991S Wheel selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
991S Wheel selection

Hi Everyone,
Looking for a little advice. Have a 991S Cab (white, red top and red interior) on order. Options inlcude Powerkit and Sportdesign front and rear spoilers and many interior options including 18 way adaptive seats. I thought I was settled on the standard Carrera S wheel but now am leaning to the Sport Techno wheel. Given the extra power I think the extra width on the rear tires along with the wider wheels just might make the whole package better.
Unfortunately the local dealer (and next one is 150 miles away) does not have any cars with the Sport Techno wheel for me to see. My question, and only question is in some pictures the Sport Techno wheel may not be the same shade of silver overall. In some pictures the little flair to the rear of each spoke seems slightly darker rather than the same shade as the actual spoke. Am i dreaming/seeing things? Are the complete spokes the same shade?

Thanks for the help.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
6sol4me is infamous around these parts
Seems only the wheel is .5" wider, but the tires are identical for all wheels. Is this noticeable?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20-inch Carrera S wheel

Alloy wheel in 5-split-spoke design
Standard wheel for 911 Carrera S with Silver-colored finish

Front Axle: 8.5 x 20 rims with 245/35 ZR 20 tires
Rear Axle: 11 x 20 rims with 295/30 ZR 20 tires

20-inch Carrera Classic wheel

Alloy wheel in 10-spoke design with two-tone look
Titanium Finish with a polished front face

20-inch SportDesign wheel

Alloy wheel in 5-triple-spoke design
Silver Finish

20-inch SportTechno wheel

Alloy wheel in distinctive 5 spoke design
GT Silver Metallic wheel center finish
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest

Front Axle: 9 x 20 rims with 245/35 ZR 20 tires
Rear Axle: 11.5 x 20 rims with 295/30 ZR 20 tires

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Snowczar
My question, and only question is in some pictures the Sport Techno wheel may not be the same shade of silver overall. In some pictures the little flair to the rear of each spoke seems slightly darker rather than the same shade as the actual spoke. Am i dreaming/seeing things? Are the complete spokes the same shade?

Thanks for the help.

John in Vancouver
Never seen one in person, but I think they are different shade from this pic

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
but look the same on this pic

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM
6sol4me is infamous around these parts
Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
First, on the question of size I think there's a typo in the tire specifications shown a few threads up. On the Sport Techno wheel the tire specification per the US and Canadian Tequipment Configurator is 305 not 295 as shown above. I was going with the Carrera S (I do want shiny) with the factory spacers but I like the 5 spoke design of the Sport Techno wheel better.

On the white car pictured above there definitely does seem quite a difference. But then, there was an option, now deleted I believe, where you could order the trailing fins ? etc. a different colour so not sure what these are.

On the colour issue I've seen photos like shown above some showing a slight shade and some not. The Porsche Tecquipment site shows no shadow. I'm trying to find someone who's seen the wheel personally to comment is there a difference (other than the polishing) of any significance.

John in Vancouver

Last edited by Snowczar; 11-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Dangerois is infamous around these partsDangerois is infamous around these parts
Sport Techno painted black

Here is a sport techno wheel painted black

apologies for the poor pic quality

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Boxy is infamous around these parts
This is my car with Sport Techno wheels, it is painted light grey from factory with polished metal surface on spokes. The rear tires are sized 305/30.

I am painting the grey part a little dark to really make up the contrast.

Worth mentioning that at the moment rear tire choices are really limited by size, P-Zero is the only thingI can find on market. MPSS etc simply do not offer this size yet.

Good luck.

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I decided to go with the Sport Techno wheel.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Brett@Sonnen is infamous around these parts
Love the Sport Techno wheel, but I am partial to the Carrera S wheel with the platinum finish on the white 991....

Attached Images   
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I prefer something shinier than the Platinum finish. Sport Techno is a bit of a compromize but going to stay with it given the larger wheels (wider) and larger rear tire.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
CDinSing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdc
but look the same on this pic

That looks like my car the day I picked it up from the dealer

Good choice, I love mine and the extra width does make a difference in handling. I know you are looking for white pics but here is the wheel on aqua blue.

Name:  photo2small.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  119.4 KB

Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
TiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of lightTiKORE is a glorious beacon of light
still running OEM lugs? check out our Titanium 2-piece Lugs for Porsche.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lug-bolts.html