991 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
The article with the details specifically states no 7MT. And while I understand that some cats like to stir the gears, I LOVE my PDK more every day. I'd choose this option in a GT3.

And secondly regarding 450hp not being enough in this day and age:

1. It's how you apply it to the road
2. It's 50 HP more than the 991 CS2 which happens to be blowing minds around the Nurburgring each successive attempt. (the CS2 now owns the 458 italia, ZR1, and GTR.)
3. The 991 GT3 is naturally aspirated - and 450 N.A. hp is no joke in a horizontally opposed rear engine Porsche.
4. Wait for the RS or Turbo if you are worried of what your buddies might say about your measly 450hp.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Most guys who track prefer MT's. I think Porsche would lose a lot of potential 991 GT3 customers if these guys couldn't row their own gears.
That includes me. I've done a lot of track days this season and am interested in the 991 GT3, but not having an MT option could be a dealbreaker. Likewise, if the car has to have PDCC and PTV and they can't be turned off, that could also be a dealbreaker.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I used to feel that way too...

Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
I used to feel that way too...
How much do you track your car?

I'm more open to PDK than PDCC and PTV.

Preference for MT is mainly because I like the challenge and it's fun. Though I hear that the latest PDK in sport+ is great on the track, and of course it's convenient on the road also.

PDCC is an interesting concept, but I don't mind a little roll to help inform me on weight transfer, and the 991 without PDCC doesn't roll much anyway.

PTV is frankly 'cheating' in my book. It does something no driver can do, and people should learn to rotate cars with the brakes and throttle. Moreover, I'm hearing that PTV causes the rear brake pads to be eaten up quickly, at least on the track.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Manifold
How much do you track your car?

I'm more open to PDK than PDCC and PTV.

Preference for MT is mainly because I like the challenge and it's fun. Though I hear that the latest PDK in sport+ is great on the track, and of course it's convenient on the road also.

PDCC is an interesting concept, but I don't mind a little roll to help inform me on weight transfer, and the 991 without PDCC doesn't roll much anyway.

PTV is frankly 'cheating' in my book. It does something no driver can do, and people should learn to rotate cars with the brakes and throttle. Moreover, I'm hearing that PTV causes the rear brake pads to be eaten up quickly, at least on the track.
I just finished 2 days at Watkins Glen to end the season. All in all 11 track days with the 991S this year. The PDK is magnificent on track! I was just making the observation, justified or not, that track guys seem to strongly prefer manuals and IMO that will crimp 991GT3 sales.

PDCC: love it on track, especially through the chicanes. It also creates even tire wear and no more fiddling with camber, caster, toe etc.

PTV: also a fan but you are 100% correct -- it eats rear pads like nobody's business. You will go through rears more than twice as fast as fronts. Luckily they aren't that pricey and I watched my indy do the swap and it seems very manageable, though I'd like a buddy on hand to make sure the brake line doesn't bend when the caliper is removed. Or I may have to just go to Pagids next year

At higher speeds, even with PTV there is still a lot of performance to be gained by trail braking and throttle steer so I wouldn't call it a substitute unless you are driving at 7/10ths.

Last edited by KonaKai; 10-19-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
2. It's 50 HP more than the 991 CS2 which happens to be blowing minds around the Nurburgring each successive attempt. (the CS2 now owns the 458 italia, ZR1, and GTR.)...
I agree with almost the entire post, and agree with your premise...

BUT - if the C2S did not run a 7:19 (or less), I don't think #2 is true.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I track twice a year but I've been tracking cars for 25 years to some extent.

PDCC is my far and away favorite option - OMG. Lovely. You don't need body roll to "inform you about weight transfer." That's illogical. Body roll is a source of weight transfer of it's own. Go to Porsche Driving School in Alabama and you will learn about this.

And I won't own a Porsche without PDK again. At least a modern 911.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I agree with almost the entire post, and agree with your premise...

BUT - if the C2S did not run a 7:19 (or less), I don't think #2 is true.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/07/p...-time-w-video/

"The run took place on August 28, but Porsche only published the video this week. The 911's run was faster than independent tests of the Lexus LFA, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Nissan GT-R and Ferrari 458 Italia (which all posted times of 7:38). "

I'm only quoting an article. I don't follow these other cars times. You may know something I don't. Cheers.

Last edited by EricP; 10-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM
PDCC is my far and away favorite option - OMG. Lovely. You don't need body roll to "inform you about weight transfer." That's illogical. Body roll is a source of weight transfer of it's own. Go to Porsche Driving School in Alabama and you will learn about this.
Essentially the same weight transfer happens with or without body roll (simplifying a bit, multiply car mass times CG height, apply lateral G force, and then divide by track width). The roll is an indicator of the weight transfer, not a significant cause of it.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
nope

Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
nope
Nope what? Do you have your own laws of physics? Are they different in Alabama?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_transfer

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm not going to argue with you. We had the PDCC discussion a year ago. You hang out in the 991 area primarily and discuss what you don't like about the 991 ride, redesign, features, etc. Maybe you've come around and you like the 991 more now than a year ago, but there is no wondering if PDCC is a performance enhancement feature. It's simply not up for debate.

You may prefer body roll for personal reasons like someone else may still like the smell of gas in their vintage carbureted 356, but there is no denying PDCC enhances steering compliance and the handling characteristics of a cornering car. A flatter car is a better handling car.

And PDCC doesn't eliminate body roll entirely.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/07/p...-time-w-video/

"The run took place on August 28, but Porsche only published the video this week. The 911's run was faster than independent tests of the Lexus LFA, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, Nissan GT-R and Ferrari 458 Italia (which all posted times of 7:38). "

I'm only quoting an article. I don't follow these other cars times. You may know something I don't. Cheers.
Perhaps...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

ZR-1 - 7:19
GT-R - 7:24 (two years ago)

The article may have referred to the first ever test done with a GT-R 7:38, by SportAuto, who did the test again and got a 7:34 with a customer MY2010 (rather old, and perhaps the slowest of all the GT-R's).

The GT-R goes through incremental changes each year, and knock of multiple seconds with each revision (you can actually see this reflected here on this chart - starting with 2008). There are rumors of the new GT-R, running sub 7:20 already (MY2014 - GT-R's have been released here a few months earlier than other models).

The ZR-1 time has been well published on TV commercials, having been driven by "just an employee". Attempting to infer that anybody can drive a sub 7:20 lap with a ZR-1.

I'll avoid Ferrari lap times like the plague. That is a topic in itself.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 10-19-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Perhaps...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

ZR-1 - 7:19
GT-R - 7:24 (two years ago)

The GT-R goes through incremental changes each year, and knock of multiple seconds with each revision (you can actually see this reflected here on this chart - starting with 2008). There are rumors of the new GT-R, running sub 7:20 already (MY2014 - GT-R's have been released here a few months earlier than other models).

The ZR-1 time has been well published on TV commercials, having been driven by "just an employee". Attempting to infer that anybody can drive a sub 7:20 lap with a ZR-1.

I'll avoid Ferrari lap times like the plague. That is a topic in itself.
Leave it to autoblog to get their data wrong. Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm not going to argue with you. We had the PDCC discussion a year ago. You hang out in the 991 area primarily and discuss what you don't like about the 991 ride, redesign, features, etc. Maybe you've come around and you like the 991 more now than a year ago, but there is no wondering if PDCC is a performance enhancement feature. It's simply not up for debate.

You may prefer body roll for personal reasons like someone else may still like the smell of gas in their vintage carbureted 356, but there is no denying PDCC enhances steering compliance and the handling characteristics of a cornering car. A flatter car is a better handling car.

And PDCC doesn't eliminate body roll entirely.
Any data showing that PDCC significantly reduces lap times? Fine if people want to get it because they like how it feels, but that's not strictly a performance issue.

Yes, I'm continuing to warm to the 991, and seriously considering a GT3 for primarily track use. But need to wait and see how it turns out, and whether it can be configured to meet my preferences (ie, keep it relatively simple).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3