*New Recall*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
miamiadjuster has a spectacular aura aboutmiamiadjuster has a spectacular aura about
*New Recall*

Just dropped my car off at the dealer for some rattling in the headliner and I was advised of a recall that surfaced today. Apparently it's an issue with the PDK cooling system. I will be picking up the car in a few days, when I do I'll get more details for you guys.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
What was your build date?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM
miamiadjuster has a spectacular aura aboutmiamiadjuster has a spectacular aura about
Early build. I picked up in April of this year. I was able to see that the recall was for 2012 and 2013 991s. Don't know if it's specific to Carrera S. Don't think it would be since it deals with the PDK cooling.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
It's to do with the changeover valves which can be affected under extreme hot driving conditions and very frequent gear changes and launch controls. According to my tech newer build cars would not be affected as it takes a while from diagnosis for Porsche to go through legal stuff and get the recall notice out. Porsche would have known about the issue for a while and they would have corrected it on newer builds.

Or something like that....!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Yet another headline rattle.. Please keep us posted on their findings.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
VikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the roughVikingMariner is a jewel in the rough
Say what you will. I love my 991S. :-)

Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts
Good thing I got a 7MT

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zmoney
Good thing I got a 7MT
Now now!... Lets not get too comfy remember that the 7 speed manual is new and who knows what could happen with that.

Lets face it, the 991 is a new car and at this point in its life cycle there are bound be to issues that are discovered only with real world experience and over time. Solutions are found and rolled out continuously with more towards the beginning of the series life cycle.

Btw, I am loving the pdk tranny!

Last edited by Haku; 10-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
littlebear is infamous around these parts
Just got an E-Mail from my dealer reg
Yes, It did just get released from PCNA, It is so new that parts have not been allocated yet. We should see some updates on availability soon.

I cut and paste this for you direct from PCNA...

Concerns:
Electric change-over valves

Information:

This is to inform you of a voluntary Workshop Campaign on the above-mentioned vehicles. There is the possibility that electric change-over valves, which may be susceptible to the ingress of moisture due to insufficient sealing, were installed in the affected vehicles. This can cause the change-over valves to malfunction over time.
As a result, control over the closing valves in the clutch cooling system (PDK) and gear wheel set (PDK and manual transmission) may be impaired.
In extreme driving situations (e.g. race starts, high ambient temperature, frequent gear changes), the transmission or clutch could overheat.

Action Required:

Replace the electric change-over valves for the gear wheel set heat exchanger and the change-over valve for the clutch fluid heat exchanger.
Additionally, all thermal management change-over valves of the same design must be replaced in order to ensure that all valves within the vehicle are of the same type.

arding PDK cooling

Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Haku
Now now!... Lets not get too comfy remember that the 7 speed manual is new and who knows what could happen with that.

Lets face it, the 991 is a new car and at this point in its life cycle there are bound be to issues that are discovered only with real world experience and over time. Solutions are found and rolled out continuously with more towards the beginning of the series life cycle.

Well said Haku! ++++1

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts

I Knew someone would be incensed by an innocent joke. Take it easy, pal. We're all on the same team here. I jokingly thought of posting directly after myself with a comment like yours Haku, just to head it off. But I figured I'd give this forum the benefit of the doubt. Clearly that was a silly mistake.
It's a transmission,not abortion or gay marriage.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Funny, mine's a May production (PDK) and my dealer says I don't have any recalls.

ChuckJ

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Same for April. No Technical Service Bulletin. Certainly not a recall, which is a very different animal.

Where did you sign up for email from Porsche NA? I may wish to do that if possible.

Last edited by VikingMariner; 10-03-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM
littlebear is infamous around these parts
Asked the porsche service manager about possible "recall" PDK cooling and he emailed back with the notice he just received this morning. 2012 carrera s which I got in April.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Zmoney

I Knew someone would be incensed by an innocent joke. Take it easy, pal. We're all on the same team here. I jokingly thought of posting directly after myself with a comment like yours Haku, just to head it off. But I figured I'd give this forum the benefit of the doubt. Clearly that was a silly mistake.
It's a transmission,not abortion or gay marriage.
Z, if you read my post as me being incensed you're mistaken. I was not in the slightest and did take your message in the spirit in which I think you meant. I'll be the first to state for the record that if my response came across to you as me being upset... I certainly did not mean it that way. Apologies! Agree, all friends here and on the same team.

Now back to the issue. I do feel that now and in the near future there are going to be issues with the 991 which may mean a recall. It's going to happen and we shouldn't get super upset... if one is not prepared to take that attitude it may be wiser to wait a year or so.

Btw, the manual tranny is also affected in this recall.

Last edited by Haku; 10-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.