Nail in my Pirelli

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:05 AM
konstantin is infamous around these parts
Nail in my Pirelli

10 years of driving and never got a nail in my tire. Brand new Porsche, two months of driving and a f.... nail in my back tire.
It's too close to the edge so I assume its not fixable. Surprisingly the tire sealant worked but not sure how long it will hold.
Do new cars have a road hazard warranty on these? I would hate to buy a new tire ...

Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
At the time of purchase, I bought the tire hazard protection plan for this exact reason.
Because these babies are so expensive to replace, the $899 for 3 yrs of protection was money well spent

Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Oops, feel ur pain....it's going to be expensive to fix (over $600) plus labor. Better order from tire rack....

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
since the tire is pretty new, you can replace just one tire assuming the other side is within has 7mm of thread (within 2-3mm difference from new).

since you used the sealant, it'll be a mess to get the wheel cleaned up. you can forget about patching it. i would get a new tire soon before it left you stranded.

you can also look for a good tire deal on ebay or craigslist. make sure the tire is fairly new (date code stamped on sidewall) and stored indoors.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
khan is infamous around these parts
I did buy tire and rim protection just to be safe. Hate to pay for a 20inch rim.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
mtbscott is infamous around these partsmtbscott is infamous around these parts
Too late now, but I would never use the sealant unless I was stranded too far away for a quick flatbed excursion. It effectively ruins the tire even if it temporarily fixes the puncture, it should be used only as a last resort. Although I've neglected to pack one yet for my new car, on previous cars without spares I've always carried a plug kit to augment the air compressor. If it's not too big of a hole, that would usually work to get you home or to a tire shop.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Nice

Originally Posted by khan
I did buy tire and rim protection just to be safe. Hate to pay for a 20inch rim.
[IMG]
porsche 991S RED by khanpppk, on Flickr[/IMG]
I guess I'm in the minority in that I prefer the clean lines of non-sport cars, but it works perfectly on your car! Very nice, classic color combo, awesome car.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
Find an experienced tire dealer in your area and talk to them about putting in a cold patch or a hot patch to repair the tire (you may have to go to a tire shop that works on semi trucks or heavy equipment). This is a method that was used for many years, but many shops will only use plugs now (if the hole in within the tread pattern) because that is widely considered the best way to plug a hole in a radial tire.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KevinC
Find an experienced tire dealer in your area and talk to them about putting in a cold patch or a hot patch to repair the tire (
Kevin, if possible please enlighten us as to what is a cold or hot patch - i'm curious! Thx

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
KevinC is infamous around these parts
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl028a.htm

See the link above. In high school I spent one summer working as a mechanics helper in the garage at my father's sawmill. We repaired a lot of things, but I probably spent 30% of my time changing and patching tires on log trucks, forklifts, work trucks, etc. We plugged a lot of tires, but we also used patches depending on the location of the hole, size, etc.

Two other thoughts (1) if the hole is in the side wall I would replace the tire regardless of what anyone tells you; and (2) if there is any real risk of the patch failing, based on the location of the hole, replace the tire.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by KevinC
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl028a.htm

See the link above. In high school I spent one summer working as a mechanics helper in the garage at my father's sawmill. We repaired a lot of things, but I probably spent 30% of my time changing and patching tires on log trucks, forklifts, work trucks, etc. We plugged a lot of tires, but we also used patches depending on the location of the hole, size, etc.

Two other thoughts (1) if the hole is in the side wall I would replace the tire regardless of what anyone tells you; and (2) if there is any real risk of the patch failing, based on the location of the hole, replace the tire.
Thx much. In my own experienced, I've patched a handful of times (always from the inside). Tracked hard on those repaired tires a handful of times too. Not sure that was a good idea and I probably wouldn't do it again but FWIW they held up just fine. On a street tire I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if away from the sidewall.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 AM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Thx much. In my own experienced, I've patched a handful of times (always from the inside). Tracked hard on those repaired tires a handful of times too........they held up just fine. On a street tire I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if away from the sidewall.
Ditto....many inside patches and never an issue, even on tracked cars. Never on a sidewall, however.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
ronaldvetteron is infamous around these partsronaldvetteron is infamous around these parts
I had an 08 Cayman S and had just replaced the rear tires. 400 miles on the new ones and got a nail. I had to replace it.......close to sidewall. Fast forward........on my CR I got a nail in the right rear and replaced both rears (within a couple thousand miles of needing to be replaced). Two weeks ago, I got a nail in my right front. I have now replaced both of those. Those tires probably had another 8,000 miles or so left. I also bought the tire hazard plan. At this rate it will pay for it self many times over.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM
konstantin is infamous around these parts
Replaced it. 640 total cost

Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Fan26 is infamous around these parts
I always buy the tire warranty from dealer, it works out great especially the 991 tire runs like $600/pc, the warranty only costs $1200, and I usually changed 6-8 tires in my 3 yr lease cycle