View Poll Results: Have you had Protective Film applied to your 991?
Yes I have and would recommend it
59.57%
Yes but I would not recommend it
0%
Not yet but will be getting it soon
14.89%
No and I don't intend to install it
25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Protective Flim installed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
Hey haku, as often you go thru cars I don't know if it will be worth it. I never had any of my cars wrapped but I decided to do it on the gtr only because of the reputation of nissans poor paint. I had xpel ultimate and it looks good. Very clear and smooth. I'm now a believer. If the car is going to be a daily driver, track machine, or even used for spirited group drives I would do it. For a gargage queen, I'd skip it. There's a good installer on the north side of Atlanta if you want to make a short drive. He comes recommended by all the high end dealerships around here.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drdrilz
Hey haku, as often you go thru cars I don't know if it will be worth it. I never had any of my cars wrapped but I decided to do it on the gtr only because of the reputation of nissans poor paint. I had xpel ultimate and it looks good. Very clear and smooth. I'm now a believer. If the car is going to be a daily driver, track machine, or even used for spirited group drives I would do it. For a gargage queen, I'd skip it. There's a good installer on the north side of Atlanta if you want to make a short drive. He comes recommended by all the high end dealerships around here.
Very good info, thank you. I have to say one of the first thoughts I had was exactly what you stated about the short period I end up owning my cars. This one may be different. I'm so impressed with its versatility that I may keep it for 18 months or so. I do intend to do the occasional track event but mainly some spirited trundling on nearby hilly roads. I think I'm going for Xpel and not the Clear Shield. I'm checking out the Nashville installer tomorrow... fingers crossed.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM
dlbonder is infamous around these parts
Hey, Had a midnight blue "garage queen" Boxster for 12 years, it was mint, except for little nicks on front bumper and lower hood. On the new 911 S Cab, did the XPEL half hood,fenders and mirrors on Platinum silver. Its perfect. No line unless you look for it, and even then...glad its there !

Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
drdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the roughdrdrilz is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Haku
Very good info, thank you. I have to say one of the first thoughts I had was exactly what you stated about the short period I end up owning my cars. This one may be different. I'm so impressed with its versatility that I may keep it for 18 months or so. I do intend to do the occasional track event but mainly some spirited trundling on nearby hilly roads. I think I'm going for Xpel and not the Clear Shield. I'm checking out the Nashville installer tomorrow... fingers crossed.
Get a quote from Derek at Atl protective films in canton ga. He's the guys that does all the ferraris, a lot of porsches ( not at the dealers) and a lot of gtrs I've seen the work that porsche dealers use and would not rec them.
And yes, do the full hood in one piece. You can do that with he xpel ultimate.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Keep us posted on this. Which areas you're going to Xpel ??

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
Keep us posted on this. Which areas you're going to Xpel ??
Full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors. I'm off to see the wizard!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 AM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Haku, I also had him do door handles and gas cover

Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors. I'm off to see the wizard!
Add the A pillars too if it's not to late

Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by braindoc1
Haku, I also had him do door handles and gas cover
Just got back from Nashville and am glad to report that the installer was terrific and did a phenomenal install. I went through the various options and product choices and went with their recommendation and choose to go with the Prestige ClearGuard X film which Prestige describes as "ClearGuardX utilizes a nano-technology coating procedure to embed the clearcoat into the upper layer of the polyurethane that results in improved durability". I was surprised at how clear the installed product was...I am so pleased with the results. I'll take some pics over the next few days and post them up.

They did the full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, door handles and gas cover.

The installers are Paint Protection of Nashville and are just super nice folk. I spent a significant amount of time chatting and watching them work on the car. They really did a great job.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Just got back from Nashville and am glad to report that the installer was terrific and did a phenomenal install. I went through the various options and product choices and went with their recommendation and choose to go with the Prestige ClearGuard X film which Prestige describes as "ClearGuardX utilizes a nano-technology coating procedure to embed the clearcoat into the upper layer of the polyurethane that results in improved durability". I was surprised at how clear the installed product was...I am so pleased with the results. I'll take some pics over the next few days and post them up.

They did the full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, door handles and gas cover.

The installers are Paint Protection of Nashville and are just super nice folk. I spent a significant amount of time chatting and watching them work on the car. They really did a great job.
Glad that it worked out well. Look forward to the pics- these paint protection films are a must! I also have the doors edges covered by the film to protect against scrapes etc on my existing BMW-that's also very useful.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
Wise choice Haku-i have platinum silver yet and so far it is very difficult to tell that I have a clear film at all. I guess time will tell if it yellows etc... but man it brings me much piece of mind to know I have pristine paint under an area that gets lots of abuse from road debris. Sure if you get right up against the car you may find small outlines where the film was installed but to someone who did not know the car had it they would never know.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Prestige ClearGuard X

Here are a few pics of the film on the car. The pics are unsharpened and not manipulated in any other way except to resize and make them web ready. The intention is to give the viewer as realistic an impression of this film as I could.

Last edited by Haku; 10-10-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
The above looks exactly the same as mine. No line in the middle of the fender and the cuts at the edges and around the lights are very similar.

ChuckJ

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
The above looks exactly the same as mine. No line in the middle of the fender and the cuts at the edges and around the lights are very similar.

ChuckJ
That's great to know Chuck. No cutting whatsoever. For those contemplating getting the film installed one thing to note is to let the installer know the exact spec and options you have on the car. In my case PDCC meant a different pattern for the bumper.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
Any recommendations on where to buy this in Los Angeles?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protective Flim installed?