Newbie...Factory Collection Q?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Hawkman is infamous around these parts
Newbie...Factory Collection Q?

Hello Guys!
Newbie P man here, been lurking and soaking up all the enthusiasm! Now it's time to get going!

I have a plan to do a factory collection of a White/Red CS in May next year, and then join a tour of Italian Lakes and Mille Miglia - been dreaming of this for ages!

Anyway from what I understand you can collect from Zuffenhausen where the 991's etc are actually made, or Leipzig where there's a driving experience available on the track. So the question is what's the best thing to do?...I'm leaning towards Z, to see birthplace etc. Any other tips re Factory Collection arrangements welcome!

Also, I'm in N Cal, North of Sac, appreciate any comments, suggestions re dealers. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hawkman; 11-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I would suggest delivery in Zuffenhausen and making appointment for Factory tour either that day or the day before. This needs to be booked well in advance but I think if you're picking up a car they might give some slack. The number of places available for the English language tour is around 15 to 20 each day. Also, the Museum is part of the same complex and that's a don't miss. Again, suggest doing the Museum the day before taking delivery also. Museum is not open Mondays. This would keep delivery day just for that. Get the car and get out and enjoy it! I've seen the new Museum 6 times and the factory 10! Always worth going back.

The factory/museum complex is an easy 10 minute train (SBahn #6) from downtown Stuttgart. Cost is Euro 2.60 each way.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks John!
Just what I needed!
Just gotta convince my wife that a day at the museum is vital preparation prior to collection!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
If she's not interested in the Museum send her shopping in downtown Stuttgart. They have one of the best shopping streets in Germany.

My wife has done the Museum with me twice but has indicated next trip to Stuttgart (probably September '14) she's going shopping this time. I was there twice in 2012! Also got to rent 991's on each trip. 991Cab in May and 991S Coupe in September.

It was when she and I were in the 991S Coupe with the Sport exhaust button pushed and we're about 120mph (we got to 183 mph - 295k! that morning) she turned to me and said that I should get one of these as a daily driver so being the dutiful husband I ordered the car below by noon the first day we were home.

As mentioned, do your Museum and Factory tour the day before pickup. Then she can go out to Zuffenhausen together to get the car.

My next Porsche (my 13th) is a special order 991S Cab (white/red top/red leather) is due for production on Janaury 16/13. I've special ordered before but never been able to tie into a trip over there to pick up and won't make it this time either. Maybe next time.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow, John
You're a very regular visitor to the factory - you probably have your own parking spot!

Talking Exhausts....I have heard the Sport button difference, but how much louder is the PSE? On a scale say of 1 to 10?
I'm planning to do some big road trips with it, and don't want a loud drone all the time!
.....made that mistake once before!

Thanks, Paul

Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Paul, it was the SPE that sold my wife on the car! It's noticeable but when on a "cruise" you can leave it turned off. When you go to Sport or Sport+ mode it goes on and I don't know if you can turn it off as I had it on 100% of the time with both rental cars. It's like music! Remember some of the enjoyment of driving any 911 is the engine/exhaust sound. It's a sports car after all and foremost.

My wife and I are not young spring chickens. I turn 70 in April. Exhaust sound is great!

It's not as loud as my Evoms modified Fabspeed on my 996TT Cab. From what I see on both Rennlist and 6 speedonline 991 forums many, many who didn't opt for it are doing it after the fact! I'm keeping the TT as a "TOY" and getting rid of a 2012 BMW 650 Cab which is too quiet and sedate even with my having increased the HP from 400 to 501. Fast in straight line but nothing in corners etc.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Hawkman
Talking Exhausts....I have heard the Sport button difference, but how much louder is the PSE? On a scale say of 1 to 10?
I'm planning to do some big road trips with it, and don't want a loud drone all the time!
.....made that mistake once before!

Thanks, Paul
My .02 ......having owned a 991S with PSE...normal being 1...PSE is 7 ish

PSE off the car is quite docile in the cabin and not loud at all IMO.

Congratulations on your new car and trip.....sounds like it will be a memorable experience!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Paul, I suggest you vist a friendly P car dealer and try the PSE both on and off on a test drive. What might be level 7 for some might be 5 for others. This would also let you check if you can turn PSE off when in Sport Mode.

John in Vancouver

Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
Paul, I suggest you vist a friendly P car dealer and try the PSE both on and off on a test drive. What might be level 7 for some might be 5 for others. This would also let you check if you can turn PSE off when in Sport Mode.

John in Vancouver
Yep, I've done enough research/ dreaming - have to switch to Action Mode!

Thanks for feedback/suggestions!
Paul