Multi Function Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Question Multi Function Steering wheel

It appears from the BYOP Site that the Multi Function is a little bit thicker than Sport Design.

And is the base Steering wheel any thicker or thinner than the others?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Not sure about girth. The Sport Design is the only way to go if you wanna shift.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thigos
Not sure about girth. The Sport Design is the only way to go if you wanna shift.
+1

go the dealer and see for yourself, i did and ordered the multi function

Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by thigos
Personal choice I know. I thought the same thing until I considered the ergonomics of the thing and tried them both. Paddle shifters on the Sport Design require a larger, more rapid hand movement to shift. The regular shifters on the multifunction wheel require less hand movement, meaning faster shifts. Just my two cents.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VikingMariner
Personal choice I know. I thought the same thing until I considered the ergonomics of the thing and tried them both. Paddle shifters on the Sport Design require a larger, more rapid hand movement to shift. The regular shifters on the multifunction wheel require less hand movement, meaning faster shifts. Just my two cents.

Im just not a fan of the pull to downshift push to upshift (or vice versa) on either paddle. Agreed that it is preference. For me there was no comparison. Sport wheel looks much better to me also.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:48 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
I was going to order the Sport Design because I like the paddles a lot more than the buttons (and I think it looks better than the Multi Function), but my salesperson convinced me to order the Multi Function. I love the PDK and don't shift manually that often. Due to the way I use the car I'm glad my salesperson pushed me to the Multi Function.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Watauga Automotiv is infamous around these parts
when is really anything plug and play

Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
sport design felt thicker to me and coming from the "M" wheel, I preferred it. I have the MT and really like the sport wheel with that.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Definitely try them both first. I wanted the paddles, but I have small hands so the buttons are best for me.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KevinC
I was going to order the Sport Design because I like the paddles a lot more than the buttons (and I think it looks better than the Multi Function), but my salesperson convinced me to order the Multi Function. I love the PDK and don't shift manually that often. Due to the way I use the car I'm glad my salesperson pushed me to the Multi Function.
My sales guys has been pushing me too... but I decided to get SD..it's just so sexy...JMO, the MF doesn't look too special as rest of the car industry (including very affordable "entry" level cars) have similar steering wheels....again JMO

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
^^^This.
SD steering wheel is thicker BTW, countoured grips and thumb cuts are more pronounced for easier paddle shifting.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by galion
^^^This.
SD steering wheel is thicker BTW, countoured grips and thumb cuts are more pronounced for easier paddle shifting.

The SD wheel is not thicker,....there is nothing in any documentation that states so and after a quick trip to the dealer I couldn't find any difference between the two. The SD does have more pronounced thumb cuts, but for the actual cut area the thickness is actually less compared to an MF wheel while the bulges above the cuts are larger.

Both wheels seem to be slightly thicker compared to the standard wheel, but by a very small amount.

Pick whichever one you like,....in the end they both shift and steer at the same exact speed. The MF wheel has the advantage of controlling every function of the NAV and sound system along with pulling up vital car information without having to take a hand off the wheel.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fester
My sales guys has been pushing me too... but I decided to get SD..it's just so sexy...JMO, the MF doesn't look too special as rest of the car industry (including very affordable "entry" level cars) have similar steering wheels....again JMO
Sure, I've seen many of these in Kias and Hyundais,...

Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by braindoc1
sport design felt thicker to me and coming from the "M" wheel, I preferred it. I have the MT and really like the sport wheel with that.
+1. IMO, Porsche needs to completely redesign the standard and Multifunction steering wheels. Aesthetically, they are the only disappointment on the car.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM
dochusar is infamous around these parts
I would love to have the multifunction buttons on the sport design wheel as was an option in Europe on the 997's. with my driving a really need the multifunction buttons. I really don't like to use paddle shifters and rather use the floor shifter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multi Function Steering wheel