When No Matter How You Park ... or Why I HATE Honda Insight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Electrico has a spectacular aura aboutElectrico has a spectacular aura aboutElectrico has a spectacular aura about
When No Matter How You Park ... or Why I HATE Honda Insight

OK, a few things:

1] I am a longtime lurker, and this is my first post. This place is AWESOME, and I thank you in advance for keeping me out of jail tonight.

2] Just traded in a 2009 Base Cayman (LOVED that car) for a 2012 991 S. Modded the emblems, as you can see. Otherwise, she's factory ...

3] I don't REALLY hate Prius' ... (much).

OK, so I guess the pictures (sorry, iPhone jobbers) say it all. Got to work super early. Found one of the coveted-by-me end spots where you can park waaaay over from the only car next to you on the last legal space so nobody dings your door.

Behold:

I'll bet some of you can guess what happened already, but suffice it to say that I came outside to go to lunch to find that one of my colleagues, yes that's right, a co-worker, did this:

As you can imagine, I was overcome with ebullient collegiality. As I approached, (thinking all the while, there is no WAY he tried to get out on my side of his car, he couldn't, he didn't, he wouldn't), my heart was warmed and gladdened to see this evidence of his clear propensity for careful entries and exits from his beautiful and pristine vehicle:

He then came down, and being as I was SO collegial when I asked him to verify that he had gotten out on the passenger side, right?, right?, RIGHT?, he proceeded to explain how he tried and tried, but wasn't able to get out on the drivers side ("just couldn't get through") and finally had to get out on the passenger's side. So there. Sharp as a scalpel, this one.

The damage was minimal, I suppose, but it IS my first ding (ya feel me?), and more than anything I was just struck by how inconsiderate some people can be. The security guard was drawn to my collegiality in reaction to my coworker () and verified that I was in the last legal parking space, and he was illegally parked (and a bonehead, to boot, for blocking access to the parking garage). Then, all of a sudden, it was "how do you know it was me ( I have PICTURES!)," "can we NOT call insurance and let me pay you directly (when the security guard told him he was required by law to provide it to me)."

In the end, I walked up to him, told him I was going to get it polished and buffed out, that he could keep his money, and that "I'd never do this to you, man."

The security guard walked away shaking his head, and I drove away with my first ding and the beginning of a headache. I know it's very minor damage, and thank God for that. Truth is, it didn't strike me until later that if I hadn't come down for lunch, ol' Wile E. might have fawked it up big time had the ge-nee-us tried to get IN the car on the driver's side, his MENSA material clearly being in evidence at thinking he could have EXITED his vehicle on the driver's side to begin with.

It ain't a lie: Some people just suck, and stupid doesn't account for it.

Thanks, 6SOL, for saving me some bail money. Instead, tonight I'm going to take Malibu Canyon to the beach, take PCH to Decker Canyon, and take Decker Canyon home.

Prius? HA!

Last edited by Electrico; 10-12-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
wow...just wow. wow.

wow.

I feel you man.

wow. what can be said. just amazing, some people.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 PM
casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
wtf....

Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
The guy was an A$$ pure and simple. No respect for his or other peoples property. He's lucky it was you and not me for sure. I would have locked him in that little shed and pushed the damn Insight in front of the door. *THEN* I would have gotten a 10lb sledge hammer and kept hitting the metal shed yelling, how's your "Insight" now.

You should be able to touch that up without issue. It just shouldn't of happen though.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
It's people like that who really cut down on the enjoyment of having these super cars because we have to be mindful of those who aren't mindful of others, or themselves. I'm actually not even surprised anymore by this type of behavior, having seen it and experienced the same pain many times at my work. Someone actually pushed their car door out full force to make a huge dent, not a ding, in my car fender, even though I parked at an end spot and moved way over to give extra space on the other side. Sometimes people ask to be harmed and the law should reflect that these situations might be legally justifiable to do something to defend your car and your sanity.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
It never fails if I park in the middle of nowhere I will come back to find some idiot parked way to close, you handled this with class.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Really Sorry. This is one of my worst fears. I don't understand people sometimes. Considering you caght the person who damaged your vehicle, I would have attempted to call the police (I do feel bad because I know this is a waste of law enforcement time, but in my mind he committed a crime), filed a report against him, taken his insurance information, filed a claim, and made him pay. I would do everything possible to make this idiots insurance premiums go up so, HOPEFULLY, he will learn not to be so stupid and ignorant, and gain greater respect for people and their property. When I see people do what happened to you today, it makes my blood boil. I can't help but think this individual, out of jealousy, did it on purpose. It just doesn't seem possible that people can be this stupid. There is NO EXCUSE!! Unfortunately, in todays world, Common Sense and Decency aren't the norm.

Look at the edge of this disrespectful idiots door. He has damaged A LOT of vehicles!!

Anyways. . . . Really sorry you had to go through this today.

Last edited by dhill911; 10-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I'll tell ya what, that's not stupidity at work but envy!!!

There's certainly nothing "accidental" about it...
I mean look at the edge of his driver side door... he's hit that on "objects" so often it's down to the bare metal!

It's a good thing ya didn't end up in jail (I don't know if I would've had such self control...) you would have probably lost your job, gotten a criminal record and spend $$$$ on an attorney... he would have achieved more than he could have hoped for!
That said... at least make him pay $$ for damages or better yet put it under the insurance and make his premium go up... if not for yourself than do it for the next victim.
Because this joker won't stop until the cost of damaging other peoples pride and joy is going to actually start costing him money (or a good old fashioned @ss kicking, "flame suit on")...

Some will say "it's just a car"... but it's not, it's your baby, you worked your @ss of for that "toy" and even if it was for free it's done maliciously and with full intent of causing damage or provocation.

When I grew up in Amsterdam you were tough to be careful not to damage another man's ride out of common respect... and if that wasn't enough motivation for some, than the love of their front teeth would give them that moment of pause necessary to make the right decision.
Respect and fear were close cousins... not any more.

I've gotten much more mellow with age but I think I still have a looooong way to go...

BTW welcome to 6!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
I'm speechless and saddened at the same time.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Zmoney is infamous around these parts
Absolutely make him pay for any and all damage cost to your car. This has happened to me once at work. I'm a normal 6:30am-3pm weekday guy, and park in the same space. I worked an overnight shift on a Friday and figured with an emptier garage I would take a normal corner space on the first level. The shot with the blue Hyundai is what ensued. Never again will I take a normal corner spot, because of examples like this.
I only park in parallel spots and corners with the bonus unused spot to the side.

Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I cringe when I come across such examples...it's not a coincidence but pure envy. I'm so very sorry to see this harm done ... that fellow should've paid for doing this so he doesn't repeat!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 PM
dhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond reputedhill911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zmoney
I only park in parallel spots and corners with the bonus unused spot to the side.
+1 . . . I also have to add (I think about parking way too much when I'm out) . . . If you are going to park in a corner spot without the bonus section ZMoney speaks of, try to choose a spot where the other vehicles passenger door is next to you. You at least have a chance there won't be a passenger to open a door next to your car. Others may have thought of this, but if not, don't share it. We don't need everyone taking our spots. . . . 6Speeders ONLY

Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM
lawman800 has a spectacular aura aboutlawman800 has a spectacular aura about
I think exactly the same way that I would rather be next to the passenger door if possible but I also religiously stay away from Minivans no matter what side they are on because you have a greater chance there will be children and they present a danger because they don't know any better and they can scrape your car with their clothes zippers, toys, whatever, and the parents might not see or don't care when they do see what has happened.

Seen many times where a kid did something wrong and the parent blames the victim for it like some how their failure to bring up their kids properly is other people's fault.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
There are definitely preconceived notions about 911 drivers (we've all heard a ton of jokes) so I believe that there is a degree of spite involved in some of these incidents.

C'est la vie..

Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Wow you were really nice to just let him walk away without giving you anything!

A couple of years ago I got back to the Denver airport after a long trip abroad. I was parked in the second to last spot on a row, and last spot had an extra 6 feet of free space next to it. There wasn't a wheelchair ramp onto a sidewalk or anything at all in that 6 feet, it was just extra space too narrow to be a spot. There was a car in the end spot when I parked to leave for my trip and I had plenty of room to get out.

When I get back there's a new person parked in that end spot, and as I get closer it's apparent they parked pretty close to me. As I get up to my car, I find the driver had parked so close that my little 4 year old wouldn't have been able to squeeze between our cars! They actually parked with their wheels into my spot when they had 6 feet of extra space on the other side of their car! Our side mirrors were entirely overlapping with their mirror under mine, my wheel wells had 2" between them and the other person's fenders, and my running boards were about an inch away from their doors.

I'm 6'4 250 pounds and have two N-stage hips and a bad back, so any type of movement is tough for me. At the time I was driving a G-wagen which is a big car, but it has a huge center console and not a lot of room to climb around in the front seats. Getting across from the passenger seat to the driver's seat isn't an easy exercise for a small, healthy guy, never mind a big medically-challenged guy. This was the only way I could get in though so I ended up taking 45 minutes to maneuver myself from the passenger seat across to the driver's seat so I could leave. This was after over 40 straight hours of traveling back from the Middle East.

I've never keyed a car in my life but as I left the airport that day, I was in so much pain and aggravation that I may have left some nice mementos in the person's paint. There's inconsiderate and then there are people like that who are so blatantly mean or idiotic or who knows what. I wonder if the person did it on purpose because I was driving a very expensive gas-guzzling SUV in an ecomentalist state, or whether they were just that much of an inconsiderate idiot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When No Matter How You Park ... or Why I HATE Honda Insight