991 gt3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Source: http://blog.autoinjected.com/2012/02...only/#comments

Porsche: Next-Gen 911 GT3 Could Be PDK-Only…?
I’ve just read an article originating from Insideline that tells of the threat (yes, it’s ridiculous enough news to warrant it as such) according to Porsche 911 project chief, August Achleitner, that the next-gen Porsche 911 GT3 – remember now, the hardcore purists choice of 911 - could very well come with a PDK-only transmission…

According to Achleitner, both manual and PDK transmissions are being ‘evaluated’ for consideration in the next GT3 (and here’s where I roll my eyes) but apparently only one transmission will be chosen in the end for the hardcore GT3 and he reckons the boring-as-mud, poseur PDK will get the nod. Achleitner continues to blither on with false numbers and ridiculous statements, one of which being that ‘only’ 30% of 911 sales are manual stick-shift so therefore PDK is a no-brainer… huh..? That’s just poor business sense if you ask me.

The new 991-gen 911 - oh, how I squint further at thee...
The embarrassment continues when Achleitner says “When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint”. Sure you didn’t Achleitner… But then again, of course he’d say that as Porsche charges (and makes) a load of extra cash on each 911 that is ordered with the PDK. By that token then, I’d think I’d be safe in reminding Porsche that 100% of previous-gen 997 GT3 sales were manual transmission…? Despite what Porsche may think, not every 911 owner spends their time bragging about 0-60 times and impressing their friends with launch-control.

Seeing as how the next-gen GT2 and GT3 will also be fitted with the new (and highly-controversial) electromechanical power steering set-up that has already come under heavy criticism for its lack of ‘feel’ and reportedly synthetic feedback qualities, it seems an unnecessarily brash move against Porsche driving-purists (and proper drivers, in general) to come out swinging with this silly threat of ‘you can have this, or nothing at all’ type of statement.

Could there not be anything more 'wrong' in the sportscar realm than a Porsche 911 without a manual option...?
I call BS on the whole story – this is just Porsche, once again, ruffling-up the feathers of the automotive world and heaving mass attention in their direction for the sake of headlines and discussion…. Does Porsche really, I mean really, think that GT3 buyers will be happy as lambs with electromechanical power steering and PDK-only…? C’mon…

Porsche has been developing (and offering) a new 7-speed manual transmission for the new 991-based 911 already so I don’t exactly buy into Achleitner’s claims that this ‘populist’ PDK-only option/threat has any weight behind it at all.

The GT3 RS 4.0 - the last proper 911 aimed at driving purists/enthusiasts...?
And my friends actually wonder why the new plethora of sportscars continue to fail in exciting me anymore… So thank you, to all the flappy-paddle posers… you have now successfully contributed to the ruination of, what used to be, one of the greatest driver’s cars ever.
+1

Porsche is going the way of BMW.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Good, maybe you'll no longer see a point in arguing with me.
Yes, that's correct. Our car priorities are quite different.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Its coming!! Looks like the are preparing it for the marketing launch! I am very very excited about this car - 2014?. Hoping they offer it in 7MT!

Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
can't wait to see it. the wing is still a puzzle piece. the bumper is not the spy GT3 pics we've see but a Sport Design bumper instead. only the noticeable differences are the previously spotted 4-corner LED headlights & the CGT style door-mounted side mirrors with air channel, which i like it a lot!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Its coming!! Looks like the are preparing it for the marketing launch! I am very very excited about this car - 2014?. Hoping they offer it in 7MT!
Damn, how could who ever took these spy pics not have stuck around more and wait for it to be uncovered!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
This pics is making me foam at my mouth!... hmmm I think temptation may just get the better of me once the order books open up. And to think i said I'm done with GT3's?.... WRONG! PDK or not....

Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Personally, I don't care much how it will look. I want to know how it will be equipped, it's performance, and the price.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Manifold
Personally, I don't care much how it will look. I want to know how it will be equipped, it's performance, and the price.
Same! This is Porsche at its best. Was drueling at an RS yesterday!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Isn't it all about performance? IMHO, performance trumps tradition. If it doesn't, lets see everybody go back to the 20's and 30's era of racing. Everybody can be quiet and go back to those pizza-cutter tires while they're at it too. What, no takers?

I didn't think so. Poser my eye.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Isn't it all about performance? IMHO, performance trumps tradition. If it doesn't, lets see everybody go back to the 20's and 30's era of racing. Everybody can be quiet and go back to those pizza-cutter tires while they're at it too. What, no takers?

I didn't think so. Poser my eye.
NO it's not. 95% of people who buy one won't even buy it for, nor use the potential of the car. It's also about driver involvement and enjoyment.

If it was all about performance Porsche should have stuck a big V8 or Turbo's in it and some AWD to go along with the rest of the nannies.

Posers are the ones who talk about performance and don't know how to use any of it.......

Ring any bells?

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-27-2012 at 02:48 AM.