

Suncoast Parts
-------------------------

I also have a suspicion it is possible - and I asked my local dealership to investigate as well. They asked me to e-mail them a photograph of my steering wheel for their parts department and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Last edited by nicoli; 10-31-2012 at 12:19 PM.